Rank IV

Influencer III

Burbank, Cook County, Illinois, United States
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Espana
Member #

Awesome article, I currently drive a Hummer H3 and was thinking of purchasing another vehicle so I can give the hummer a break from time to time, I was looking into the 4 runner and this has made my decision for me thank you.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Not only is my rig also my daily driver, it's currently my only vehicle. So, I use it for shopping, kid hauling, and farm duties as well.
that's the versatility of a pick up. we have multiple vehicles including a jeep sahara, and its the tundra that does all the work. its set up for our overland trips and i already carry a lot of tools in the deck system in back and it rains here all the time, so the camper shell is great for hauling stuff that wont fit in the jeep (which is pretty much everything...)
if i was out and about a few hours from home and some crazy disaster hit and i'm stranded away from home in my tundra...i have enough stuff in back at any given time to survive pretty well for a while. even have solar and a secondary battery so basically unlimited 12v for lights, etc
i love having a daily driver that is also set up to handle a lot of different situations...kind of the 'swiss army knife' of vehicles

P1000451.JPG

Last edited:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

DD yes.
Jeep YJ DD.jpeg

The first home bilt "cargo" trailer, 25 years ago
Jeep YJ Cargo.jpg

Taday towing my tool trailer for work.
Jeep TJR Toolbox.jpeg

Plus tows my open deck for work hauling demolition waste.
Jeep TJR PC Brick.jpeg

Open deck for domestic duties.
Jeep TJR Firewood.jpg

And it tows the OSB BOX, starting point
Jeep OSB BOX Start.jpeg

Hauling $10K of Chimney Pipe etc...
Jeep OSB BOX Cargo.jpg

Which evolved into a slide in camper, THE OSB BOX...... Behind my 4th Wrangler.
Jeep TJR Today.jpeg

A Wrangler has been my only vehicle for 20 years.
A Jeep M38, just like the one below, was my first "car" in Grade 12.

And I come by my love of Wranglers honestly.
My Uncle drove a Government Issued Jeep in Europe when ALL Jeeps were Government Issued...... 1944.
Uncle Bill 1944.jpg

Last edited:

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

that's the versatility of a pick up. we have multiple vehicles including a jeep sahara, and its the tundra that does all the work. its set up for our overland trips and i already carry a lot of tools in the deck system in back and it rains here all the time, so the camper shell is great for hauling stuff that wont fit in the jeep (which is pretty much everything...)
if i was out and about a few hours from home and some crazy disaster hit and i'm stranded away from home in my tundra...i have enough stuff in back at any given time to survive pretty well for a while. even have solar and a secondary battery so basically unlimited 12v for lights, etc
i love having a daily driver that is also set up to handle a lot of different situations...kind of the 'swiss army knife' of vehicles

View attachment 204343
Ayuh, that's how I feel about my van. Everyday driver, work horse, shelter and home when on the road, and always raring and ready to go.

TimChap

Rank 0

Contributor I

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Chapman
Service Branch
USAF
I'm new to OB and really appreciate articles like this. Some points may seem obvious, yet easy to overlook or under estimate. Experience based articles based are priceless. Thank you.

So on the flip side of the coin, what factors should someone keep in mind when they take their daily driver/work vehicle off-road? Before I can enjoy wandering the great outdoors on Friday night, I need a high degree of confidence I'm going to be able to use it for work at 7:00 am on Monday morning?

I intend to stay on "softer" trails that still get me to the camp, scenic and fishing spots. I also reasonably know the limitations of my vehicle and current state of build-out, but....? I'm sure there are some nuggets of knowledge and experience out there.

Thanks again.
I'm in the same boat as you are. My first thought was to ensure that tire replacement or repair capabilities are covered. I personally don't want to heavily modify my suspension or tires because my F150 is my daily driver and I also don't want to sacrifice MPGs due to a long commute to work.

Reactions: Shahn and roots66

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
I'm in the same boat as you are. My first thought was to ensure that tire replacement or repair capabilities are covered. I personally don't want to heavily modify my suspension or tires because my F150 is my daily driver and I also don't want to sacrifice MPGs due to a long commute to work.
A stock truck already has a LOT of overlanding capabilities from the factory, especially if you have an off-road version (TRD, Z71, FX4, Pro4X, etc). So, it really depends on how far off the road you are planning to get that makes the difference. Unless you will be rock crawling, serious mudding, or something of the like, you should be fine without needing modifications, as long as you respect your vehicle's (and your) limits. The best "mod" is knowledge.

TimChap

Rank 0

Contributor I

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Chapman
Service Branch
USAF
A stock truck already has a LOT of overlanding capabilities from the factory, especially if you have an off-road version (TRD, Z71, FX4, Pro4X, etc). So, it really depends on how far off the road you are planning to get that makes the difference. Unless you will be rock crawling, serious mudding, or something of the like, you should be fine without needing modifications, as long as you respect your vehicle's (and your) limits. The best "mod" is knowledge.
I could not agree with you more! I've been spending plenty of time researching overlanding and can't wait to get started. I'll be installing a good leveling kit and some skid plates once I return home from this government sponsored vacation. The tires will only be upgraded once the originals are worn out. I'm not interested in rock crawling or anything hardcore, just looking to get off the normal beaten path and camp where the mini-vans and sedans can't go!

slightNine

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Yukon, OK, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hutton
Member #

I've always daily driven my rigs. Like most people, I can't really justify financially a second vehicle.

I feel that it helps keep me reasonable about my mod choices. It has also taught me not to cut corners or buy lower quality parts along the way. I fully have the expectation that my rig is my do-it-all.

(I do have an AAA membership just in case. Lol)