Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Its just a general observation (by me) that there seems to be a clique mindset amongst alot of offroaders. Why do jeeps only want to offroad with other jeeps, toyota with toyota etc? I drive a chevrolet but i dont care to only run with chevrolets id like diversity on the trails. Its really boring seeing pics of 10 rigs that are nearly identical aside from the color in a convoy on the trail. Lets mix it up and stop being rig snobs. I guess i cant find anyone that will run trails with me because i dont know of any other chevrolet colorados in my area that are willing to flex their truck. Hell Id roll with a group of adventure bikes if they would let me into their tight knit clique.
Even here where there are all kinds of rigs from subarus to unimogs it seems folks want to stick with their type of vehicle. To me it seems like vehicular racism.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I haven't witness/observed this yet cause I haven't been out. But since this is not a Jeep, Chevy, or specific vehicle forum, then I would expect that get togethers/overlanding/four-wheeling would include a variety of different rigs. No? If it is the case then I would be even more alienated because of my full size truck lol. Let's not invite RoarinRow cause he won't be able to maneuver around like 'us'. I guess in this case, I'd be a kill joy so I would carefully pick what adventures/routes I take. But I hope you're wrong cause that would be sad.

Reactions: John Smith

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Id ride with ya, ive seen plenty of post ( where are all the jeeps, landrovers, 4runners etc) so it happens often here. Look at posted pics of group trips and its normally same brand and usually same type of rig. Were not invited or welcome because we didnt buy the same thing as them.

mk-Zero

Rank 0

Contributor II

Orange County, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
C
I usually wheel with a bunch of other FJ guys for a few reasons
1) I joined an FJ forum and we do Adopt-a-Trail events together (So Cal FJ Cruisers Adopt-a-Trail Team https://socalfjcruisersaat.com/ )
2) FJ folks know FJ's, so we can share advice, compare mods, stuff we learned, etc
3) Spare parts. If I blow an axle and don't have a spare, someone in our group is likely to
4) Repairs. If one of us breaks something, there's a bunch of guys around who know how to fix it
5) It's one more thing that we have in common beyond our love of wheeling, camping, the outdoors, etc

All that being said, I've wheeled with people that don't have FJ's, or Toyotas even, and have no problem with it. But the advantages I listed above are pretty nice, especially on tough trails where things can get broken.

Last edited:

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Id ride with ya, ive seen plenty of post ( where are all the jeeps, landrovers, 4runners etc) so it happens often here. Look at posted pics of group trips and its normally same brand and usually same type of rig. Were not invited or welcome because we didnt buy the same thing as them.
Same here. You could be right or maybe the majority just has those other type of rigs and we're the odd balls lol. I know my 2500 is probably not the 'flexing' type anyhow. :)

Reactions: denw

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I usually wheel with a bunch of other FJ guys for a few reasons
1) I joined an FJ forum and do we Adopt-a-Trail events together
2) FJ folks know FJ's, so we can share advice, compare mods, stuff we learned, etc
3) Spare parts. If I blow an axle and don't have a spare, someone in our group is likely to
4) Repairs. If one of us breaks something, there's a bunch of guys around who know how to fix it

All that being said, I've wheeled with people that don't have FJ's, or Toyotas even, and have no problem with it. But the advantages I listed above are pretty nice, especially on tough trails where things can get broken.
I can accept the part intecangeability but most ifs 4x4 rigs are the same design so any mods would be nearly the same aside from the engines and even then some are the same. My colorado shares the same diesel engine design as the jeep 2.8 diesels but jeep people wont accept that. For rigs breaking axles i learned a long time ago to double up batteries to make a trail stick welder just to get home. Many moons ago when i drove a nissan pathfinder i experienced the same hatred for other types of vehicle.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Let me put it this way when i see jeeps and other types of offroad vehicles pass each other on the road they wave or honk at one another, when they pass me and see a colorado lifted with a snorkle i just get a look from them like ive got aids or something.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Let me put it this way when i see jeeps and other types of offroad vehicles pass each other on the road they wave or honk at one another, when they pass me and see a colorado lifted with a snorkle i just get a look from them like ive got aids or something.
I have a 1st Gen Colorado, so my "kind" is even fewer and farther in between. Especially when it comes to off-roading. I personally don't care what you drive, like, or don't like, as long as you aren't an A-Hole when we are out wheeling. One of my friends has a Tacoma and another has an F-150. We always just talk about trucks...of any kind.

Austin, not so much, but around where I live, we wave at each other as we pass just because we are friendly.

Reactions: reaver and JCraig

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Yeah I guess there is little camaraderie with other non-chevy vehicles. I know I am guilty of poking fun at F@rds just because I belong to Chevy Silverado forums, but in reality I appreciate all cars and trucks.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I have a 1st Gen Colorado, so my "kind" is even fewer and farther in between. Especially when it comes to off-roading. I personally don't care what you drive, like, or don't like, as long as you aren't an A-Hole when we are out wheeling. One of my friends has a Tacoma and another has an F-150. We always just talk about trucks...of any kind.

