Launch Member

Advocate II

Marion, IN, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Winters
Member #

I’ve been blessed with staying on track with a low carb lifestyle. It’s truly the way mankind was meant to live. I’m almost 40 and I still feel like I can do what I was doing 15 years ago. It has helped me quit drinking way more than I was a few years ago.

alexdnick

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
A
Last Name
N
My dr prescribed intermittent fasting and carnivore way of eating as a treatment for my autoimmune disease. It's been liberating. I no longer feel as though I am waiting to die. I can tell when I eat something I shouldn't. Keto has been proven to treat a number of medical ailments.
It only has studies on rats and obese people nothing else

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I find that a low carb/high protein regimen helps with pain tolerance and my severe arthritis. My arthritis is so bad that I have no cartilage left in my knees and I double full knee replacement for Christmas.

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

It only has studies on rats and obese people nothing else
This is false, they are using keto to try and help autistic kids with some success. They are reversing diabetes and alzheimers in some cases. Regardless of all that i am enough proof for myself. Years and years of terrible stomach issues are now a distant memory and that makes it beyond worth it to me.

Reactions: alexdnick

alexdnick

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
A
Last Name
N
This is false, they are using keto to try and help autistic kids with some success. They are reversing diabetes and alzheimers in some cases. Regardless of all that i am enough proof for myself. Years and years of terrible stomach issues are now a distant memory and that makes it beyond worth it to me.
Who is “they” and what does “some success” mean? And if there even is a study for it, does it depict how the Keto diet is better for the disease than the other low carb fasting diet options? The only fully backed and published scientific studies and journals for Ketogenic diet are using obese people, and mice.

But it is the new fad diet even though it’s been around forever, and has had many people try to prove studies on it(which they can’t show a difference between this type of fasting diet and the other), it can even cause and advance diabetes in people.

The only evidence I ever hear is 100% anecdotal, and has never been recreated in a controlled environment.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Thanks for shitting all over this thread.
Ha! Yeah, I appreciate the guy's passion, but there is more to it than reading somebody's paper on studying a fat mouse. I had years of gut problems that went away after keto, so like you, I actually have personal experience to go off of. I feel great and I'm very happy with it, so until something changes, I'm keeping on with it.
My regards to the fat mouse....

Reactions: alexdnick

alexdnick

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
A
Last Name
N
Ha! Yeah, I appreciate the guy's passion, but there is more to it than reading somebody's paper on studying a fat mouse. I had years of gut problems that went away after keto, so like you, I actually have personal experience to go off of. I feel great and I'm very happy with it, so until something changes, I'm keeping on with it.
My regards to the fat mouse....
My point was, which was obviously missed, is that it’s not the Keto diet directly. It’s the fasting state it gets you in, and the small amounts of carbs you eat. Being vegan, pescatarian, vegetarian, and all other diets (pretty much, but not all) can reap the same benefits if you eat the proper amount of nutrition for your body at the correct times. Pretty sure there are more vegetarian and vegan body builders than there are carnivorous body builders.

My point was also to inform others that it can advance, and maybe even cause diabetes. So it really isn’t safe unless you talk to your doctor and get extensive bloodwork done. I mean a few pages back this dude says he puts his kids on it...wtf...

It can also increase certain cancer risks in people due to added hormones one will start eating with a higher meat intake. Plus if you aren’t eating grass fed grass finished meat, there’s a plethora of other potential long term side effects.

Last edited:

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

I get it. But as someone who suffered years of issues and having found relief means alot. I apreciate your caring enough to let us know risks we may not have known.
My thing is that i don't have a doctor. I don't really trust them. My mom worked in a hospital lab her whole career and has strong opinions on things wrong with the medical field.
Thats neither here nor there. Point is i guess that i hope more studies will be done and verified because interest has re emerged into these types of diets. My hope is that people will start to take up healthier eating habits and take their health more seriously.
P.s. One of the boss ladies at my company is using keto ish diet to treat her teenage sons epilepsy with some luck.
P.p.s. I dont fast, its bulletproof coffee in the morning lunch around 3 dinner late ( we are on restaurant industry time)

