Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Heres another, not jumping, he just missed the dip, 25mph if you believe him...
the more I see these, the more I'm convinced it is related to the shock bottoming out.

View attachment 105003
This has to be a design flaw in my opinion. The bend is in the wrong direction for a jumping bend.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I love this video, note the axles get trussed, the front drive shaft disappears, the engine moves to the box.
The ultimate 2WD mid engined jump truck. 40 years ago.

This is why we don't wheel with Chevy guys, they are insane.... just joshing

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Yep rust is an issue on alot the trucks that bend like that and it happens to all brands. although i doubt the zr2 was rusted He had to have felt the bump stop hard. I definately think he was lying about going 25mph when he hit the dip and he said the trailer was under weight well he didnt factor in the unsprung weight of that trailer being catapulted up and down.
I haul way more than the 7700lbs the z71 is rated for weekly moving livestock, hay and equpiment and have only had a slight issue with it swaying at highway speeds. Fully loaded with my winch, contractors rack, kayaks, recovery and camping gear im at 6500lbs offroad and have never felt like its gonna break anything. 2 weekends ago i pulled a semi truck with a half loaded 23 ft trailer out of a ditch on us30 east of greenville he slid off in a thunderstorm and the only thing that was giving me any worry was the leaf spings were flexing like crazy it took a minute to get traction on the wet road but i eventually tugged him out. Im in no way a chevy fan boy i own 2 other ford trucks and have owned dodge and nissan trucks but this little diesel has impressed me for its size.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I think its a zr2 issue ive never seen this with the normal colorado z71. Thats where the cab meets the bed right? Ill have to look later if i have that hole in my frame, if so ill box it in with some 3/4 steel.
3/4" ?????? LMAO, both sides too !!! LOL

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I love this video, note the axles get trussed, the front drive shaft disappears, the engine moves to the box.
The ultimate 2WD mid engined jump truck. 40 years ago.

This is why we don't wheel with Chevy guys, they are insane.... just joshing

The frame didn't bend, maybe everything else, but not the frame.(it had to be altered) Trucks don't come with boxed frames as far as I know. That's why SUV's are better, they have boxed frames.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Spool-Valve Damper
Found in: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE, Chevrolet Colorado ZR2

The seemingly simple spool-valve damper takes the trial and error out of passive damper tuning by permitting engineers to achieve the exact force/velocity curve they choose using known hydraulic equations. Spool valves, which consist of a spring-loaded disc acting as the lid of a topless cylinder, allow oil to flow through precisely shaped ports in the sides of the cylinder as the spring is compressed. The area of the port exposed to permit oil flow is a function of the force applied to the disc. The greater the force, the more area is exposed for oil to flow through. The shape, size, and location of the ports and the stiffness of the spring determine damping force. Spool-valve dampers vary in the placement of their valves, though the simplest varieties used on road cars locate a spool valve on both sides of the piston—one to manage compression and one for rebound.

I'm betting this is the problem, the variable rate opens completely and the shock bottoms out offering zero compression resistance. Hammering the frame down on the flattened shock.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

The frame didn't bend, maybe everything else, but not the frame.(it had to be altered) Trucks don't come with boxed frames as far as I know. That's why SUV's are better, they have boxed frames.
I think they destroyed 40 trucks during The Fall Guy series. Before they got it right.

Boxed frames vs C frames.
The Jeep problem since the YJ has been the boxed frame trapping moisture etc and rusting from the inside out. Same with ALL boxed frames. The CJs all had open C frames and those frames were not notorious for rusting out since nothing got trapped inside. I'd tale a C frame any day over a Boxed frame.

Or I'd move to New Mexico, Nevada, Arizona and get away from the rust belt.

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Spool-Valve Damper
Found in: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE, Chevrolet Colorado ZR2

The seemingly simple spool-valve damper takes the trial and error out of passive damper tuning by permitting engineers to achieve the exact force/velocity curve they choose using known hydraulic equations. Spool valves, which consist of a spring-loaded disc acting as the lid of a topless cylinder, allow oil to flow through precisely shaped ports in the sides of the cylinder as the spring is compressed. The area of the port exposed to permit oil flow is a function of the force applied to the disc. The greater the force, the more area is exposed for oil to flow through. The shape, size, and location of the ports and the stiffness of the spring determine damping force. Spool-valve dampers vary in the placement of their valves, though the simplest varieties used on road cars locate a spool valve on both sides of the piston—one to manage compression and one for rebound.

I'm betting this is the problem, the variable rate opens completely and the shock bottoms out offering zero compression resistance. Hammering the frame down on the flattened shock.
I'm not going to ever debate you. Your to damn smart for dumb folk like me. I'm not joking here, you know your stuff pretty damn good. :tonguewink::tonguewink:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I think they destroyed 40 trucks during The Fall Guy series. Before they got it right.
I don't know why but I don't think I ever watched that series. I was wondering while watching that video why, when they wrecked it so many times, it still looked good. I bet the series sold a lot of Chevy trucks to guys who thought they could really do those things.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Frame is pretty thin there. Check it out.

