Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Im over it. There arent enough diesel chevy Colorado's around here to fill a 5 gallon bucket so wheeling with like vehicle and part interchangeability is out, sure there are online clubs and forums but its not worth it to me to deal with all the hate on the web to find one person with a like vehicle that I can get along with then drive a couple hundred miles just to hang out. Spares for my truck are a pain in the ass to get to begin with since Chevrolet parts dept. is the only place I can get critical parts and they are super expensive still. Just finding 2 jugs of dexos2 oil to do a oil change is a enormous task where I am.
Why the problem with oil. Texas is not Tim buck too ? The government has been using diesel powered Chevrolets for decades now in the suburban SUV's. Probably where the idea of the Colorado came from. If the Colorado is as good as owners are claiming, the after market people will be filling their shelves very quickly since in the after market world Chevy is king.. I wont be finding many Land Rover Discovery's on the trail either but some one will pull me out if I don't make it and I don't care what brand does it as long as I can get back.
I know I shouldnt laugh at this, but it brings me full circle. Ill be fully open and honest: Im happy to spend all day talking to cattle and my dog over conversing with the average member of society. At least I know when I get the "WTF" look I can just throw some range cubes or some other treat out and they are happy hahahahahahahaha. I make lite of this post of yours, because #1 - I can fully relate; #2 - your phrasing, while serious, is awesome; #3 lastly if people would actually read this and get introspective they might actually see how right you actually are.

If I was closer to TX Id volunteer to head out on a weekend. Im all about weekend trips like that. Dont give up and more over dont get discouraged. There are more people in your same situation than they let on. I know Im one myself. I dont get along with many so that limits my available circle of "groupies" if you will.

As the wise Van Wilder once said, dont take life too seriously, you never make it out alive. I feel your situation and words, if we get enough working through this we might be able to figure it out.
Very well stated, there are many of us in the same boat when it comes to friends and relationships. Hang in there people, we always manage to get through it come hell or high water.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Because some dipshit in a zr2 jumped his truck thinking he was gonna baja in a stock truck? I see my chevy offroad every weekend and i havent broken anything in the 3 years ive owned it. View attachment 104983
Your attitude explains alot.
But this is turning out be a Chevy design problem. I've seen 5 others with the same bent frame. None of them were actually "jumping" the truck. They just hit a dip or speed bump a bit quicker than normal. But no one else in the group bent their frame.

It seems to be this hole at the cab/box/shock mount junction where the frame bends.

IMG_4420.jpg

Time will tell if this is a serious problem..... or just driver error.
So far it seems to be design related.

I hope Chevy comes up with a simple fix soon.

Last edited:

jmbugno

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

McKinney TX
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Bugno
Member #

Its just a general observation (by me) that there seems to be a clique mindset amongst alot of offroaders. Why do jeeps only want to offroad with other jeeps, toyota with toyota etc? I drive a chevrolet but i dont care to only run with chevrolets id like diversity on the trails. Its really boring seeing pics of 10 rigs that are nearly identical aside from the color in a convoy on the trail. Lets mix it up and stop being rig snobs. I guess i cant find anyone that will run trails with me because i dont know of any other chevrolet colorados in my area that are willing to flex their truck. Hell Id roll with a group of adventure bikes if they would let me into their tight knit clique.
Even here where there are all kinds of rigs from subarus to unimogs it seems folks want to stick with their type of vehicle. To me it seems like vehicular racism.
I agree.
I will wheel with anyone as long as they are not a jerk.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Nothing is as convoluted as the ownership of automobles.

I can agree with that.
Looks like im compatable to run with these models then if parts changeability is the issue.

Evolution of R428 DOHC with 1,800 bar (26,000 psi) common rail injection system and piezoelectric injectors

Applications:

2010–2012 Jeep Cherokee power: 200 PS (147 kW; 197 hp); torque: Manual transmission: 410 N⋅m (302 lb⋅ft) automatic transmission: 460 N⋅m (339 lb⋅ft)

2010–present Jeep Wrangler power: 200 PS (147 kW; 197 hp); torque: Manual transmission: 410 N⋅m (302 lb⋅ft) automatic transmission: 460 N⋅m (339 lb⋅ft)

2011–2013 Chrysler Grand Voyager/Lancia Voyager power: 163 PS (120 kW; 161 hp); torque: 360 N⋅m (266 lb⋅ft)

