Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Overlanding with similar vehicles makes sense on long term and remote overlanding trips where spare parts are difficult to source as the ability to share parts and experience is a great confidence builder.
I drive a Land Rover Defender and whilst I'm happy to travel with anyone in anything we do tend to search out other Land Rover Overlanders. I caryy a large selection of of spares but you cannot carry everything. A planned trip sharing the spasres load makes life much simpler.
On our 8 month 24K Miles trip to Mongolia last year I shared parts with other Land Rover Overlanders including in Mongolia wheel bearings to help out an Austrian couple, in Kazakhstan a UJ to a Luxembourg couple in their Defender and in Turkey Graeme Bell of A2A helped me out with some filters whilst we helped him fix an oil leak on his Defender.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Overlanding with similar vehicles makes sense on long term and remote overlanding trips where spare parts are difficult to source as the ability to share parts and experience is a great confidence builder.
I drive a Land Rover Defender and whilst I'm happy to travel with anyone in anything we do tend to search out other Land Rover Overlanders. I caryy a large selection of of spares but you cannot carry everything. A planned trip sharing the spasres load makes life much simpler.
On our 8 month 24K Miles trip to Mongolia last year I shared parts with other Land Rover Overlanders including in Mongolia wheel bearings to help out an Austrian couple, in Kazakhstan a UJ to a Luxembourg couple in their Defender and in Turkey Graeme Bell of A2A helped me out with some filters whilst we helped him fix an oil leak on his Defender.
Im over it. There arent enough diesel chevy colorados around here to fill a 5 gallon bucket so wheeling with like vehicle and part interchangeability is out, sure there are online clubs and forums but its not worth it to me to deal with all the hate on the web to find one person with a like vehicle that i can get along with then drive a couple hundred miles just to hang out. Spares for my truck are a pain in the ass to get to begin with since chevrolet parts dept is the only place i can get critical parts and they are super expensive still. Just finding 2 jugs of dexos2 oil to do a oil change is a enormous task where i am.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Im over it. There arent enough diesel chevy colorados around here to fill a 5 gallon bucket so wheeling with like vehicle and part interchangeability is out, sure there are online clubs and forums but its not worth it to me to deal with all the hate on the web to find one person with a like vehicle that i can get along with then drive a couple hundred miles just to hang out. Spares for my truck are a pain in the ass to get to begin with since chevrolet parts dept is the only place i can get critical parts and they are super expensive still. Just finding 2 jugs of dexos2 oil to do a oil change is a enormous task where i am.
I know you're a decent drive outside of DFW, but there is an effort to not only resume Meets, but to work in trail days, and possibly more. I know it may not be much in the short term, but maybe we can get a group to meet out at Barnwell Mountain (OHV and Camping in Gilmer, TX) and you would definitely be welcomed. I have also heard the guys up in OK may be putting together a run that is circumnavigating their state.

The biggest challenge from a member perspective is the more remote areas with less member concentration, but we're all in the SW Region! I put your name on a list I have started for those that may be interested in a Meet soon. While I know you may not be able to make the drive out for a general Meet, depending on location and time, but at least I can keep you in the loop and let you know of any OHV days or anything we plan. I would also check out the Rally Points from time to time, to see what other events may be doable for you.

There's a reason we like to embrace the 'It doesn't matter what you drive' philosophy, that's one of the primary reasons this group was started. Hang in there, I'm sure we can figure something out..

Heck, I've been wanting to go out to Gilmer for a while (never been), so I may go ahead and try to organize something in the mean-time, though with current schedules and plans, it will probably be no sooner than mid to late August. I have a few frriends from teh Mustang world that are now getting into 4x4s and camping, and have been wanting to get them involved in OB also, so it may be a good opportunity for both!

Either way, I will be sure to give you a heads-up, in case you are available and interested.

Razrrila99

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Comer
Member #

Maybe it bothers me because i spend all day working by myself with the only thing to talk to is livestock and plants, my wife is gone from 6am to 8pm and asleep by 9:30 so i dont get much social interaction and id like to, but i dont go to bars or wherever the hell people meet other people. I guess its easy to be like that when your surrounded by people all the time but i dont have the luxury of friendship. On the weekends i like to have fun. are you faulting me for wanting friends or wanting to share the trails i go on?
I know I shouldnt laugh at this, but it brings me full circle. Ill be fully open and honest: Im happy to spend all day talking to cattle and my dog over conversing with the average member of society. At least I know when I get the "WTF" look I can just throw some range cubes or some other treat out and they are happy hahahahahahahaha. I make lite of this post of yours, because #1 - I can fully relate; #2 - your phrasing, while serious, is awesome; #3 lastly if people would actually read this and get introspective they might actually see how right you actually are.

If I was closer to TX Id volunteer to head out on a weekend. Im all about weekend trips like that. Dont give up and more over dont get discouraged. There are more people in your same situation than they let on. I know Im one myself. I dont get along with many so that limits my available circle of "groupies" if you will.

As the wise Van Wilder once said, dont take life too seriously, you never make it out alive. I feel your situation and words, if we get enough working through this we might be able to figure it out.

