Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Hampton NH
First Name
John
Last Name
McLaughlin
Member #

So how do you guys fix your coffee while on the trail?

Right now I'm just mixing in coconut oil or butter, but this leaves the oil/butter floating. At home I'll blend it and I'm looking to do the same on the road. Do any of you have suggestioms for a travel blender? Possibly MCT will stir in better?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Tyler
I really like the hand blender Laird Hamilton sells with his superfood creamer

Reactions: KSTrekker

interscope8

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lafayette IN
Member #

Excellent info! Thanks for the post, we're just starting Keto and I was thinking about things to make on our summer trips.

AZBubs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Tan Valley, AZ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BHP
Going to show this thread to my wife. We have been doing Keto for 6 months. At first it was hard but we have built up a cookbook of stuff we like.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

KSTrekker

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lenexa, KS
Member #

Right now I'm just mixing in coconut oil or butter, but this leaves the oil/butter floating. At home I'll blend it and I'm looking to do the same on the road. Do any of you have suggestioms for a travel blender? Possibly MCT will stir in better?

Tyler
I saw where someone modified the lower part of an immersion blender to work with a cordless drill. I always have my Ryobi cordless drill and impact driver on the trail with me, so it’s not like I would be packing a uni-tasker device. I’ll post up some pics/video if it works.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

DaveT

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Member #

My wife and I have been Keto for nearly a year and a half now. We've both lost a significant amount of weight and feel better than we have in years.

I've found that Keto can be made simple as long as you don't have to be super adventurous with your food. I spend more time on the road for work than I do at home so I've gotten used to eating Keto simply and still have it be satisfying with enough variety that I'm rarely tempted to eat out.

I make enough coffee in the morning for a cup of Bulletproof coffee of plus a thermos black to last me the rest of the day. For the rest of the day I drink the coffee with heavy whipping cream. Until dinner time I'll have had nothing but fat. I never get hungry and I never feel poorly. At dinner I eat a bit of meat and lots of green veg. Typically a salad, kale smoothie, green veg like broccoli/asparagus/green beans and some kind of meat. Anything from hamburger patties to chicken thighs to steak to fish...as long as it's not too lean. Almost always pre-cooked and sealed in food saver bags. Frying pan, microwave, boil in bag...I have lots of options. I keep lots of coconut oil and butter around to keep the fat content where I need it to be and the flavour up...and hot sauce of course. Lots of hot sauce. The salad is a bit bulky but that aside I can carry a LOT of healthy calories in two smaller coolers. One plug in for stuff that doesn't like to get wet and one with some ice. The stuff I don't plan to eat right away gets frozen ahead of time so it stays colder longer.

KSTrekker

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lenexa, KS
Member #

My wife and I just did a 5-day trip for a Rover Rally in Texas. Sticking to Keto was actually pretty easy. We eat a pretty good breakfast that consist mostly of eggs and meat. We stressed about having quick items for lunch on the trail, but it really wasn't a big deal. We mostly snacked on cheese, nuts, and meat snacks. Dinner was typically grilled meat and a leafy green vegetable. Before Keto, we would have made pasta and potatoes with most of our meals, which takes a lot of time, fuel, and takes up space. Not having breads and chips in our pantry saved a ton of space. We never felt hungry or had low energy. I allow myself one 16oz Michelob Ultra (4g carbs) per day and my wife quit drinking alcohol, so we had tons of space in the cooler.

Todbasco

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Bentonville, AR 72712
Member #

Adapt Your Life has some great Keto energy bars. The coffee shots are pretty good too. I took those on a backpacking trip a couple of years ago. They're not cheap but great for targeted use, especially if space is a concern. They used to have fat shots that I loved but I don't see any on the website now.

drrobinson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Evergreen, CO, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Robinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0DRR

Tyler
I’m keto and travel (by air) every week for work. I’ve been making keto coffee by taking a small bottle of MCT oil and some stevia pellets with me and sourcing everything else at coffee shops.