2013–present Chrysler Grand Voyager/Lancia Voyager power: 178 PS (131 kW; 176 hp); torque: 360 N⋅m (266 lb⋅ft)

2013 Isuzu, Isuzu DMax, Holden Colorado, Holden Colorado 7 power 180 PS (132 kW; 178 hp); 470 N⋅m (347 lb⋅ft)
(Updated November 2013)2014–present Isuzu, Isuzu DMax, General Motors, Holden Colorado, Colorado & Holden Colorado & Nova S10(Brazil) power: 200 PS (147 kW; 197 hp) Torque: 500 N⋅m (369 lb⋅ft)

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

But this is turning out be a Chevy design problem. I've seen 5 others with the same bent frame. None of them were actually "jumping" the truck. They just hit a dip or speed bump a bit quicker than normal. But no one else in the group bent their frame.

It seems to be this hole at the cab/box/shock mount junction where the frame bends.

View attachment 104984

I think its a zr2 issue ive never seen this with the normal colorado z71. Thats where the cab meets the bed right? Ill have to look later if i have that hole in my frame, if so ill box it in with some 3/4 steel.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Nothing is as convoluted as the ownership of automobles.

I think sports are pretty well convoluted (I don't think I have ever used that word before, very interesting word) .
I stay away from the sports guy's except for Racing, any kind of 4 wheel racing or off roading. If your a stranger in the crowd and talk cars, trucks, mechanic'ng, I'm listening and conversing and you are automatically my best friend for life.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I hope everyone from OB remembers the second OB motto: “Does not matter what you drive, just get out there.” I tell people that I am a Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Jeep, Land Rover, Toyota Guy! I did not like it when groups of people did the same thing in my many years of riding touring motorcycles! You were not considered a real motorcycle enthusiast if you road anything other than a Harley! But way back when, I just laughed at my fellow motorcyclist that were wrenching on their bikes, I would say, have fun with that, I’m going for a ride! Vance.

Reactions: Jedi

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I can see the frame being bent DOWN in the middle...what the hell causes that?? Looks like it was jumped and landed straddling a big tree stump
Could be that but It was likely jumped and landed on another whoop in the rd, ive also seen it happen when trucks are having a tug o war contest bend up or down from the torque of the other truck vs torque of bent truck usually there is already a crack in the frame from jumping stuff, i guess people who want to jump just have to learn the hard way why trophy trucks have a chromolly tube chassis.

Reactions: grubworm

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

View attachment 104984

If they all bend in the same place it is definitely a design flaw. The frame in the picture seems a bit narrow to me. If I had one I would definitely have it plated under the dip in the frame and up the sides.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Looks like the frame bending is a user issue since its not really a new thing amongst other trucks.
View attachment 104986
HOLY COW. Does look like he landed on top of something pretty big. A normal bend in the frame would be in the opposite direction.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Could be that but It was likely jumped and landed on another whoop in the rd, ive also seen it happen when trucks are having a tug o war contest bend up or down from the torque of the other truck vs torque of bent truck usually there is already a crack in the frame from jumping stuff, i guess people who want to jump just have to learn the hard way why trophy trucks have a chromolly tube chassis.
Yes, nothing stock will take that kind of punishment. If your going to use a vehicle in a competitive event it should always be modified for the occasion. Otherwise you are just asking for trouble that stupid cant fix.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Here is where the pic of the broken zr2 originated from read through and you will see what happened wasnt the trucks fault the guy overloaded it and thought he could fly down the trail.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

HOLY COW. Does look like he landed on top of something pretty big. A normal bend in the frame would be in the opposite direction.
I'm thinking the shocks bottomed out.... hard.
Which might mean they had no compression damping.
Note the "position sensitive spool valve damping" decal.

3 of the 5 I've seen on various forums had the same decal. Maybe the other 2 also they just never posted the picture. These are brand new trucks I cannot believe 5 guys were all out jumping their Chevys. And if I've seen 5 on forums, I bet there are more.

The other pictures of bent frames are on old trucks, think rust and or abuse. But these are brand new trucks.

Last edited:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Heres another, not jumping, he just missed the dip, 25mph if you believe him...
the more I see these, the more I'm convinced it is related to the shock bottoming out.

64637531_10157279129360902_2038427779745185792_n.jpeg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
It happens in alot of ways.
Someone failed to reinforce the frame on that truck before they added all that wrecker equipment weight. Therefore the bent frame was not a manufactures design element. The truck was miss used and under reinforced.