Austin, not so much, but around where I live, we wave at each other as we pass just because we are friendly.
Yeah out in the sticks everyone waves goin by but in the city or on highway its very different.

Reactions: roots66

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS

I work with a lot of Texans because our data center is there and 'they' are some of the nicest people. Always responding with 'sir', 'ma'am', etc. They are good people. It'd be nice to get a head nod once in a while, but maybe they can't see me cause my windows are tinted lol.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I work with a lot of Texans because our data center is there and 'they' are some of the nicest people. Always responding with 'sir', 'ma'am', etc. They are good people. It'd be nice to get a head nod once in a while, but maybe they can't see me cause my windows are tinted lol.
yep when i go to another state especially in the midwest it blows minds when i open doors for my wife then continue to hold the door for those behind us.

Reactions: RoarinRow

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Yeah out in the sticks everyone waves goin by but in the city or on highway its very different.
Absolutely correct. What we should start doing is having an "Overland Wave" for any time one rig passes another rig, regardless of make.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
yep when i go to another state especially in the midwest it blows minds when i open doors for my wife then continue to hold the door for those behind us.
In the more "progressive" areas of the country, I've actually been scolded for opening a door for a woman, because she "is perfectly capable of doing it herself".

MPLUTO

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Sammamish, WA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FDA
I'm very much in the minority (driving a Ford F-150) so I understand a bit of what you are saying. I think the points made are valid though. In some cases, it's more just the fact that those with similar vehicles learn from each other (e.g. what after market products work well, custom DIY modifications, etc.) I am in F150 groups, although they are not offroading/overlanding related. I will say I feel like an outsider when Toyota or Jeep owners are super 'cliquey' - but I also understand that my rig is not typically a first choice for this type of activity. I've never felt excluded really, just not much to talk about when discussing vehicle specific things.

On trail rides nearby, I frequently get the surprise of an F-150. Some doubts about the rig's abilities or mine as the driver. Concern about the size of the truck (although, for friggin sake, there are MUCH larger rigs that I've seen out on trails nearby - it's all about knowing where you will fit and not). But in the end, most days end with comments of "good job sticking with us" or "I'm impressed, didn't know the F-150's were so capable."

Like anywhere in life, there's a natural thing that we as human beings, usually sub-consciously are drawn to - the comfort of those that 'look like you' - its all about how you react when something / someone doesn't look the same.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I'm very much in the minority (driving a Ford F-150) so I understand a bit of what you are saying. I think the points made are valid though. In some cases, it's more just the fact that those with similar vehicles learn from each other (e.g. what after market products work well, custom DIY modifications, etc.) I am in F150 groups, although they are not offroading/overlanding related. I will say I feel like an outsider when Toyota or Jeep owners are super 'cliquey' - but I also understand that my rig is not typically a first choice for this type of activity. I've never felt excluded really, just not much to talk about when discussing vehicle specific things.

On trail rides nearby, I frequently get the surprise of an F-150. Some doubts about the rig's abilities or mine as the driver. Concern about the size of the truck (although, for friggin sake, there are MUCH larger rigs that I've seen out on trails nearby - it's all about knowing where you will fit and not). But in the end, most days end with comments of "good job sticking with us" or "I'm impressed, didn't know the F-150's were so capable."

Like anywhere in life, there's a natural thing that we as human beings, usually sub-consciously are drawn to - the comfort of those that 'look like you' - its all about how you react when something / someone doesn't look the same.
It shouldn't matter everyone sould be supporting the sport of offroading or whatever your into not brand loyalty, it happens with people and clothing too like if you dont have the poular nike sneakers everyone else is into your a poor nobody, i prefer merrill so im not welcome in that area either. Mechanically our rigs are all very similar even if there are slight differences in some things there are alway a common ground in others. All gasoline engines work essentially the same as do diesels. With independent front suspensions it is the same just normal travel or long travel arms and slight difference in shock/spring setups, most ifs vehicles have solid rear axle. I am running a fever today so maybe im not making near as much sense as i think i am

Razrrila99

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Comer
Member #

@Boostpowered - you are correct, it does seem to be that way. Heck, even in the Jeep community if you dont enjoy the slow go rock crawling highly technical stuff then you are all but shunned. Im into the scenic stuff. I get very little joy following 6 rigs crawl 3 miles in 6 hours. Ive done it, because well, "Dirt Everyday", haha. So, its not just make v make, its sometimes model v model (i.e. jeep TJ vs Jeep JK vs Jeep JL, etc). Get out, enjoy your time, "you do you" kind of thing.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

It's mostly about compatibility like has been said.
You won't find yourself too welcome among adventure bikes because you won't be able to go where they go. The same (or similar) can be said about various makes and models.

It sounds like you are being a bit too defensive... be happy with what you are driving, or switch it up if you aren't.

Racism? Really?

Wow.

Reactions: Billiebob and RDC