Arizona Overlanders

• HTML tutorial

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Last Saturday night or Sunday morning we headed out to Four Peaks road to watch the meteor shower. We left our house around 1:30 Hunt HWY to Bee Line. I was surprised the traffic and the offload area west of 87 and south of Sugarloaf there were lights of of trucks, Jeeps, SXS had to be at least 20 out there. Then we went 4-5 miles east on Four Peaks Road and found a place to set up our chairs. We stayed till around 4:15 and saw at least another 15-20 vehicles coming down from the east.

So is this a thing to go out in the middle of the night? Maybe if you put $3000 in lights on your vehicle you need to use them?

I was planning on camping up near the saddle once it cools down a bit, but who wants to camp with that much traffic. And the SXS are loud, you can hear them even before you can see the lights.

Oh and the meteor shower was just so-so. It was partly cloudy but we saw 25-30.

bawesomfels

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Phoenix, AZ
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Ockenfels
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Last Saturday night or Sunday morning we headed out to Four Peaks road to watch the meteor shower. We left our house around 1:30 Hunt HWY to Bee Line. I was surprised the traffic and the offload area west of 87 and south of Sugarloaf there were lights of of trucks, Jeeps, SXS had to be at least 20 out there. Then we went 4-5 miles east on Four Peaks Road and found a place to set up our chairs. We stayed till around 4:15 and saw at least another 15-20 vehicles coming down from the east.

So is this a thing to go out in the middle of the night? Maybe if you put $3000 in lights on your vehicle you need to use them?

I was planning on camping up near the saddle once it cools down a bit, but who wants to camp with that much traffic. And the SXS are loud, you can hear them even before you can see the lights.

Oh and the meteor shower was just so-so. It was partly cloudy but we saw 25-30.
I've been down Four Peaks pretty late before, 2am being the latest, but I never saw another vehicle other than my group. People may just be happy the area is open again? Or just maybe out to see the meteor shower too. In my experience that seems out of the norm.

AZBubs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Tan Valley, AZ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BHP
Man! if you haven’t been out to the east fork you have to go! Go to Big Lake and take the off highway route. Absolutely beautiful. The area is recovering nicely from the 2011 fires. You can see some more at our Instagram and Youtube @Providentpathfinders.

IMG_2813.JPGIMG_2814.JPGIMG_2754.JPGIMG_4168.JPGIMG_4174.JPGIMG_4175.JPGIMG_4196.JPG

tritonl

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Lukasz
Last Name
Mikula
Member #

Does anyone know if you can cross the Verde River at Verde Hot Springs? I have seen some older YouTube videos but it’s hard to tell where they are doing it.

Phessor

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Daryl
Last Name
Madrid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DTM
My weekend excursion in the Escudilla mountain area, very wet, great lightning show and lots of wildlife.

20180818_055117.jpg 20180818_055040.jpg 20180818_095910.jpg 20180817_191221.jpg 20180817_185819.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: AZBubs and jeepdaze

AZBubs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Tan Valley, AZ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BHP
Made a video of bits and pieces of the East Fork/Big lake trip. 90% of the time i’m too busy enjoying the outdoors to do video. I need to get better at that and flying the drone and overall planning out video ahead of time [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Reactions: Phessor

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
It's that time of year again, time to start planning the Arizona Convoy up to Off the Grid Rally West!

If you wanna go, registration is still open: Overland Bound Off the Grid Rally West 2018
If you want to drive up with the AZ convoy, RSVP to the AZ Convoy Rally Point Event
After you RSVP for the event, discussion will happen in this connected meetup thread

The plan will be roughly the same as last year with some slight variation. The plan will be to leave northwest side of Tucson in the morning, possible pickup stop in the Phoenix area, and a final collection of any northern AZ folks in the Prescott area. We will then head to Granite Mountain in the Mojave Desert for a night of sleep before rolling out in the morning to head to Camp Edison.

Pickup locations and times will be finalized once we have a bit of a roll-call of who is attending.

AZBubs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Tan Valley, AZ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BHP
Just got back from White Horse Lake camping (South of Williams), beautiful! Was a cool 70 ish, a slight chill in the air at night, Sure needed this! Saw Horses, Deer, Elk and no drunks! Here is a couple pics:
Never been up there. Was anyone catching any fish?

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Seemed so but I did not fish, WAS ON THE TRAILS AND ROADS EXPLORING. oops caps lock.

Enthusiast II

Usually west of the Rockies
First Name
Jess
Last Name
Pruitt
Hi! I am in downtown Phoenix. I hope to get more involved in the community I have been lurking around ;)
My wife’s a nurse so our schedule is always changing but hoping to make some meet ups

-Jess

Adventure4rx4

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Rathdrum, ID, USA
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
4rx4
Member #

Hello everyone I’m a new OB member. I’m Mesa. Does AZ have like monthly meet up or do we just post on here that we’re going somewhere and if anyone want to tag along. Just want to hit some trails.

Reactions: AZBubs and jeepdaze

AZBubs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Tan Valley, AZ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BHP
Hello everyone I’m a new OB member. I’m Mesa. Does AZ have like monthly meet up or do we just post on here that we’re going somewhere and if anyone want to tag along. Just want to hit some trails.
There hasn’t been. If you’re looking for regular trail runs look in to a club of some sort. Here is a sample... https://offroadpassport.com

Reactions: Adventure4rx4