Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I think this thread is more about informing member's of possible problems found in certain brands occasionally. We all need info if it's out there. I like conversations like this thread where you can express an opinion on equipment and the pros and cons of various vehicles. It has made me more aware of many issues we OB people will encounter along the way. I'm not disagreeing with anything you so helpfully pointed out in your post. You are absolutely right !!
I actually started it to address the elitist attitude some folks have, but it has gotten away from that. Im over it hang out with whomever you want i think anything with 4x4 is cool dont care what make or model id ride with you. It is the internet after all so i assume half of the folks are armchair offroaders.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
If anyone feels that Overland Bound is exclusionary, cliquish, or make/model specific, they need to reorient themselves to Overland Bound. Like @4wheelspulling said, it states clearly that "it doesn't matter what you drive". That is at the core of Overland Bound. Take a look at the Rally Point System and let me know when you find the field for "Vehicle Types Permitted"... here's a hint, it doesn't exist.

I just spent 4 days camping across from 35 Overland Bound members at the Northwest Overland Rally and there were rigs from at least 5 different manufactures next to each other. There were no fights, no arguments about what type of vehicle is right for overlanding, and no cliques what so ever. Don't worry about what your travel mates drive and focus on finding an awesome destination to share with them.

If anyone feels that they need to be exclusionary, cliquish, or make/model specific, I recommend evolving or finding a different forum. That mindset is contrary to the founding principles of Overland Bound, and we aren't changing.
I sure didn't get that vibe from anyone on here. The OP talked about cliques among "offroaders" in general, outside of OB from what I got out of it. I find the members on here to be EXTREMELY inclusive. Of course there will be some joking and many times members even make fun of themselves, so that's a pretty healthy attitude on here. I've been on other forums where the people are downright brutal in their forums....OB is very chill and very inclusive. To have this many members and everyone get along so well really says a lot about the people joining and the leadership of OB. I really think this site attracts a better crowd. Oooops...I'm sounding elitist now! ;)

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Good for me i have normal shocks. It dont look like have any fatigue and ive had the truck high centered on rocks a few times where it hit hard in the middle right near the rear of the cab. Ive just dented and knocked paint off my nfab steps.View attachment 105178
There was talk of the insurance and gm not covering him since hes got larger tires. My tires are 3 inch larger than stock my lift is 3 higher than stock my warranty went out a while back and ive been running it hard. i really think the guy wasnt telling the whole or truthfull story about how he was treating his truck i feel like ive done plenty of stuff with mine that would have caused this to happen by now if it were a frame issue.
Hmmmmm , dosent even look like the same frame. Is your truck the same year model. I dont know about Chevy but I know that Ford gets their parts from various manufactures. Some made in Mexico, some in Canada and some in the USA. It's possible that two identical looking trucks could have different frames, especially during a year model change.
I'll go with the man who has the most experience with a specific brand on this issue. Wasn't the picture of the bent truck a Toyota ??? I don't know the other brands that well, I do know the weaknesses of the brands I buy and accept them. I sure wouldn't jump any of mine except by accident that I once did with my Bronco. I didn't break anything but I was lucky even for that tough little fart.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I sure didn't get that vibe from anyone on here. The OP talked about cliques among "offroaders" in general, outside of OB from what I got out of it. I find the members on here to be EXTREMELY inclusive. Of course there will be some joking and many times members even make fun of themselves, so that's a pretty healthy attitude on here. I've been on other forums where the people are downright brutal in their forums....OB is very chill and very inclusive. To have this many members and everyone get along so well really says a lot about the people joining and the leadership of OB. I really think this site attracts a better crowd. Oooops...I'm sounding elitist now! ;)
me too !! Double Ditto..

Reactions: Billiebob

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

If anyone feels that they need to be exclusionary, cliquish, or make/model specific, I recommend evolving or finding a different forum. That mindset is contrary to the founding principles of Overland Bound, and we aren't changing.
Excellent.

I overland alone mostly but when near a group I get far more pleasure looking at a diversity of rigs than being in a crowd of beige pickups on steroids. Diversity is what makes an enjoyable and challenging adventure. Same with people. Always enjoyable learning about new cultures. Fascinating listening to foreign languages. Inspiring to meet people "different" from me. The biggest strength of North America is diversity. Our biggest weakness, failure to embrace that diversity.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Hmmmmm , dosent even look like the same frame. Is your truck the same year model. I dont know about Chevy but I know that Ford gets their parts from various manufactures. Some made in Mexico, some in Canada and some in the USA. It's possible that two identical looking trucks could have different frames, especially during a year model change.
I'll go with the man who has the most experience with a specific brand on this issue. Wasn't the picture of the bent truck a Toyota ??? I don't know the other brands that well, I do know the weaknesses of the brands I buy and accept them. I sure wouldn't jump any of mine except by accident that I once did with my Bronco. I didn't break anything but I was lucky even for that tough little fart.
Mine is a 2017 colorado z71 duramax the gray truck with trailer that bent not sure of the year but its a colorado zr2 and as far as i know its the same frame just different shocks. All the 2nd gen colorados should have the same frame. The little red truck bent in half is a toyota its from a rust issue they have on the frame.

Last edited:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

But, from Overland BC 2017. Here is the VW circle of Vanagons....
definitely not promoting an open interaction with others.

