louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
My name is Mike and a recent convert to Keto eating and I truly can’t believe how great I feel!! I’m very happy to find this thread. There is a lot of great information here, and I look forward to learning more about Keto on the road.
Keto is pretty good. I had a horrible diet of junk and I got overweight and had zero energy. My gut always hurt after eating and all doctors want to do is prescribe pills. I went keto and dropped over 20 lbs in a month and have a LOT more energy and no gut problems. I feel a lot better and keto is easy to do when camping so its easy to stick to. I even do intermittent fasting now and that helps. I read where fasting helps reset the body and actually helps the immune system, so that and keto has been a game changer for me.

alexdnick

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
A
Last Name
N
I just want to say to everyone advocating for Keto and anyone that might be here reading and thinking about doing it. The benefits come from the fasting factor of it, even if you aren’t really fasting at all your body still goes into a fasting state.

And I’m not here to argue, but the research behind Keto other than anecdotal evidence really isn’t there. And it can be very harmful. Since people’s bodies are all different, some people’s bodies will use the ketones to cause different types of cancer in the same way people have said sugars are linked to different types of cancers.

I know Joe Rogan advocates for it heavily, and I began doing it because of him at first and because I had cancer in the past. But I later learned from reading studies done on it that they for the most part have major holes.

I now eat mostly greens, tiny amounts of red meat every once in awhile, lots of fish(doesn’t have the hormones farm animals have and land dwelling animals in general that cause cancer, which is a plus for me) and a tiny bit of grains.

Feel free to PM me. I’m not here to argue just open a discussion and make sure everyone has the full story. Because I know I didn’t when I did Keto.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I know Joe Rogan advocates for it heavily
Joe Rogan was also very vocal about the moon landings being fake and then Neil DeGrasse Tyson got in his booty and he ended up doing a 180, so who knows about Joe, as with most of the talking heads, they flake the minute their money and sponsors are in question.. A lot of people are having health issues and it is linked to diet. Basically, studies are done on things, like saccharrin, and some scientists will find its bad and post a report. The big industry gets their people (all with credentials of course) to dispute it. Its all bullshit and anyone with walking around sense can see that big industries will put out bad products to make money and they lobby and do whatever to keep making the money. Its up to the individual to handle their own health if they choose to. I started having gut problems and long story short, I narrowed it down to mainly items that are GMO. GMO crops are engineered to accept glyphosate and not die, so crops like wheat, corn and rice are pretty much ALL GMO now and they absorb glyphosate and pass it to us. We eat wheat containing glyphosate and end up with problems and doctors will say we are "gluten intolerant" because they are either taught that and parrot it with no real knowledge, or they are afraid to go against the manufacturer of glyphosate, Monsanto. There may be some people who are intolerant to gluten, but if a person eats GMO wheat in the USA and has problems and then later eats non-GMO wheat in another country with no problems, I would say its not the gluten. By doing keto, I "cleaned up" my body and feel great. I can now introduce one particular item at a time and see what happens. I feel great on keto and then eat rice and my gut hurts. Now I know rice is off the table, etc. So, yes, I'm sure there are problems with EVERY "diet" out there, so like I said, we need to just handle things our self and figure things out the best we can. Look at the cell phone industry. Studies show that holding a phone up to your head causes cancer from the microwave radiation, but that info gets debunked or silenced. Most people aren't giving up their comforts no matter what report comes out, anyway, be it electronic devices or the comfort of quick easy food that is loaded with health harming additives.

Last edited:

alexdnick

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
A
Last Name
N
Joe Rogan was also very vocal about the moon landings being fake and then Neil DeGrasse Tyson got in his booty and he ended up doing a 180, so who knows about Joe. A lot of people are having health issues and it is linked to diet. Basically, studies are done on things, like saccharrin, and some scientists will find its bad and post a report. The big industry gets their people (all with credentials of course) to dispute it. Its all bullshit and anyone with walking around sense can see that big industries will put out bad products to make money and they lobby and do whatever to keep making the money. Its up to the individual to handle their own health if they choose to. I started having gut problems and long story short, I narrowed it down to mainly items that are GMO. GMO crops are engineered to accept glyphosate and not die, so crops like wheat, corn and rice are pretty much ALL GMO now and they absorb glyphosate and pass it to us. We eat wheat containing glyphosate and end up with problems and doctors will say we are "gluten intolerant" because they are either taught that and parrot it with no real knowledge, or they are afraid to go against the manufacturer of glyphosate, Monsanto. There may be some people who are intolerant to gluten, but if a person eats GMO wheat in the USA and has problems and then later eats non-GMO wheat in another country with no problems, I would say its not the gluten. By doing keto, I "cleaned up" my body and feel great. I can now introduce one particular item at a time and see what happens. I feel great on keto and then eat rice and my gut hurts. Now I know rice is off the table, etc. So, yes, I'm sure there are problems with EVERY "diet" out there, so like I said, we need to just handle things our self and figure things out the best we can. Look at the cell phone industry. Studies show that holding a phone up to your head causes cancer from the microwave radiation, but that info gets debunked or silenced. Most people aren't giving up their comforts no matter what report comes out, anyway.
Your last sentence is so true, so I feel anything anyone says is nuanced because feelings and emotions that have been held for a long time always stand stronger.

My main problem is so many of these Keto people eat straight meat. So many on Reddit(which I don’t use cause it’s full of lots of seemingly wrong info), Joe Rogan listeners, and Jordan Peterson followers, even my friends will just eat a pack of bacon for breakfast. And it’s that kind of Keto eater that I find is so misinformed, however mostly the ones who follow Jordan Peterson that do that. All because he says, and doesn’t show, his daughter is fixed and what not. And links it not to what Keto truly is, but to eating only meat. Not fasting and fasting states

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Been on Keto for a month. Down almost 20 lbs. And thank goodness, I can use the GVWR in my truck.
Got on keto 6 weeks ago after having possible diverticulosis and have dropped 28 lbs, so I'm right along with ya at 20lbs a month. Shooting for 190 or less...one more month to go. Haven't felt this good since my early 30s and no gut pains thats Ive had for the last decade. Life is good :)

keeflester

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Carradale, Scotland
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Lester
Member #

I’ve started keto about a month ago. Lost about ten pounds, but now I seem to have levelled off at 182 pounds. It’s quite difficult to get good information on what I should be eating. I understand the basic principles but doing the sums does my head in! I’ve been following recipes found on various web pages to make my own keto bread rolls, biscuits and various items. I’m an accomplished cook, but so many of the recipes don’t seem to work at all well. It’s quite hard to filter the bullshit from the genuine, so I’m trying recipes and ticking off the ones that work okay and gradually getting a list that works. Anybody else doing this? How have you got on with it? Wanna share recipes and food ideas? Particularly for eating and cooking on the trail.

Reactions: grubworm

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I love how it is suddenly new and called Keto. I was hypoglycemic for 30 years before becoming diabetic. I have lived on a low carb high protein regimen for 40+ years.

Going into ketosis can be fun for the first 3-4 days but the protein will curb your cravings. I feel much better on low carbs. The real issue is not just low carbs, but if you are going to have carbs, balance it with protein. Just know after a couple of months your body will plateau and your weight loss will slow drastically. Personally I have found that if I have a cheat day every 2-3 weeks, it does not slow my loss and cuts the plateau effect.

I will try to start sharing some of my recipes, especially for camping. Surprisingly enough, I find it easier to cook low carb on the trail than at home.

I love all the bogus info from people who know nothing. I eat mainly meat, eggs, and cheese. They scream...your cholesterol will kill you. What most find is that their numbers actually fall. Mine runs in the 130's (borderline low). They scream the fats will cause high blood pressure. I am almost 70 and my blood pressure is just fine, even on the low side for my age.

I make my living with my mind. I am a "rocket scientist" and I am constantly stretching my mental capabilities. I find on a low carb high protein regimen, my mental sharpness is at its best.

alexdnick

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
A
Last Name
N
I love how it is suddenly new and called Keto. I was hypoglycemic for 30 years before becoming diabetic. I have lived on a low carb high protein regimen for 40+ years.

Going into ketosis can be fun for the first 3-4 days but the protein will curb your cravings. I feel much better on low carbs. The real issue is not just low carbs, but if you are going to have carbs, balance it with protein. Just know after a couple of months your body will plateau and your weight loss will slow drastically. Personally I have found that if I have a cheat day every 2-3 weeks, it does not slow my loss and cuts the plateau effect.

I will try to start sharing some of my recipes, especially for camping. Surprisingly enough, I find it easier to cook low carb on the trail than at home.

