03 Grand Cherokee Overland Build

• HTML tutorial

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
Okay so even after replacing the bushings I still get deathwobble. It isn't as frequent but I have still gotten it. Going back under to check everything. All components are tight though

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
Still working on getting this deathwobble problem resolved. Yesterday I replaced the tie rod ends on the drag link and was going to replace the one on the passenger side tie rod as it had a little play in it but I can't get it out to save my life. I screwed it in to where it was and am getting it realigned tomorrow morning. Well this didn't solve my issue. It still came back. Today I had someone help me weld in a washer to fix the axle side trackbar bolt hole. This still didn't fix it. I'm going to get it aligned again tomorrow after all this work and I hope this will help it.

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
Today I took it back to the shop to get an alignment and balance the tires. He found one had a broken belt. He put that one in the rear and it feels so much better but I still get the death wobble.

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
Today I had planned to do both cv axle shafts and put the new tie rod end. Pretty simple right? Turns out just about everything was seized. This made the passenger side replacement take like 2 hours then it started to rain.

A friend of mine has been helping me work on my jeep and diagnose this deathwobble. Just about everything has been replaced besides the ball joints.
54.jpg

Reactions: Jimmy P

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
Finally started working on the rear camping lights in the stock bumper. Thought I have everything perfect but the first hole I cut had the crossmember about 2" behind it. I needed 3" to flush mount the lights so I put the square cutout back in and semi melted it back in place.

I discovered as long as I'm outside of where the hitch mounts to the frame everything clears. Here's a few pictures.
55.jpg 56.jpg 58.jpg 59.jpg 57.jpg

Reactions: Arailt and Jimmy P

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
I went with 1/4" hardware, the rear lights I used one 2" lag screw for the corner that lines up with the foam, and for the other bolts I drilled a 3/16" pilot hole in the plastic then ran the machine screw through it and put a stop nut on the backside. I had the cut a little of the underside of the bumper so I could get my arm and a wrench up in there. I also used washers to space it so it's focused rearward instead of out to the side

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
Lately this thing has been nothing but problems. First it's the shaking in the front end over bumps, then the battery charge issue and the sunshade won't close and the sunroof let some water in yesterday. Ugh. I know it's an older car but my wrangler never had any problems and it was 5 years older.

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
Today turned into a very busy day. Battery was low again so I brought the alternator back to be tested. This time it failed so I got a new one under warranty. I also changed out the battery terminals and the corroded negative cables with the help of a friend. He also wanted to take a look at my toe setting and turns out it was off big time. We thought it was the shop setting it to stock spec. After playing with it a bit, wait for it, NO MORE DEATHWOBBLE!!!! I'm so happy haha. I also took a trip to Wilmington to pick up 5 BFG mud terrains. Can't wait to get them mounted up.

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
Finally bit the bullet and got a new AC compressor, evaporator, dryer, accumulator and orifice tube. I ordered the compressor kit off of rock auto and got it installed by a local shop.

Side note, living in NC is hot and humid about 8 months out of the year. It's nice to have the air back after a year of keeping the windows down

Yes that is a new alternator as well. Lots of parts replaced recently. Next up is to dial in my alignment again. The insides of both my front tires are getting worn much faster than the rest of the tire.
61.jpg

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
I've been so busy this summer working, traveling, moving that I haven't had much time to work on the jeep as much as I'd like to. Mods have sort of ceased for the moment and probably will until around December when I finish my internship and graduate. Once I get a real job I plan to make this a weekend toy and buy a truck to daily. Mods will continue then, but for the time being I need it to run well and fix the problems it has currently.

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
I want to put the longarms that I got from a friend in the rear soon, fab up some sort of awning, and install d ring tabs in the front to replace the tow hooks. Eventually I'd like to also do the tank tuck but that looks to be far out right now because I like having a place to store my tools.

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
The past few days after driving, I would come back to the Jeep and my key fob wouldn't work so I'd have to unlock the door manually and then it wouldn't or anything. After realizing it's the terminal that were loose it would fire right up. This happened 3 times this week so this morning I fixed that by winding the wires together tighter and bolting them down all the way on the clamp and terminal bolts.

I also noticed the upper radiator hose was sliding off, likely due to a loose/aging tension clamp so I pulled that up where it should be. If it starts to slide again I'll replace it with a regular hose clamp.

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
Jeep won't crank again. This time it's a starter. It just clicks when I turn the key

Out with the old and in with the new. What a difference! It fires up immediately now with no hesitation. I should have known it was dying.
64.jpg

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
Lately I've been having trouble getting it to start even after a new starter. Finally found out why though. The two power wires going to the battery terminal are slipping out of the clamp style terminal. I replaced it with a lead free terminal with a wingnut and crimped a terminal connector on the power wires and all is good now.

Reactions: maxfederle89

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
Not today but yesterday replaced shot balljoints with spicers, timken wheel hubs, powerstop drilled and slotted rotors and carquest brake pads. Also cleaned up some of the rusty bolts. Did a redneck alignment and tires are now straight. Sometime this week I'm going to get my replacement tires in the front because the shot balljoints killed the inside of the tires.
66.jpg 67.jpg

Reactions: maxfederle89