What's your MPG (fuel economy) on the road.

• HTML tutorial

TrailWhale

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Lynn Center, IL
Member #

While driving styles can very greatly on the trial, I am curious about what kind of mileage different rigs were getting going down the highway to the trail. Important factors might be helpful to list as well such as gear ratio, tire size, loaded weight, pulling a trailer, do you have the equivalent of a sail on your roof, etc.

I get 11 mpg's unloaded from my '11 Ram 2500 Power Wagon, 4.56 gears 35" tires @70mph. I really wonder how much that will decrease with a few thousand pounds of gear.

A10MileHusker

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Slope, OR
Member #

I'm approximately at 15 MPG unloaded with 4.88 gears, 35" tires.

On my recent trip which was mostly loaded I was at about 13mpg with a lot of mountain driving. I usually keep it right around 70mph.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

16.9 average over the past 11,000 miles, according to Fuelly. This is in a 2016 Toyota 4Runner with +1 sized BFG KO2 E-rated tires, roof basket, awning, and LED light bar. The past couple hundred miles with the roof bare, shows 19 MPG on the dash computer. I'll see what Fuelly says tomorrow.

Last edited:

gandrimp

Rank III

Advocate II

93 Land cruiser stock gearing, 285/75-16, loaded, 60 - 90 crosswinds from hades 11-12 mpg with no slow driving. Just got back from a 450 mile trip that had a lot of idle time and a lot of trail time and it held 40 gallon , 11.25 mpg. Tire size corrected would bump it up maybe 1/2 a mpg.

Reactions: RiverCityDave

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

I don't actually know how to calculate MPG so I just divide the range (450-ish miles) with the size of the fueltank (15.25 US Gallons) to get a number of 29,5.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

35" mud terrains and 6.8 liter V10 equals 10.2 mpg over the last 6 months.:disrelieved:

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

My vehicle of choice is a 2004 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD Wagon with a gross vehicle weight of 3,827lbs. Yup, these things are tanks.

With BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 (about 2 sizes up from stock), 2" Bad Swede lift kit, and a Yakima Loadwarrior roof basket with extension, I net between 19-21MPG combined on average.

Worth noting that my "combined" contains virtually NO city stop-and-go traffic as I live in a rural area. It's representative of what I like to call "Town, Country & Trail" [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrew24

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

GTA Ontario
Member #

my 15 colorado with 32" tires air dam removed 2 inch level and a canned tune is averaging 11.5L/100km to a tank of mixed driving, i think that comes out to 22-23mpg. im not complaining haha

Reactions: VDawg1115

Teh_Viking

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ventura Ca
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Roosendahl
Member #

2000 7.3 diesel with 37's and 3.73, I get about 17.5 on the highway loaded and unloaded, this flying brick does not care. Pretty happy considering its over 8k empty.

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
Recently, Loaded and Unloaded, i have been getting 14MPG. JK Rubicon, 32" stock MTs, 4.10. I've added a roof rack which brought my MPG down from high 14s down to 14.0. Not a lot of highway driving, only when i am on a trip and that means Jeep is loaded.

Last year, i was getting 16mpg so i am hoping the winter mix is what's causing the mpg drop

kennedyma

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Stock 2017 JKUR

Overall: 14.81 MPG
Highway: 16.5 MPG loaded for camping and 2 adults and 2 kids.
Lowest I've seen: 12.45 MPG that was a cold week with lots of remote starting;)

3.73's in the rear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Normal MPG while averaging 70 on the freeway with my 22 year old V8 and a roof rack fluctuates based off wind but is around 12 mpg. The worst I have seen so far is while sustaining a steady 80-85mph in a desert head wind (this was before my roof rack), I was averaging around 8 mpg...

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

2001 LR Discovery 2, 4" lift, 33" tires, loaded with bumpers, guards, steel wheels, winch, roof rack, etc. Diffs have been re-geared to 4.14. I'm hovering around 10 MPG. My odo never reaches 200 miles before refueling, and typically it will swallow 20 gallons.

Reactions: Zargon

Jeff D

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hmmm, I'm getting 17.3. Makes me wonder. You do know if you go to oversized tires you need to change the speedo gear not only for the speedometer but the odometer? That way you get the correct miles traveled. I did put in 2" exhaust and k&n air filter and reset the fuel trim. So like Egans truck, after throwing the 35's on which are what 2 sizes over stock? And didn't change the speedo gear, his odometer is going to show less miles traveled. So if your Gps is showing 5 mph over your speedo the odometer is off like 11% (that's what I have read not sure if it is exact). Which is a lot of miles your not calculating into your fuel calculation. It's just hard for me to believe my jeep is getting better or the same gas mileage as a Toyota like Steves rig is. Something's wrong I can feel it :}.
The next things on my agenda for fuel consumption are locking hubs, Electric fan and a header. In that order.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Hmmm, I'm getting 17.3. Makes me wonder. You do know if you go to oversized tires you need to change the speedo gear not only for the speedometer but the odometer? That way you get the correct miles traveled. I did put in 2" exhaust and k&n air filter and reset the fuel trim. So like Egans truck, after throwing the 35's on which are what 2 sizes over stock? And didn't change the speedo gear, his odometer is going to show less miles traveled. So if your Gps is showing 5 mph over your speedo the odometer is off like 11% (that's what I have read not sure if it is exact). Which is a lot of miles your not calculating into your fuel calculation. It's just hard for me to believe my jeep is getting better or the same gas mileage as a Toyota like Steves rig is. Something's wrong I can feel it :}.
The next things on my agenda for fuel consumption are locking hubs, Electric fan and a header. In that order.
No re-gearing options with the speedo and odo in my truck, so re-gearing the diffs when going up in tire size is the only option. Even then, there is still a bit of a difference between actual and displayed speeds. It's a bum deal because with my 4xFar Adventures business, I don't get to report all of the miles driven. Last year saw over 16,000 miles driven and almost 1/4 of them were for business...

In my case I have the worst case scenario for my commute. Stop and go on the highway, stop and go through most of (hilly) San Francisco, cross the Golden Gate Bridge and then drive through the Marin Headlands (more hills). I'm lucky to get 100 miles on half a tank of gas. BUT, when I'm returning from a trip, and pass through Sacramento, I've gotten over 140 miles on a half tank. It's just so flat out there the truck doesn't need to run so hard, thus saving a fair bit on fuel.

Reactions: Zargon

wgmclain96

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fayetteville, AR/Richmond, TX
Member #

If I'm lucky, 13 mpg on the highway. Get 9 mpg around town and 10-11 mpg mixed. Obese 2005 Jeep TJ Rubicon on 32" tires. Wondering if I need to clean or even replace my injectors. I used to get 17 mpg on a regular basis when I was on a bigger lift and tires

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app