I love all the bogus info from people who know nothing. I eat mainly meat, eggs, and cheese. They scream...your cholesterol will kill you. What most find is that their numbers actually fall. Mine runs in the 130's (borderline low). They scream the fats will cause high blood pressure. I am almost 70 and my blood pressure is just fine, even on the low side for my age.

I make my living with my mind. I am a "rocket scientist" and I am constantly stretching my mental capabilities. I find on a low carb high protein regimen, my mental sharpness is at its best.
Most of the benefits if not all of Ketosis can be found just from entering a fasting state. As that’s what ketosis is.

Worst part about Keto is the amount of hormones you are getting from red meat. And some cancers also use ketones to grow.

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

I have also found that some keto recipe sites have recipes that simply suck. I wonder if the people posting ever cooked at all before. Im a chef so i edit and twist recipes to my liking. As far as keto breads and such though i just dont crave bread anymore so pass on those.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I’ve started keto about a month ago. Lost about ten pounds, but now I seem to have levelled off at 182 pounds. It’s quite difficult to get good information on what I should be eating. I understand the basic principles but doing the sums does my head in! I’ve been following recipes found on various web pages to make my own keto bread rolls, biscuits and various items. I’m an accomplished cook, but so many of the recipes don’t seem to work at all well. It’s quite hard to filter the bullshit from the genuine, so I’m trying recipes and ticking off the ones that work okay and gradually getting a list that works. Anybody else doing this? How have you got on with it? Wanna share recipes and food ideas? Particularly for eating and cooking on the trail.
Like old_man said about a cheat day, it does work. I did this years ago and dropped weight quick the first 2-3 weeks and then stalled out. I was driving somewhere and saw a Dairy Queen and figured what the hell and got a giant Blizzard. The next few days I started losing again, so I guess the cheat days do help.

Reactions: keeflester

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I have also found that some keto recipe sites have recipes that simply suck. I wonder if the people posting ever cooked at all before. Im a chef so i edit and twist recipes to my liking. As far as keto breads and such though i just dont crave bread anymore so pass on those.
True. I used to be HEAVY on bread and was worried I'd miss it. The first few days were rough, but then I quit craving my regular junk. The other day the wife made some sweet kettle corn and I grabbed a bite and absolutely hated the sweet...and I was big on sugar too. My understanding is that the gut has a lot of bacteria in it and if we eat a lot of sugar, we feed that particular bacteria that likes sugar and the bacteria actually excrete something that makes us crave more sugar. When we quit eating the sugar, we quit feeding that bacteria and eventually quit having the cravings. I did hydroponics a while back and studied a lot on it and bacteria also play a big part with plants. Plants will actually send sugar down their roots to feed bacteria that excrete stuff the plant wants, so I totally believe that healthy gut flora is important.

Reactions: chuckoverland

keeflester

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Carradale, Scotland
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Lester
Member #

That’s similar to my situation. I’m used to cooking and baking having worked as a chef too. I don’t know enough about ketosis and weight control to go it alone, but that’s looking more and more likely as I progress. I’m grateful for the experience of others being shared here, I’m more likely to trust the opinions of people in this group who’ve been there, seen it, done it! Thanks for helping this beginner out!

PaintedHarlot

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Vale, OR, USA
First Name
Angelia
Last Name
Rictor
Member #

I'm a step beyond and am full on carnivore. But not my whole family. Really makes life and meal planning for me easy. Meat, meat and more meat.

Reactions: Radiant_red12

alexdnick

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
A
Last Name
N
Fasting is a step beyond and works well with Keto. I did a weekend trip with no food. Just water and some salt. It was so liberating not having to bring every thing but the kitchen sink.
Keto in and of itself is a form of fasting. You need to “fast” to get into ketosis. Which is why it’s good for losing weight but not fully proven for anything else.

Reactions: Winters Kamp

PaintedHarlot

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Vale, OR, USA
First Name
Angelia
Last Name
Rictor
Member #

Keto in and of itself is a form of fasting. You need to “fast” to get into ketosis. Which is why it’s good for losing weight but not fully proven for anything else.
My dr prescribed intermittent fasting and carnivore way of eating as a treatment for my autoimmune disease. It's been liberating. I no longer feel as though I am waiting to die. I can tell when I eat something I shouldn't. Keto has been proven to treat a number of medical ailments.