Any Ketogenic “Keto“ Overlanders?

• HTML tutorial

Fueltilities

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Colorado
Member #

Forgive me if double posting is taboo. I just also want to add off the bat, in layman's terms, this diet is centered around high fat, moderate protein, and low carb. Now, go to Google and find the Keto Gains calculator and determine what your macros will be. This varies depending on what your weight goals are, whether you work out extensively or whether or not you intend to gain lean muscle and weight. The single most important thing about this diet is staying UNDER 20-25 NET carbs a day. When you look at ingredient labels, always subtract fiber from the carbs and that will give you total carbs. Then calculate what your carb intake would be by serving.

Generally speaking, you want to avoid processed foods, artificial sweeteners, refined fats/oils, alcoholic drinks, fruit juices, gluten, and grains. The books will go into more details on how and why you can cycle consuming more carbs and will educate more on how and why to avoid products like these.

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
I’ll check it out. Thanks. I lost 50lbs last year but I’ve put about half back on. I need something more sustainable to get back on track.

Reactions: TRT87

TRT87

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tennies
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Is there Keto for Dummies guide out there somewhere? I started looking at this diet last year but damn if it isn’t complicated.
GENERAL KETO KNOWLEDGE

@soonersfan,

So if you are like me when I started you may be wondering "what the heck is a keto diet". When I first starting researching I found lots of conflicting info and dogma. So here is the down and dirty:

What is Keto? What is called a Ketogenic Diet is not a diet, its a metabolic state where your body metabolizes fat into ketonies to be used as fuel instead of carbohydrates. There are many paths to put your body into a ketogenic state, Atkins, Paleo, Leanne Vogal’s method, vegan, etc. can all put the body in a ketogic state if you follow a Low-carb, High-fat, Moderate-protein meal plan.

In general the following macro-nutrient ratios will get most people into a state of ketosis:

Carbs: <30 grams (5-8%%)
Pro: 0.4-0.5g per lbs of body weight (10-20%)
Fat: Remainder of Calories (70%+)

After 2-4 weeks the body will adapt to using ketones for fuel (Commonly referred to as: Keto-Adapted, Fat-Adapted, Atkins-Edge, & many more). At this point most people can slowly increase their carb intake and stay in ketosis. How high depends on the person's metabolism. Some people can eat up to a 100 grams a day and stay keto, while others have to keep their intake around 20 grams.

There are lots of shady resources out there. Below are some credible resources about the keto lifestyle. These resources should answer most if not all of your questions and allow you to fully understand what, how, and why it works.

Things to Watch:

1. Dr. Jeff Volek, Many Facets of Keto Adaptation Health, Performance, and Beyond:
Link:
2. Dr. Stephen Phinney, Optimizing Weight and Health with an LCHF Diet:
Part 1: Part 2: Part 3:
Quick Read:
1. Dr. Adam Nally; The Principle Based Ketogenic Lifestyle . . . Part I
Link: https://www.docmuscles.com/the-principle-based-ketogenic-lifestyle-part-i/

Good Books:
1. Moore, J. & Westman, E.; Keto Clarity
2. Phinney & Volek; The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living
3. Phinney & Volek; The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance, 2012
4. Westman, E.; The New Atkins for a New You, 2010
5. Vogel, L.; The Complete Guide to a High-Fat Diet, 2017

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

- Tyler

JPM78130

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Braunfels, TX
First Name
Joe
Last Name
McGlothlin
Member #

@Caligirlnic,

I'll have to try the chia seeds. Do you soak them in water first? I read different things about them. I think some people even use them as an oatmeal replacement.

- Tyler
I don't know how yogurt works with your diet but I use them in place of steel cut oats with yogurt. I buy the black ones as well. I'm not sure there's a difference in the white and black but the black ones are literally 1/2 the price in bulk.

TRT87

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tennies
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
@JPM78130,

Plain Whole Yogurt is cool. I'll have to check it out, it's not the first time I've heard about using chia as an oatmeal supplement.

Do you know the chia to yogurt ratio, or do you just mix until it looks right?

Thanks,

-Tyler

JPM78130

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Braunfels, TX
First Name
Joe
Last Name
McGlothlin
Member #

It's about 1/8 cup chia seeds to 1 cup of yogurt. The way I do it is I'll put put the chia seeds, along with Bulgarian yogurt, in 80z jelly jars. Then I will add whatever toppings I want like blackberry, blueberry, honey-vanilla-cinnamon, etc and seal them up. I generally make 5 at a time on a Sunday and I have breakfast for the week. The chia seeds will expand a little and get soft but still maintain some of their nutty texture.
Hope that helps!

NightCrawler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
Is there Keto for Dummies guide out there somewhere? I started looking at this diet last year but damn if it isn’t complicated.
I personally started off my journey with Keto reading the book "Eat Bacon, Don't Jog" If you are one that needs an online community of like minded folks offering encouragement and diet ideas you an check out Ketology.co on Facebook or Instagram...I know they do challenges and share receipts. It a high school buddy of mine that has really transformed his life through Keto and is helping others do the same.

TRT87

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tennies
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
It's about 1/8 cup chia seeds to 1 cup of yogurt. The way I do it is I'll put put the chia seeds, along with Bulgarian yogurt, in 80z jelly jars. Then I will add whatever toppings I want like blackberry, blueberry, honey-vanilla-cinnamon, etc and seal them up. I generally make 5 at a time on a Sunday and I have breakfast for the week. The chia seeds will expand a little and get soft but still maintain some of their nutty texture.
Hope that helps!
Thanks, it sounds delicious.

Tyler

Reactions: JPM78130

Jux

Rank 0

Traveler I

Great list. I've been doing keto for about a year and a half and love it. I was a non believer until I tried it ... Suddenly I felt more rested, more focused and energetic, and I stopped craving all the terrible junk food I had been eating.

For anyone who is skeptical ... Just try it for two weeks, you might surprise yourself like I did.

Sent from my SM-G955U using OB Talk mobile app

TRT87

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tennies
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Great list. I've been doing keto for about a year and a half and love it. I was a non believer until I tried it ... Suddenly I felt more rested, more focused and energetic, and I stopped craving all the terrible junk food I had been eating.

For anyone who is skeptical ... Just try it for two weeks, you might surprise yourself like I did.

Sent from my SM-G955U using OB Talk mobile app
@Jux,

I've definitely felt a difference too. If you have anything to add to the list feel free to drop it in the thread. I plan on making a consolidated list for the Keto overlanders.

Thanks for the input!

-Tyler

Reactions: Jux

KSTrekker

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lenexa, KS
Member #

My wife and I have been following the Ketogenic WOE since Oct. 2017, but we haven't camped since we've been on Keto. I'll be following this thread for more info on following Keto while overlanding.

Last edited:

TRT87

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tennies
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
@KSTrekker,

Welcome to the thread. I plan on taking a short 5 day trip in a few weeks. I'll post some meals and feedback on the food list when I get back.

Tyler

Reactions: KSTrekker

Lost in Texas

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lubbock, Texas
Member #

We love the Cello brand Cheese "Whisps" They are like a cheese only cracker that is great as a snack. Added to a meal for some additional calories or use the crumbs in a salad or vegetable topping. We buy at Costco, but they are also online. They are completely shelf stable so they make for a great road trip add-on without need for room in the cooler for cheese.

Teague

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fairview, TN
Member #

If y'all haven't tried the Keto Kookies, they're pretty good. They're 1.4 - 2 carbs per serving, which is 2 cookies. We've had chocolate chip and snickerdoodle so far, snickerdoodle is really good. They're a little expensive, but they're really good.

Reactions: TRT87 and KSTrekker