We see cliques because the easiest way in, for a newb with a checkbook, is to buy exactly what the experienced guys are running. Rocking a LandRover in a Jeep club might fit in fine, but you have less flex. That might be an issue. If you buy a Jeep, you're guaranteed to fit on their trails fine.

No real cliques by me, due to scarcity. If your ride fits, you're in... I prefer fullsize open spaces lately, saving tight trails for my bike.

.....but we all hate GM's. Haha.

• Haha
Reactions: Billiebob

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Absolutely I'd gusset the shit out of it with 3/4 plates both sides maybe front and back too. Would beat having to completely back half my truck with tube
LOL, reminds me of a time when I built my first circle track race car. I built the cow catcher bumper on the front of the car out of 2" ID - 3/8" wall pipe. I wanted to protect my car as much as possibly. About half way thorough the season I set the car up into the turn with the rear end hanging out like it should and some rookie tried to come under me. He didn't hit the car but he hit the cow catcher bumper on my car and spun me out. No chance to get back into the race so I pulled off the track and headed for the pits. About that time the wrecker pulled the other guys car up beside me. His front end was completely wiped out and his motors mounts broke and dropped the engine. His frame was bent so bad he had to junk the car. When I got to inspect my car I found that behind my front engine support and cross member, both sides of the frame was bent about 10% out of alignment. I fixed it but had to pull the motor, cut the cross member and pull each frame rail back into alignment and replace the cross member. I then removed that bumper and built a new one out of 1" ID pipe on a 3" - 1/4" C channel bumper material so that it would bend before anything else did. Never had a bent frame again. Hope my story didn't bore you. My point was that when you reinforce something you better go all the way because it leaves another place vulnerable.

Reactions: Billiebob

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I don't know why but I don't think I ever watched that series. I was wondering while watching that video why, when they wrecked it so many times, it still looked good. I bet the series sold a lot of Chevy trucks to guys who thought they could really do those things.
yeah, me neither. The storyline was worse than Duke of Hazzard. There was zero reality to how the truck got airborne.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Absolutely I'd gusset the shit out of it with 3/4 plates both sides maybe front and back too. Would beat having to completely back half my truck with tube
But if the shocks keep bottoming out violently you'll just break something else.

I'm trusting what I find on the internet, not sure I believe the theory but the fact the bend is always at the shock mount and there is no other damage makes me think it is shock related.

Last edited:

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Good for me i have normal shocks. It dont look like have any fatigue and ive had the truck high centered on rocks a few times where it hit hard in the middle right near the rear of the cab. Ive just dented and knocked paint off my nfab steps.20190624_202525.jpg
There was talk of the insurance and gm not covering him since hes got larger tires. My tires are 3 inch larger than stock my lift is 3 higher than stock my warranty went out a while back and ive been running it hard. i really think the guy wasnt telling the whole or truthfull story about how he was treating his truck i feel like ive done plenty of stuff with mine that would have caused this to happen by now if it were a frame issue.

Last edited:

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Arlington, WA, USA
First Name
Brie
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
If anyone feels that Overland Bound is exclusionary, cliquish, or make/model specific, they need to reorient themselves to Overland Bound. Like @4wheelspulling said, it states clearly that "it doesn't matter what you drive". That is at the core of Overland Bound. Take a look at the Rally Point System and let me know when you find the field for "Vehicle Types Permitted"... here's a hint, it doesn't exist.

I just spent 4 days camping across from 35 Overland Bound members at the Northwest Overland Rally and there were rigs from at least 5 different manufactures next to each other. There were no fights, no arguments about what type of vehicle is right for overlanding, and no cliques what so ever. Don't worry about what your travel mates drive and focus on finding an awesome destination to share with them.

If anyone feels that they need to be exclusionary, cliquish, or make/model specific, I recommend evolving or finding a different forum. That mindset is contrary to the founding principles of Overland Bound, and we aren't changing.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
If anyone feels that Overland Bound is exclusionary, cliquish, or make/model specific, they need to reorient themselves to Overland Bound. Like @4wheelspulling said, it states clearly that "it doesn't matter what you drive". That is at the core of Overland Bound. Take a look at the Rally Point System and let me know when you find the field for "Vehicle Types Permitted"... here's a hint, it doesn't exist.

I just spent 4 days camping across from 35 Overland Bound members at the Northwest Overland Rally and there were rigs from at least 5 different manufactures next to each other. There were no fights, no arguments about what type of vehicle is right for overlanding, and no cliques what so ever. Don't worry about what your travel mates drive and focus on finding an awesome destination to share with them.

If anyone feels that they need to be exclusionary, cliquish, or make/model specific, I recommend evolving or finding a different forum. That mindset is contrary to the founding principles of Overland Bound, and we aren't changing.
I think this thread is more about informing member's of possible problems found in certain brands occasionally. We all need info if it's out there. I like conversations like this thread where you can express an opinion on equipment and the pros and cons of various vehicles. It has made me more aware of many issues we OB people will encounter along the way. I'm not disagreeing with anything you so helpfully pointed out in your post. You are absolutely right !!

Reactions: 4wheelspulling