What's your MPG (fuel economy) on the road.

• HTML tutorial

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
1994 Dr T Land Cruiser, 1FZ with 230,000 miles. I get 12 mpg no matter what. Uphill, downhill, headwind, tailwind, loaded, unloaded. I guess I should be happy it doesn't get worse, but I wouldn't hate it if it occasionally got better.

Silverback07

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central Texas
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Braden
Member #

Oh I'm jealous of the Taco guys getting above 15 MPG. I'm currently at about 12-13 MPG on the highway (she's a fat pig for sure). But to be honest this thing has never really got above 17 even when brand new.

Reactions: dziner

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
If I drive like a Texan I am getting 18 mpg cruising down the highway. If I drive like an old man I get 22 mpg on highway. When pulling a 27 ft travel trailer I was getting about 10 mpg. On trail is a question of trail conditions.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I'm a fairly conservative driver on the big road (well, back roads too, but OP asked for 'highway to the trail' figures) and regularly get 20-21 mpg with my 6.6 Duramax diesel. DIC says higher, but my figures, based on stock config, real mileage, and actual fuel consumption, backed up over a few hundred thousand miles worth of receipts and figures, tells me it's a bit less than the DIC says.

She absolutely loves staying steady at 65-70 for long runs, and long as I'm not all over the place in braking and accelerating, or gunning to pass others, I'll go 500-550 mi before I need to fuel up again. Specs say I have a 31 gal tank, but that Low Fuel light comes on long before that, must be around 5-6 gals left. Most I think I've ever squeezed in there is 28gals, and that after running a long ways with the low fuel light on. I usually have extra fuel with me, but haven't run the ol' girl dry yet.

Getting mileage and range like that, loaded or unloaded, along with the vast cargo capacity (317 cu ft, I think), is a large part of why it is my preferred DD, on or off-road. I suspect my mileage is going to drop when I start hauling a trailer regularly, with a RTT and awning. I hear you're supposed to pack all that s**t up before hitting the highway. . .

Reactions: RiverCityDave

Dakeg218

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Charlotte, NC
Member #

2008 LR3 with 122k, 265/70/r18 (32.6). The ecu and spedo have been recalibrate but who knows how accurate that is. Mixed driving to work I get 18 averaged over the week. Best I've gotten over a long highway trip is 23 (Texas to NC). Towing the boat, loaded with gear it's in the 13-15 range.

The real downside is it needs to be top tier premium, no Race Track or Valero. I've used cheap 87 in a pinch a few time but the dash lights up like a Christmas tree.

Reactions: RiverCityDave

DDulie

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Joliet,IL
Member #

2004 Jeep TJ - 27 mpg on BFG KO2's (30X9.5X15) at 70 mph
Try miles/gallons=mpg next fill up and post your results. I think there will be a slight discrepancy. Unless you are sporting a diesel and a strong tail wind. How many miles do you get per tank?

Sent from my SM-T817T using Tapatalk

PNW_Tundra

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Moses Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Birdsell
Member #

Tundra CrewMax 5.7 4x4 4.30 small lift I see approx 13-14 city 17-19 hwy. doesn't seem to care if it's loaded with gear or not. Last trip that was 200 highway miles 40 miles of low range I had an average of 16.2mpg. Thank Toyota for 38gal tanks haha

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

FX50

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Maple Valley
Member #

I'm getting around 20-21 hwy in my f150 however have 31s at the moment but will be putting 35s on soon so likely will be around 18. Have 3.73 gears

AdventureWithDanan

Local Expert, Florida USA
Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
2016 Tundra 4x4
BFG M/T (265 75 r17 if I'm not mistaken)

12 - 13.5 mpg around town
18 - 19 mpg @ 70mph
17.5 mpg @ 75mph
16.5 - 17 mpg @ 80mph
15.9 @ 80+mph

CM_FX4

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Arizona
Member #

2016 F-150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost:

Stock, Mixed driving Road trips = 20-22 MPG

After level and 295/70r18 nitto Ridge Grapplers, mixed road trips = 18-19 MPG

Rig with full expo load out, after 1500 mile trip offoard and on road = 15.5 MPG

(all hand calculated)

94Cruiser

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Suisun City, California
Member #

I usually get about 13 MPG (94 Land Cruiser FZJ80) running Toyo 265/75R16 with everything else stock except for a lift

Took 7 people with all of our stuff on top to the Del Norte area in Northern California and with all of this crap on top, STILL got 11.8 for the trip!delnortecamping.jpg

Today, I upgraded to 33" Muds - curious to see what I get....

Reactions: dziner

Attom

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Middle Tennessee
Member #

My 2000 LX 470 gets 14-15 on a combination of hilly back roads and highways. Just pulled a trailer 1300 miles, got about 8 mpg with the trailer empty doing 78 mph, added 1000 lbs and drove 70 mph and got 12 mpg. Weight of load seems to make little impact on economy, but speed and aerodynamics are huge.
I have no idea what it gets in the city, because I don't spend much time there. Don't know trail mpg because I haven't found a trail long enough to need that info here in the southeast.
My 96 Montero SR used to get 19 "backroad/highway combined." Currently it seems to be getting about 10 mpg; that and the anemic power tell me maybe something might be wrong with it.
Both vehicles are pretty much stock.

aukaiiki

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Bremerton, Kitsap County, Washington, United States
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
White
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Navy
My 2007 FJ Cruiser gets between 14 to 16mpg on the highway. I have 235/80-17 BF Goodrich AT's, stock roof rack w/ Baja Rack drop-in basket, Road Shower v1, rear ARB awning, Yakima Roof bars w/ single bike holder.

Aloha from the PNW,
Aukaiiki sends...

Last summer we did a 3000 mile trip with a Pop-Up Tent trailer (3500# loaded). Speeds varied between winding roads to Interstate highways (60mph to 80mph) and we still got 13 to 14mpg.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: 94Cruiser

Dana

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

I am still crunching numbers on fill up but seeing consistency. 1989 Toyota HJ61 land cruiser. Think my speedometer is accurate. I have been matching the kph to my gps in mph. So my odometer is probably correct. The results are around 30km/gal approx. 19m/gal. I am thinking not bad.

Reactions: 94Cruiser

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Last weekend a friend and I drove to Oregon for the eclipse. I was somewhat surprised to see 20-22mpg on multiple tanks of gas, this was based on a calibrated ScanGauage and confirmed by hand calculations. These tanks were all highway and we were averaging 65-70mph.

- Matt