I much preferred where I was set up surrounded by Overlanders of all ages and descriptions.

DSC_0091.jpeg

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I much preferred where I was set up surrounded by Overlanders of all ages and descriptions.

View attachment 105205
They made that dodge go sit in the corner, i see a geo tracker and a jeep wrangler hiding like waldo in the mix

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Excellent.

I overland alone mostly but when near a group I get far more pleasure looking at a diversity of rigs than being in a crowd of beige pickups on steroids. Diversity is what makes an enjoyable and challenging adventure. Same with people. Always enjoyable learning about new cultures. Fascinating listening to foreign languages. Inspiring to meet people "different" from me. The biggest strength of North America is diversity. Our biggest weakness, failure to embrace that diversity.
I certainly agree with both of you. When you have oil in your veins you don't care what motor it goes into. OB is not just rig's, it's a life style of multiple happy happenings. Hopefully some day all our paths will cross.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

View attachment 105205
"Circle of Vanagons" I like that and it does remind me of a wagon train waiting to be attacked by Toyotas !

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I have a jeep and wheel with anyone, but I definitely see what you are saying. I'm not really sure why.
I think I know why, it's because you are one of us, and have the same values, hopes, dreams and goals. It's called Overland Bound. You seek adventure and nature and how you get there does not matter as long as you get there.
It looks to me like your Arkansas group are very much like the OB people here. I wish I had a state organization or
even local group with similar goals but I don't. That is why I joined OB, to be able to interact with like minded people. I love the diversity of this group. I feel like I belong here. Thanks for the peek into the Arkansas wheelers !

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

BlueLineOverland

Local Expert, Arkansas USA

Experimenter II

Ozark Arkansas
First Name
Mason
Last Name
Berry
Member #

I think I know why, it's because you are one of us, and have the same values, hopes, dreams and goals. It's called Overland Bound. You seek adventure and nature and how you get there does not matter as long as you get there.
It looks to me like your Arkansas group are very much like the OB people here. I wish I had a state organization or
even local group with similar goals but I don't. That is why I joined OB, to be able to interact with like minded people. I love the diversity of this group. I feel like I belong here. Thanks for the peek into the Arkansas wheelers !
Yea, we don't really care what you drive hahaha. Just not into the drama. Feel free to like our page. I'm the OB rep for Arkansas, as well as the founder of Blue Line Overland, so if you're ever find yourself in Arkansas and need something don't hesitate to reach out! Blue Line Overland is all over the country too, so you might find some people to hit the trails with.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Yea, we don't really care what you drive hahaha. Just not into the drama. Feel free to like our page. I'm the OB rep for Arkansas, as well as the founder of Blue Line Overland, so if you're ever find yourself in Arkansas and need something don't hesitate to reach out! Blue Line Overland is all over the country too, so you might find some people to hit the trails with.
Thanks for the invite. I use to hang out some over in Murphysburg I think it was called. Really nice people there as I remember. I think that was in 1970 or so. I'm an old circle track racer and love the tracks around small town Arkansas and Texas. I had a modified stock car with my special built Six cylinder Ford motor. I love to go around the country winning races with it and shocking to big block v8 guys with it. So I've always kinda been the odd one out and loving it.

Reactions: BlueLineOverland

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I have a 1st Gen Colorado, so my "kind" is even fewer and farther in between. Especially when it comes to off-roading. I personally don't care what you drive, like, or don't like, as long as you aren't an A-Hole when we are out wheeling. One of my friends has a Tacoma and another has an F-150. We always just talk about trucks...of any kind.

Austin, not so much, but around where I live, we wave at each other as we pass just because we are friendly.
You're not the only 1st Gen 355 on here man. ;)

I'm in agreement though, I don't really care what someone drives, as long as they're not a d-bag about things. The crowd I typically wheel with drives a pretty diverse array of vehicles. Me with my 1st gen Colly, an old Jeep Cherokee (think 70's model), an early 2000's ZJ, a late 70's CJ that could pull a semi out of mud while idling, a bone stock tj, an old F150 or 250 (not sure), a lifted late 90's 4Runner, and my buddy with a lifted LX460 on 35's.

The point I'm trying to make is we try to be inclusive with our group. Everybody is welcome to tag along. And, if you get stuck (like I did on our last trip), somebody can and will pull you out.

Note to self......torsion bar lift parts.....

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I wish I had a state organization or even local group with similar goals but I don't.
That is why I joined OB
YES, this is why I agree so heartily with Jedi.
If you want brand loyalty, find the forum for your brand.
Overland is about soo much more.

Must admit tho, I love to throw sarcasm into the Ford/Chev/Dodge debates.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
YES, this is why I agree so heartily with Jedi.
If you want brand loyalty, find the forum for your brand.
Overland is about soo much more.

Must admit tho, I love to throw sarcasm into the Ford/Chev/Dodge debates.
That's what make life interesting. An old friend of mine (now deceased) was the most sarcastic man I ever knew. I didn't take him serious at anything he said because it was his form of humor and he kept me in stitches. He was dead right with most of his sarcasm but not a lot of people could understand him and didn't like him, I didn't just like the man I loved him for who he was. He had a very strong constitution and I miss him very much. He was always laughing behind his stern expressions and always said things just to get a reaction from you. You remind me of him with some of your matter of fact posts. Keep it up ! Lanlubber