Reactions: Radiant_red12

Radiant_red12

Rank 0

Contributor I

Indiana, USA
First Name
Melissa
Last Name
Winters
I get it. But as someone who suffered years of issues and having found relief means alot. I apreciate your caring enough to let us know risks we may not have known.
My thing is that i don't have a doctor. I don't really trust them. My mom worked in a hospital lab her whole career and has strong opinions on things wrong with the medical field.
Thats neither here nor there. Point is i guess that i hope more studies will be done and verified because interest has re emerged into these types of diets. My hope is that people will start to take up healthier eating habits and take their health more seriously.
P.s. One of the boss ladies at my company is using keto ish diet to treat her teenage sons epilepsy with some luck.
P.p.s. I dont fast, its bulletproof coffee in the morning lunch around 3 dinner late ( we are on restaurant industry time)
I agree with you! I’ve been following this way of eating for over 5 years!
If we’re not sick, doctors aren’t making money!

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I feel great during a week long fast. Seems pretty simple, when I'm in pain, or healing too slow, a quick fast helps a ton.And I can ''cheat'' whenever I want to, unlike a diet. Interval fasting works for me as well, one meal on the evening.

I haven't gone carb free, nor see the need. Just reduced carbs, drastically.

If ''cheating'' restarts your weight loss, you weren't eating enough calories.

Low calorie diets tell your body that there is food, but sparingly amounts of it, time to store that energy and fatten up.

Fasting tells your body that there is no food. Time to burn energy to go elsewhere, release some adrenaline to hunt better.

Last edited:

alexdnick

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
A
Last Name
N
T
keto has been a thing forever, studies have tried to been done, and have been done. But don’t succeed

rcovich

Rank I

Contributor I

3161 South Wells Street, Chicago, IL, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Covich
Member #

I am starting to research both Keto and Paleo diets , I keep reading that Paleo diet is better because it is more flexible than the Keto diet. Has anyone tried both and do you have any recommendations for me to start ie.. cook books, books, quality websites etc..

Radiant_red12

Rank 0

Contributor I

Indiana, USA
First Name
Melissa
Last Name
Winters
I am starting to research both Keto and Paleo diets , I keep reading that Paleo diet is better because it is more flexible than the Keto diet. Has anyone tried both and do you have any recommendations for me to start ie.. cook books, books, quality websites etc..
YouTube Dr. Ken Berry. I also recommend watching The Magic Pill on Netflix or YouTube had it free

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Here's the funny thing: There is a lot of info out there, books, youtube videos, etc. I personally dug into Paleo and Keto pretty hard. A lot of it makes great sense to me and quite a bit is written by doctors and people with reliable credentials. Even with that, there is always a flip side with someone with credentials debunking and promoting something different. Even on a simple thread like this, people will troll and have negative things to say. The funny thing is that when I ate crap food, processed food, and drank cokes, etc, nobody trolls and says how bad that is. People eating twinkies and tons of junk food and getting diabetes rarely has anyone challenge that decision, but tell people you drop carbs and go heavy on protein and fat, and you get hammered. Basically, I just did my own research and then tried it. I had gut issues that fasting and keto stopped. I gradually started adding a few non-keto things to keto and eventually I was able to figure out most things that bother me and I ended up with a hybrid of keto that is working great. There is great info out there and over time you should be able to make an educated decision that is right for you...not everyone else.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Thank you
I read this book and got a lot of great info concerning food in general. One section was talking about how beans have a membrane that cant be digested and is used as protection...an animal eats the bean and it passes thru instead of being digested. we eat the bean and membrane and have gut issues because of it. just good info to get a better understanding of what we eat and how our bodies interact with food.

Last edited:

rcovich

Rank I

Contributor I

3161 South Wells Street, Chicago, IL, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Covich
Member #

I read this book and got a lot of great info concerning food in general. One section was talking about how beans have a membrane that cant be digested and is used as protection...an animal eats the bean and it passes thru instead of being digested. we eat the bean and membrane and have gut issues because of it. just good into to get a better understanding of what we eat and how our bodies interact with food

Thank you