LD5050

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Longview, Texas, USA
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

Heck, I've been wanting to go out to Gilmer for a while (never been), so I may go ahead and try to organize something in the mean-time, though with current schedules and plans, it will probably be no sooner than mid to late August.
I should have my Titan up and running by then and would love to take it to Barnwell Mountain, if that’s where you’re talking about!
And to the OP, I hear what you’re saying but as others have stated, don’t sweat it. We can meet up for a ride (I’m less than 100 miles away) and you can make fun of my full size 1st gen Titan since it’s a lot less “Overlander” than your Colorado! :grinning::grinning::grinning:

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I should have my Titan up and running by then and would love to take it to Barnwell Mountain, if that’s where you’re talking about!
And to the OP, I hear what you’re saying but as others have stated, don’t sweat it. We can meet up for a ride (I’m less than 100 miles away) and you can make fun of my full size 1st gen Titan since it’s a lot less “Overlander” than your Colorado! :grinning::grinning::grinning:
Yep, that's the one!

I'll let you both know when I start looking at dates so we can get something planned that will work for you! Of course, I will also set up a Rally Point with time for others to make plans as well!

Reactions: LD5050

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Barnwell mnt is only about an hr southeast of me, ive been a few times as well as other offroad parks and they seem more orientated for 4 wheelers, dirt bikes and side by sides. Every time i go it makes me think of being on the lake surrounded by jetskis while trying to fish. I could meet there about any weekend with advance notice, but the wife and i will be going down to crystal beach sometime before september i need to use my red fish tag on my fishing license and id like to catch a shark. Most of the time we do day trips into the mountains in oklahoma and arkansas or go kayak fishing. Might go on a short trip this weekend to the sulpher river north of ladonia and do some fossil hunting depending on weather.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Barnwell mnt is only about an hr southeast of me, ive been a few times as well as other offroad parks and they seem more orientated for 4 wheelers, dirt bikes and side by sides. Every time i go it makes me think of being on the lake surrounded by jetskis while trying to fish. I could meet there about any weekend with advance notice, but the wife and i will be going down to crystal beach sometime before september i need to use my red fish tag on my fishing license and id like to catch a shark. Most of the time we do day trips into the mountains in oklahoma and arkansas or go kayak fishing. Might go on a short trip this weekend to the sulpher river north of ladonia and do some fossil hunting depending on weather.
If you have some good places to go that aren't too far into OK or AR, those may work well for group runs.. Maybe you could scout out a trail and lead the group up there. Is it public land with camping available? If so that would be even better, could be an overnight trip once the weather cools. I bet we could get at least a few interested parties.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Lets mix it up and stop being rig snobs.
Thats not it at all. We wheel together because we all have similar capabilities. And collectively our minds are all thinking about the same challenges and... if anyone breaks down, we all are familiar with the problem. Spare parts are interchangeable. And 8 Jeep Wranglers are not always waiting for the Chevy or Ford to catch up.

It is just practical to wheel with guys driving the same/similar rigs.

Don't think of it as vehicular racism, think of it as gender specific washrooms.

Reactions: grubworm

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Hey
Thats not it at all. We wheel together because we all have similar capabilities. And collectively our minds are all thinking about the same challenges and... if anyone breaks down, we all are familiar with the problem. Spare parts are interchangeable. And 8 Jeep Wranglers are not always waiting for the Chevy or Ford to catch up.

It is just practical to wheel with guys driving the same/similar rigs.

Don't think of it as vehicular racism, think of it as gender specific washrooms.
Hey if your worried about breakin parts my chevy would be happy to drag you back off the trail to the local dodge dealership.

liveoak

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Fallbrook, CA, USA
First Name
live
Last Name
oak
I can accept the part intecangeability but most ifs 4x4 rigs are the same design so any mods would be nearly the same aside from the engines and even then some are the same. My colorado shares the same diesel engine design as the jeep 2.8 diesels but jeep people wont accept that. For rigs breaking axles i learned a long time ago to double up batteries to make a trail stick welder just to get home. Many moons ago when i drove a nissan pathfinder i experienced the same hatred for other types of vehicle.
which jeep 2.8 diesel are you referring to? there was a 2.8 in the liberty and it shares some history with the duramax 2.8 but that's a stretch.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I am very impressed with you and your rig. To look at it's size you wouldn't think it is so roomy and be able to carry what you have in there. Very neat and clean as well. Cheerio me Lad.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Hey
Hey if your worried about breakin parts my chevy would be happy to drag you back off the trail to the local dodge dealership.
You just answered the question.
Now you know why you rarely see a Chevy off road but see Jeeps everywhere.
D3DC711E-F6B1-44D3-A158-BF898D139E09.jpg

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

which jeep 2.8 diesel are you referring to? there was a 2.8 in the liberty and it shares some history with the duramax 2.8 but that's a stretch.
Its directly based on it read up on the history of the chevy 2.8

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

You just answered the question.
Now you know why you rarely see a Chevy off road but see Jeeps everywhere.
View attachment 104982
Because some dipshit in a zr2 jumped his truck thinking he was gonna baja in a stock truck? I see my chevy offroad every weekend and i havent broken anything in the 3 years ive owned it. 20190622_124509.jpg
Your attitude explains alot.