Buy a tall brewed coffee at Starbucks, ask for some butter ( they have it for pastries) and the ask for cream (which they don’t put out, but have behind the counter). I use a 12oz Insulated Hydroflask with there lid that seals. Put 8oz of coffee, 1 Tbs MCT, 1 Tbs Butter, 2 Tbs cream, 1 Stevia pellet in and shake it vigorously. Works great.

If you want to do your own coffee, I suggest an AeroPress which is what I use at home. But then you have to source your cold items locally and that takes time and money because the quantities you have to purchase are too large. If I’m in the same place for a few days and have a refrigerator I do that instead sometimes.

Last edited:

drrobinson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Evergreen, CO, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Robinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0DRR
I saw where someone modified the lower part of an immersion blender to work with a cordless drill. I always have my Ryobi cordless drill and impact driver on the trail with me, so it’s not like I would be packing a uni-tasker device. I’ll post up some pics/video if it works.

I use a hand blender at home, but on the roads shaking it up in a stainless steel insulated Kleencanteen or Hydroflask bootleg work surprisingly well.

Sneaks

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Maine
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Swenson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1MUR
Next month will be 6 years Keto. There’s good groups out there on FB like the Keto Scirnce Alliance groups (disclaimer, I founded them though I’ve passed the torch to others) which has an excellent food group. I have a handful of Keto cookbooks I’ve authored so if there’s anything interested in ketofying and need help, let me know.

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

I meant to repost in here. We have got 6 months under our belt ( only cheated in vegas). Ive been wanting to go gluten free for a few years and keto was a good excuse to finally do it.
Its been a challenge, being a chef and toning down my home cooking was rough at first but has gotten easier with time.
I would love to see some recipes and ill share some when i find good new ones.
Oh and grains and flour? All soaked in Roundup.

Sneaks

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Maine
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Swenson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1MUR
If you don't mind PDF format, I'll share these to anyone that wants one for free. Excuse any typos, they are the pre-print proofs from a couple of my cookbooks that are on Amazon, but the price is right :).

Ketofy Everything but the Kitchen Sink (anthology of all my recipes)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/72x6zcob15tbz6e/Ketofy_Everything_BuCSP_Proof112116.PDF?dl=0

Eat Cake, Lose Weight (all my dessert recipes)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4vng9ik30hrk08p/Eat_Cake_Lose_WeighCSP_Proof111916.PDF?dl=0

Thanks, I'll Skip the Cake and Have More Bacon! (no snacks or dessert recipes)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z63de2kkhu8up00/Thanks_Ill_Skip_thCSP_Proof112116.PDF?dl=0

You can get print and Kindle versions on Amazon, all profits go to charity (Bruised Not Broken Canine Rescue, Shriner's Hospitals, Victory Junction Camp, and Gary Sinise Foundation).

BlueLineOverland

Local Expert, Arkansas USA

Experimenter II

Ozark Arkansas
First Name
Mason
Last Name
Berry
Member #

If you don't mind PDF format, I'll share these to anyone that wants one for free. Excuse any typos, they are the pre-print proofs from a couple of my cookbooks that are on Amazon, but the price is right :).

Ketofy Everything but the Kitchen Sink (anthology of all my recipes)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/72x6zcob15tbz6e/Ketofy_Everything_BuCSP_Proof112116.PDF?dl=0

Eat Cake, Lose Weight (all my dessert recipes)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4vng9ik30hrk08p/Eat_Cake_Lose_WeighCSP_Proof111916.PDF?dl=0

Thanks, I'll Skip the Cake and Have More Bacon! (no snacks or dessert recipes)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z63de2kkhu8up00/Thanks_Ill_Skip_thCSP_Proof112116.PDF?dl=0

You can get print and Kindle versions on Amazon, all profits go to charity (Bruised Not Broken Canine Rescue, Shriner's Hospitals, Victory Junction Camp, and Gary Sinise Foundation).

AWESOME! Thank you for sharing!!!!!

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

I eat a low carb diet at home but worry about it less when camping. Still, I try to keep my carbs to complex carbs on the road. The real key to nutrition is eating whole foods. You know, real food that comes from the earth, not a box or can.

As to coffee, drink it black. We make it with the Melitta pour over filters and holders. We do this at home or camping.

Reactions: Matt Hixson