What's your MPG (fuel economy) on the road.

• HTML tutorial

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

We got 16.7 MPG average on our recent 6000 mile cross-country wanderings. This included quite a bit of interstate, lots of state and county roads, and less than 100 miles of gravel.

I have an average of 17.0 over the 20,300 miles I've owned the 4Runner, according to Fuelly.

20800225_1103026903160547_6853896190397933444_n.jpg

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

2005 Jeep Rubicon LJ, 3.5 Rubicon Express Super Flex Lift, Fox 2.0 shocks front and rear, 33" Duratracs, Nth Degree Tummy Tuck, Garvin G2 front and rear bumpers with tire and gas can carriers, warn winch, wilderness roof rack and basket over spare = Just Empty Every Pocket highway and city [emoji87][emoji618]️[emoji385][emoji388]

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Thatredfj

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Kirkwood, MO, USA
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Willard
Member #

Getting around 15 using the rig as a DD. Small camping trip setup (Storage bins on top, And about 200 lbs of gear inside.) I get a touch over 13.

all highway figures running BFG KO2 tires and everything else stock.

Thatredfj

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Kirkwood, MO, USA
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Willard
Member #

I'm getting about 12-13 also!
NICE! is that in Jade with all the gear on top? I have been looking to try and boost it a bit by upgrading to a roof rack with a decent deflector to try to move that airflow over the top of the bins that sit up 16" off the top. Im sure you know as well as I that in a heavy headwind they drag pretty hard.

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

NICE! is that in Jade with all the gear on top? I have been looking to try and boost it a bit by upgrading to a roof rack with a decent deflector to try to move that airflow over the top of the bins that sit up 16" off the top. Im sure you know as well as I that in a heavy headwind they drag pretty hard.
Yes, I carry 4 bins on top of Jade which are 14" high. I have the Garvin Industries Expedition roof rack that had a deflector but had to remove it due to the length of the bins. Although there's some drag, I typically take the back roads vs the interstates.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

21.3 mpg over the last 2,000 miles from coast of Maine to here in Durant OK, with a couple little detours, though mostly all highway miles. 6.6 diesel, fully loaded long wheelbase cargo van, nothing on the roof. Grabbing the XV-2 tomorrow, then doing several thousand more miles, so will be interesting to see how that affects things mileage-wise.

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

View attachment 28010 I average about 19-20 mpg. This is my daily driver. It's kind of interesting that I get better gas mileage going 70mpg, than I do going 60mph. I do baby my truck. I have hit 24mpg every so often as it sits.
That's with the tent mounted? Pretty impressive. I just added some frontrunner slimline II's to my '16 Tacoma. went from 19.5 to 16-17, and that's with an empty rack.

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

On all these different MPG threads, I always wonder if people are just reporting the MPG that the vehicle computer tells them. I also wonder how many people take into account how larger tires or lower gears affect their speedometers and odometers....
I went with larger, but skinnier tires. Stock was Goodyear Wranglers, which were designed primarily for road. Switched to a skinny BFG KO2, which was 1" larger in diameter, but 1" skinnier. No hit in MPG at all. If anything, it went up a tick. Then I added a Frontrunner rack and dropped 2-3MPG.

dolli310

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Halifax, NS
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Dollimont
Member #

9.5-11l/100km highway and 16-18l/100km city. Stop and go traffic makes my Fiat cranky.

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

That's with the tent mounted? Pretty impressive. I just added some frontrunner slimline II's to my '16 Tacoma. went from 19.5 to 16-17, and that's with an empty rack.
20180526_094455.jpg
Fuel mileage stayed the same after taking off my tent. But my gas mileage dropped to 17-18 mpg with the trailer. I averaged about 62 mph on the freeway.

DK_XV

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Easton, WA
Member #

2017 Colorado Diesel. Just got back from Oregon, about 150 through the Backcountry the rest were highways and some interstate. And it has a range of 500+ on most drives so no need to really worry too much about next fuel stop.

@DK_XV | PNW | '17 Colorado Diesel