03 Grand Cherokee Overland Build

• HTML tutorial

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
On Thursday first thing we did was a dry steer test and found the potential culprit. The bushing for the IRO trackbar on the axle side was moving side to side about 1/4”. We checked the toe and it had moved 1/16” in. We had previously set it at 0. So this time we set it out at 1/16” to improve stability. We didn’t have time to get the control arms in though so we focused on swapping in a different track bar. I had a spare rough country bar with heim on one end that we swapped in but there is still some movement.

I’ll be ordering the KOR hard durameter bushing to put in the IRO bar.

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
I’ve been gone for awhile now lol. Between school/internship, graduation, working and hunting I’ve had no jeep time.

It’s due for some regular maintenance. Just put seafoam into the gas. Going to put a bottle in the oil too next oil change. Planning on plugs, wipers, thermostat, service transmission and diffs.

Planning some fun mods this upcoming year. Including a front bumper/ winch, rear tire carrier, 2x6 rock sliders, tank tuck, trimming fenders and whatever else comes up.

Here’s a few pictures of the jeep and the snow we got this past week. Somewhere between 4 and 6”.

70.jpg 71.jpg

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
That is all I've done so far. Tonight I went ahead and ordered spark plugs, pcv valve, and air filter for a tune up. I also will be changing the oil here soon. After reading through my build thread, I realize so much has changed. After exploring this forum I'm thinking my next couple mods will be a rear tire carrier to get the tire out of the cargo area, an awning sometime before the summer, 2x6 rock sliders to replace the stock rock rails, and maybe a winch by the end of the year. After reading @roamingtimber's build and seeing how clean the tire carrier came out I am looking into this next

Reactions: maxfederle89

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
Howdy! Like your build thread. Did you come over from Jeep Forum? I could never reset my password after they reset them a few months back. So now this is my primary forum. And so many of the older tutorial threads were broken and useless because of photo bucket...

Anyways good to read your Jeep progress. I like the flush mount front LEDs. I may need to do that when it warms up. You just used your floodlight wires, yes? That's slick when you have a trimmed bumper to utilize the wiring and switch that's already there.

So have you figured out your death wobble for sure yet? Seems like you've really fought it. I'm alwasys a little fearful for my WJ but I figure I may as well not waste time fretting.

Cheers mate!

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
Howdy! Like your build thread. Did you come over from Jeep Forum? I could never reset my password after they reset them a few months back. So now this is my primary forum. And so many of the older tutorial threads were broken and useless because of photo bucket...

Anyways good to read your Jeep progress. I like the flush mount front LEDs. I may need to do that when it warms up. You just used your floodlight wires, yes? That's slick when you have a trimmed bumper to utilize the wiring and switch that's already there.

So have you figured out your death wobble for sure yet? Seems like you've really fought it. I'm alwasys a little fearful for my WJ but I figure I may as well not waste time fretting.

Cheers mate!

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
Hey man! So yes I started on JeepForum and took a 4 month break or so from the forum because I was locked out and busy with working, school and an internship. I graduated so I now have some free time as I’m pursuing a full time job.

The bumper I taped off to see how it would look cut and decided to go for it. The fog lights still worked so I utilized the stock wiring and now I can control them on the headlight switch. The rear ones I wired up to a separate switch.

And the deathwobble. I replaced the ball joints with Spicers and that has alleviated the problem almost entirely. I still get some wobble over certain harsh bumps. But it hasn’t gone into a full on dw. The driveway alignment is still right on the money as far as tire wear goes. There is a spot by my friends house that I get dw, or at least used to, so we would turn the tie rod, and test to see if I got it. If I did, toe it in some. That worked well for me. The IRO track bar bushings are soft and I got dw a lot with that bar. I put the RC one I had with heim joint on one end and thats worked well so far. I would like to get the Kevin’s off road super hard durameter bushings for the IRO bar and put that back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Thanks. How do you use it, just dump it in with oil and you’re good?

