Any Ketogenic “Keto“ Overlanders?

• HTML tutorial

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

Have you tried bulletproof coffee? Mct oil, collagen peptides, and grass fed butter (I use Kerrygold). So yummy, and the mct slows the uptake of caffeine so I am down to 1 cup a day instead of 3 and im not all shaky. Good stuff.

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

Good God, no. Not the way I want to drink coffee. I drink French roast which has far less caffeine than lighter roasts.

Sneaks

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Maine
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Swenson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1MUR
Acutely ADD here, caffeine is one of my food groups. Mellows me out, helps me focus, and let me ditch the amphetamine prescription:). I have a Bunn brewer, that 3 minutes for whole pot brew time is key when you down 12-15 pots a day...

Sneaks

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Maine
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Swenson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1MUR
Thanks, I hope to update it with mine this summer, that’s a buddy’s bus. Well, that’s if the snow ever melts:(

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

Guys, it's so easy, just eat real food - meat, fowl, seafood, veggies, fruit, dairy if you tolerate it, and go easy on the refined carbs. All these *diets* change and people rarely stick to them more than a year anyway. Just eat right. Get a little exercise. Don't smoke, be smart about alcohol and you will stay healthy and fit as long as your genes let you 'cause you can't do much about your genes. Just give them the best chance.

VI Overlander

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Fanny Bay BC Canada
Ham/GMRS Callsign
chernoble
The Keto diet has been a game changer for me. I have suffered from anxiety attacks and those have completely disappeared. With that my 2pm “crash” doesn’t happen anymore. I am able to focus on tasks better. We also use a more plant based approach but still love our red meats. No more planter on my left foot. I have also never been able to break through the 200lb mark, usually in the 210-220 range. I am down to 183 last checked. The days of carb loading are gone.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Yeah, I like the Keto diet, it definitely reset my body. I dropped carbs, sugar and quit using tobacco since I was going that far with getting clean.

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

We go on and off with keto. I have ibs and I Def feel way better when I eat 100% keto it's just hard to maintain for us. For me I miss crunchy potato chips. I can usually snack on pork rines which takes care of thr craving.

We want to switch the whole family to mostly keto but because my son had autism and has food sensitivity and basically only eats 3 things (and thry are not keto) I doubt it can happen.

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

We go on and off with keto. I have ibs and I Def feel way better when I eat 100% keto it's just hard to maintain for us. For me I miss crunchy potato chips. I can usually snack on pork rines which takes care of thr craving.

We want to switch the whole family to mostly keto but because my son had autism and has food sensitivity and basically only eats 3 things (and thry are not keto) I doubt it can happen.
Theres growing evidence that keto can help reverse some kids autism. Some interesting studies being done.
Check out the documentary 'the magic pill' on netflix.

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

Theres growing evidence that keto can help reverse some kids autism. Some interesting studies being done.
Check out the documentary 'the magic pill' on netflix.
Yah we watched that doc. That's what made us try keto. We are slowly changing his diet. So far we have gotten him to eat steak.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I am diabetic and have lived on a low carb/high protein regimen for decades. I find it works well on the trail. If I get time I will post up many meals I prepare on the trail. My motto is 'if it doesn't light up your tasetbuds, toss it"

Here is a teaser. Feeds many
Dice and fry up a can of spam in a large skillet.
remove after cooking and set aside.
Thin slice a couple of potatoes, leave the skins on and fry in oil. Liberally season with garlic salt.
Drain the oil (makes for a great fire starter that smells better than gas)
Once done, recombine with Spam and crack a dozen eggs over it and scramble it all together.
If you are from the southwest, add a touch of pico de gallo.

Great alone or over toast if you prefer.

My grandkids bug me to make it at home.

Reactions: Matt Hixson
E

Eric the Eric

My wife and I were on it for a year till we went to Europe and it's much harder to maintain there so we just didnt lol. That hit us like a bag of bricks. On an overland expedition I clung to cheddar smokies as a great easy meal. Missed the buns though lol. Great that mustard is keto though. We are not full keto now but keep sugar nearly completely out of our diets. Bread has made it's way back for the busy life convenience though.

Reactions: chuckoverland

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

We recently decided some corn tortillas or rice once a month wont kill us, man i missed enchiladas and stir fry! But still no sugar or gluten or most carbs.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
We recently decided some corn tortillas or rice once a month wont kill us, man i missed enchiladas and stir fry! But still no sugar or gluten or most carbs.
I think corn and rice are good, but all we get now are GMO corn and rice and there seems to be a big correlation to GMOs and health problems. It looks to me that even the gluten made by GMO wheat is now causing more problems than before it was GMO. I'm def leaning toward Keto to clean up my diet...

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

I think corn and rice are good, but all we get now are GMO corn and rice and there seems to be a big correlation to GMOs and health problems. It looks to me that even the gluten made by GMO wheat is now causing more problems than before it was GMO. I'm def leaning toward Keto to clean up my diet...
Not only the fact its all gmo, but also its soaked in Roundup. Aka glyphosate. Aka agent orange.
Im glad some of the court cases against bayer / monsanto are being ruled in favor of the victims of this stuff. Already prompting costco to stop selling Roundup.

JPM78130

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Braunfels, TX
First Name
Joe
Last Name
McGlothlin
Member #

Not only the fact its all gmo, but also its soaked in Roundup. Aka glyphosate. Aka agent orange.
Im glad some of the court cases against bayer / monsanto are being ruled in favor of the victims of this stuff. Already prompting costco to stop selling Roundup.
A coworker of mine has a son who, from a young age had a wheat/gluten allergy. In college my coworker's son studied for a year in Italy. He didn't have an issue with wheat/gluten in Europe and they eventually figured out that he wasn't allergic to gluten but glyphosate.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Yeah, thats true. The genetic modification was to make the plant resistant to glyphosate
eventually figured out that he wasn't allergic to gluten but glyphosate.
BINGO! Now that explains a lot. In the last few years I started having problems after eating certain foods. After lots of reading and trying to figure it out, the common link is that the foods that bother me are all GMO...mainly rice, wheat, corn. I was thinking that it was something in the modification, but they have all been modified to accept glyphosate, which they absorb and pass on to us. There is a big deal about being gluten intolerant, which could be accurate in a few cases, but the large influx just happen to occur after the GMOs were heavy on the scene.
I was reading Paleo and about leaky gut and all that and I will bet anything that it all links to glyphosate. Hard to get this info because of all the money involved and the governing bodies are easily bought off and/or intimidated.
I love this forum! Lots of smart people who are awake and have critical thinking skills. It looks like most "overlanders" are fairly independent, self reliant and are more in tune with the surroundings...be it natural surroundings or man made surroundings. My kind of folk!

Last edited:

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

Hard to get this info because of all the money involved and the governing bodies are easily bought off and/or intimidated.

Big pharma and big ag have a revolving door in and out of government positions....

Reactions: JPM78130