03 Grand Cherokee Overland Build

• HTML tutorial

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
Good call as long as the cable is out of the way of anything that could damage it, also take into consideration any edges or objects that may contact it in a collision. Exploding batteries are less fun than they sound!
Yep I’ve seen one before. I work for advance auto at the moment. With the glass mat battery it won’t explode though I believe

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
Love the WJ!

We are having rigs and coffee meetups the last Saturday of every month in Charlotte. We would love to have more Jeeps there! Keep an eye out for the Rally Point!
Thanks! I’m in Greenville so that would be kind of a hike for me. I will if I’m in the area though

ZRex

Rank VII
Launch Member

Explorer I

Elizabethton, TN
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klepp
Member #

Yep I’ve seen one before. I work for advance auto at the moment. With the glass mat battery it won’t explode though I believe
I used to work for them as well. AGM when they decided to lay all of the AGMs off. [emoji849]

The AGM battery shouldn't explode, but it still wouldn't be good to have a dead short!

Reactions: tsteb112

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
Just catching up on your build, it's looking great! I really like the job you did on the bumper and accessories, it looks fantastic and very functional.

Also, great wheeling pics. Solid axles FTW! Makes me miss my old ZJ. I'm currently looking for a 3rd gen 4Runner to build, but this makes me question whether I want to get a WJ instead! Only thing that was initially putting me off another Jeep was that my ZJ was always nickel and diming me on stuff. Never anything major, just something annoying always needed attention.

If I went WJ, I would def go V8, Ltd. Once I went up to 31's, I hated the 4.slow in my ZJ. Solid as an anvil, but very pokey. (not that the 3.4L in the Runnah is going to be any better).

Question: Now that yours has some years and mileage on it, how do the gerotors in the axles perform? Do they still function as they should (AKA quasi lockers or ltd slips)? Those are the big draw of the LTD to me.

Thanks!

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
Just catching up on your build, it's looking great! I really like the job you did on the bumper and accessories, it looks fantastic and very functional.

Also, great wheeling pics. Solid axles FTW! Makes me miss my old ZJ. I'm currently looking for a 3rd gen 4Runner to build, but this makes me question whether I want to get a WJ instead! Only thing that was initially putting me off another Jeep was that my ZJ was always nickel and diming me on stuff. Never anything major, just something annoying always needed attention.

If I went WJ, I would def go V8, Ltd. Once I went up to 31's, I hated the 4.slow in my ZJ. Solid as an anvil, but very pokey. (not that the 3.4L in the Runnah is going to be any better).

Question: Now that yours has some years and mileage on it, how do the gerotors in the axles perform? Do they still function as they should (AKA quasi lockers or ltd slips)? Those are the big draw of the LTD to me.

Thanks!
Thanks for the compliments. As for the gerrotors, I feel they work well when really needed. I mostly rock crawl so once one wheel starts to slip the other will kick in shortly after. I enjoy my 4.7 HO. It runs well with the bigger tires and extra weight I usually carry.

Reactions: StuntmanMike

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Well guys and gals, I sold the WJ yesterday to someone sorta local. Going to be getting a JKUR tomorrow. It’s been fun, I’ve learned a lot and I hope to see y’all on the trails.

While it stinks that the WJ had to go, that JKUR looks ready as is. What year is it? How is it spec'd out? Looking forward to a build thread for it! I have a different rig in my scope within the next few years but I'll probably keep the WJ around.

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
While it stinks that the WJ had to go, that JKUR looks ready as is. What year is it? How is it spec'd out? Looking forward to a build thread for it! I have a different rig in my scope within the next few years but I'll probably keep the WJ around.
it’s a 2010 sport with a 44 rear with chromoly shafts, geared 5.13, arb air locker, rubicon transfer case, dynatrac prorock 44 front axle with rcv shafts, geared 5.13, arb air locker, psc hydro assist, atx streetlock wheels, 37x12.50x17 cooper mid terrains, poison spider fender flares,s pod, cb radio, jcr front stringer bumper with a warn 9.5cti winch w synthetic line, hood louvre, poison spyder rear tub mounted tire carrier, no bumper, evo rock sliders, 3.5 rock crawler long arm lift, and a ton of spare parts including driveshafts, chromoly rear axles, hd tie rod, a box of sensors, a box of driveline related items such as yokes u joints etc, 3 sets of headlights, evo trail doors with soft uppers, trektop soft top, wheel hubs, and I’m sure I’m forgetting a few things.

Anyway I’m glad to be back in the wrangler life. I had a 98 TJ on 33s, sold that got a 03 Grand Cherokee Overland that I lifted out a tire carrier on and was running 32s, and now the jku.

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
Oh and I just put the WJ up for sale last week just to see if I got any bites. Fortunately I sold it and now I have some extra money to do some mods on this thing. Not much more to do but I have a few ideas

offroadinclined

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Moncks Corner, SC, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Neacosia
Member #

Service Branch
Navy Veteran
Jeep won't crank again. This time it's a starter. It just clicks when I turn the key

Out with the old and in with the new. What a difference! It fires up immediately now with no hesitation. I should have known it was dying.
View attachment 45118
What starter did you buy? I have to replace mine. I wanted a Mopar one, but haven’t seen one on the sites.

offroadinclined

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Moncks Corner, SC, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Neacosia
Member #

Service Branch
Navy Veteran
That is all I've done so far. Tonight I went ahead and ordered spark plugs, pcv valve, and air filter for a tune up. I also will be changing the oil here soon. After reading through my build thread, I realize so much has changed. After exploring this forum I'm thinking my next couple mods will be a rear tire carrier to get the tire out of the cargo area, an awning sometime before the summer, 2x6 rock sliders to replace the stock rock rails, and maybe a winch by the end of the year. After reading @roamingtimber's build and seeing how clean the tire carrier came out I am looking into this next
Do you still have the stick rock rails?

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
Do you still have the stick rock rails?
Hey there, I went with a car quest reman starter from advance auto. Nothing special. Swapped in and it fired right up. As for the rock rails, it did still have the stock steel ones that came with the Overland models. I did sell the Jeep awhile back but I’m happy to help with anything you need. I don’t have any parts for the wj anymore either.