Seafoam is good right before an oil change, but the MMO you add to the oil when you change it. I believe you add up to 20% of your normal oil capacity. for me, it was 1 qt MMO and 5 regular oil. You can also add it in the gas. It's been around for ages and I have zero complaints. It's actually helped with lifter tick.

Reactions: Old Griz

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
Seafoam is good right before an oil change, but the MMO you add to the oil when you change it. I believe you add up to 20% of your normal oil capacity. for me, it was 1 qt MMO and 5 regular oil. You can also add it in the gas. It's been around for ages and I have zero complaints. It's actually helped with lifter tick.
Cool good to know. I’m going to change the oil this weekend so can i put seafoam in now? I don’t have any strange noises at the moment but it has 183k on the clock

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Cool good to know. I’m going to change the oil this weekend so can i put seafoam in now? I don’t have any strange noises at the moment but it has 183k on the clock

Yeah, got ahead and add it and put some miles on it. When you change the oil, add MMO to the crankcase with the oil. I usually just buy the normal amount of oil and a quart of the MMO I add the MMO and the oil (minus 1qt) and run it. If it's low, add more oil. It'll help keep that engine running strong. I'm about to switch to the high mile Mobil1 syn oil. Heard good things on it's aid with older engines and the seals

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
Yeah, got ahead and add it and put some miles on it. When you change the oil, add MMO to the crankcase with the oil. I usually just buy the normal amount of oil and a quart of the MMO I add the MMO and the oil (minus 1qt) and run it. If it's low, add more oil. It'll help keep that engine running strong. I'm about to switch to the high mile Mobil1 syn oil. Heard good things on it's aid with older engines and the seals
Good to hear. That’s what I’ve been putting in mine. I really like the penzoil high mileage but switched for this current oil change

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
After reading around on this forum and watching videos I’ve come up with a few things I would like for my build that’ll make the jeep more independent.

Air compressor
Winch
Dual batteries
Storage drawers
Tire carrier with storage
Snorkel?

I’d also like to make the awning, get a fire extinguisher, and cooking supplies like the gas stove. We usually cook by fire but we’ve had times where it rains and you can’t build one.

Last edited:

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
After reading around on this forum and watching videos I’ve come up with a few things I would like for my build that’ll make the jeep more dependent.

Air compressor
Winch
Dual batteries
Storage drawers
Tire carrier with storage
Snorkel?

I’d also like to make the awning, get a fire extinguisher, and cooking supplies like the gas stove. We usually cook by fire but we’ve had times where it rains and you can’t build one.

Yes to all of those upgrades. I'd run a second battery if I had room, but I also went with a deep cycle AGM battery that should have similar functionality like a dual setup would. I run my spare on my roof basket and use the spare wheel bay for storage. No drawer system yet but I still want access to the spare wheel bay and to be able to sleep in the back. I'm actually in the process (well, it's come to a halt) of making my awning. It's basic so far but I want to have a more rigid setup. Good luck!

Reactions: maxfederle89

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
Yes to all of those upgrades. I'd run a second battery if I had room, but I also went with a deep cycle AGM battery that should have similar functionality like a dual setup would. I run my spare on my roof basket and use the spare wheel bay for storage. No drawer system yet but I still want access to the spare wheel bay and to be able to sleep in the back. I'm actually in the process (well, it's come to a halt) of making my awning. It's basic so far but I want to have a more rigid setup. Good luck!
Thanks for the idea. I suppose I could do an AGM battery. My last wrangler had one and it worked well with the winch and extra lights. I enjoy wheeling (rocks, mud, and sand here in NC) so I’m trying to make one rig do it all. Currently I keep a bunch of tools and recovery gear in the tire well now. That would be relocated to the drawer system and I could then do a tank tuck. How did you do your awning?

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
nice wj I have been on the fence on one for a while. The 4.7 scares me you see so many of the blown up because of lack of maintenance.
Yeah I know. Our lkq yard is full of them. Fortunately I know the guy that owned it took care of it. He had receipts for everything he did to it including diff fluid and oil changes.