Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Was planning on building a small box to sit on the floor on the trans tunnel for a little extra storage but found this little basket at grocery outlet for 4$ . Need to put some velcro or something on the bottom to hold it better.

20180129_103402.jpg

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Am getting tired of having to move my little crate of tools and stuff everytime I use my rig for work deliveries so I wanted to find a solution to keep everything put away and out of site.

The factory jack has a rather large bracket that holds it up.

20180203_155648.jpg

So i cut out the factory jack mount and stuffed the jack and jack tool bag under the seat and in its place I fit my compressor,straps , gloves, Rags , hand saw , machete and a gallon of water.
20180206_083749.jpg

20180205_154714.jpg
A much better use of the space. and I'm hoping I can fit all my tools in a roll up tool organizer and fit it in there then I would have nothing sitting on the floor Screenshot_20180203-130022.png

Reactions: Zdorf and Jimmy P

Old Griz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Idaho
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Clisham
Member #

Great start, I like the jack relocation idea. The jack space on my 01 k2500 suburban is big enough for a bag of tire chains to fit in and still have the jack mounted.
I watched a youtube video where a young couple took a Z71 suburban and gutted it behind the front seats. They built a frame to level the floor which created good storage below. Than they built up the floor for a bed and built it for storage below. These body styles are big for tight trails but can carry everything you need.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Great start, I like the jack relocation idea. The jack space on my 01 k2500 suburban is big enough for a bag of tire chains to fit in and still have the jack mounted.
I watched a youtube video where a young couple took a Z71 suburban and gutted it behind the front seats. They built a frame to level the floor which created good storage below. Than they built up the floor for a bed and built it for storage below. These body styles are big for tight trails but can carry everything you need.

I saw that video , good use of space but way more then I would ever need plus the kids need seats lol . Im not worried about fitting on trails the Tahoe is my dd/backroads Explorer rig I have a jeep I'm building for real trail use .

Crashed

Rank 0

Traveler I

Been super busy with work and doing some reorganizing and downsizing at the house but I managed to do a little lighting upgrade between trucks

My windows are tinted and being lifted my stock backup lights where crap so I got some cheap led flush mounts View attachment 46867
I always pull out the junk 3157s and replace them with leds it makes a world of difference, but the flush mounts are nice too

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Today's plan was to swap my rear springs back to a stock set for 2 reasons , I lowered the front down some so the ass was up in the air and a couple of the spring Clips had broken off . Headed down to get a set of Springs from a local salvage yard and when I went to get out I pulled on the handle and ...pop

20180215_081612.jpg

So my plans changed a little but I still got the springs

20180215_104414.jpg

After tracking down the parts it wasn't all that hard to pull apart and slap it back together

20180215_110309.jpg

20180215_125041.jpg 20180215_125049.jpg

Now I have another problem my outside handle is nice and black and the other ones are faded lol

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Ended up with a free afternoon with the munchkin so we headed out to find some snow and fun.

Snow was quickly found up in the hills around a local ohv area 20180218_124552.jpg 20180218_131014.jpg
Sent it was just me and the little one only attempted one easy Trail mostly we're just going for places to sled have lunch and a little campfire

20180218_131155.jpg 20180218_133725.jpg
20180218_150317.jpg

It was only about 3 so we decided we'd head to the beach to catch the sunset and had to have crazy idea picking up a cheap fishing pole and some fake squid to see if we could hook a rock fish or a perch or something got a couple of bites but all in all it was a bit too big of a tide change for the little amount of weight that I bought but still a good timehdr_00672_0.jpg

20180218_175833.jpg 20180218_180025.jpg

Reactions: StuntmanMike

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I was planning on swapping out my rear springs today bit the forecast called for snow and the kiddos got a early release bit I did manage to get a couple little items taken care of
20180220_113217.jpg

Put a rod holder in so I always have a rod or two with me because you never know when a fishing opportunity may come up .

20180220_111745.jpg

My tools and straps kept pushing against the little plastic storage door and popping out the plastic retainers so after screwing a couple buckles down I hope that'll hold it in place

20180220_114938.jpg

And this is my non permanent solution to hopefully keep snow clothes and fishing gear a little dryer when we're done doing stuff , I just got a couple of 1-inch Square tubes and tossed my rack I had for my Subaru we'll see how it works out .I've tried putting a clothes Rod up and bringing hangers but everything seems to fall off the rod when we hit bumps and stuff like that so we'll see how it goes I'll probably put a little 12 volt fan underneath to help circulate air

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Found out my chain holes on the receiver makes a excellent pole holder for plunking, it's munchkin approved . Got a bite but wasn't paying attention ,oh well next time 20180221_154129.jpg

Reactions: mjbateman01

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

A trip to strangulation... I mean triangulation point .

Been down with the flu the last couple days but I'm not the kinds person who likes to sit around so I figured going for a drive was just as close to resting as I was going to get . The fiance and I decided to check out a place called triangulation point a friend told me about , just a easy drive up some gravel roads to a good viewpoint.

Started the day off as we always do when we head out for adventures with big ass breakfast burritos and coffee . The fiance was doing a little preventive medicine in her coffee to not get my flu.20180225_083106.jpg

I was expecting a good amount of mountain snow but was greeted with heavy 38 degree rain and semi frozen slushy snow, and that leads us to the strangulation part of the trip .
20180225_095250.jpg
No the fiance is not a violent person by any means she is very mellow happy-go-lucky kind of person but she is a bit afraid of heights. When we started going up some of the gravel roads the locker kicked in and cause the rear end to start sliding out a bit little leading her to think we were going to crash off the edge of the cliff and her wanting to strangle me. We where fine and still making fine progress but tuned around so she would feel safer . As much as I like MTRs they do not like icy conditions so it was time to air down .

20180225_103552.jpg

Knocked them down to 15psi and we continued to explore around . Tried to find a less steep route up to the viewpoint but where stopped a few times by washed out roads , locked gates and even steeper roads .
20180225_110436.jpg

At that point my flu was starting to make a comeback and I was feeling drained so we started to headed back home with a stop at our favorite winery . It's a smaller Winery with some very unique amazing wines and some of the nicest people I've ever met, if you happen to go there tell them Shaun and Kerry sent you hdr_00677_0.jpg 20180225_143041.jpg
20180225_142844.jpg

Firehouse pizza is just down the road a bit so it makes it a convenient stop plus their pizza is amazing !!!!! hdr_00679_0.jpg

The beautiful ginger unicorn contemplating " why do I keep going places with this fucker he's gonna kill me " or something like that .
20180226_100952.jpg

We took the long way home passing by farms and woods and trying to avoid highways as much as possible and made it home early enough to watch most of the final ceremony of the winter Olympics.
hdr_00675_0.jpg hdr_00676_0.jpg

Reactions: Zdorf

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

So after the last little trip I started thinking some self recovery is in order sense I tend to head out with only rig . I have a winch I was saving for my project jeep but for now I think it will go on the tahoe. My goal is to keep it tucked behind the stock bumper as much as possible because I really don't feel like building a bumper at the present time

hdr_00683_0.jpg

Started off by picking up a cheapy harbor freight winch plate and sliding it behind the bumper to see what needs to be moved and cut to make it fit

After a little hacking off of the stock bumper and some plastic pieces it seems to tuck in there ok . Still need to trim the plates a lot more and make some mounts to go to the frame but I think that'll work
20180301_135032.jpg
20180301_135153.jpg