What are Your Favorite Overland Recipes?

• HTML tutorial

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Beef and noodles is always good. Egg noodles cooked and mostly drained, add a pack of ranch dressing a sour cream to the noodle with pepper . Slice beef and grill. Mix the beef and the noodles together and serve.
The second photo is foil potatoes with onions and peppers. grilled steak. tomatoes salad20181020_205010.jpg20181018_192055.jpg

MLGrace

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

LAKESIDE AZ
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Grace
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran
This morning I made scrambled egg, bacon and shredded cheese on pan fried English muffins. [emoji554]️

emonomics

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda, CA, USA
First Name
Emerson
Last Name
L
Member #

So the special lady friend made a pretty game-changing decision in advance of a quick night in the hills (one-nighter) which required just enough for dinner and breakfast (aside from emergency rations which I do carry, but beanie-weenie only in emergency, let's be real).

Anyway, we stopped at Whole Foods and I had to take a call, so off she went with our whole paycheck. What happened next was pure genius. We are big veggie eaters but typically eat mostly chicken and fish for protein. Not wanting to deal with raw meat, she hit the salad bar and loaded up on cut veggies: red onion, peppers, broccoli, mushrooms. Got a can of hatch green chile (diced), and a package of cooked chicken sausages. All we had to slice was the sausages, and voila, a really really easy stir-fry.

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
So the special lady friend made a pretty game-changing decision in advance of a quick night in the hills (one-nighter) which required just enough for dinner and breakfast (aside from emergency rations which I do carry, but beanie-weenie only in emergency, let's be real).

Anyway, we stopped at Whole Foods and I had to take a call, so off she went with our whole paycheck. What happened next was pure genius. We are big veggie eaters but typically eat mostly chicken and fish for protein. Not wanting to deal with raw meat, she hit the salad bar and loaded up on cut veggies: red onion, peppers, broccoli, mushrooms. Got a can of hatch green chile (diced), and a package of cooked chicken sausages. All we had to slice was the sausages, and voila, a really really easy stir-fry.
Sounds like the perfect meal to be cooked on a Skottle.

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
I recently held a couple of Skottle cooking demos at the recent Texas AVID Fall Outdoors Expo. I was asked for my recipes. The below link has bother recipes I made; Spicy Sausage Skottle and Badlands Chili.

Provecho

andrewksu

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Dickson
Member #

I've got two recipes that make life just that much better.

First, a Motor Burrito.

DSC_0272-1204x800.jpg
Concept is to pre-make some burritos and throw them in a safe spot in the engine bay to warm through. Wheel for a few hours and you are ready to eat, no muss, no fuss. This is a great time saver when weather sucks, or you are on the trail super late or early. Favorite variety is carne asada with peppers, but a breakfast version is a no brainer. Check the full recipe here.

bananas foster.jpg
Second, Banana's Foster Flambe (pancake/french toast topper, or dessert). If you flambe with some rum, the banana's become nicely caramelized and the flavor will make everyone happy. Bonus points if you are sporting a fridge and can use this over ice cream. Recipe Here

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
I've got two recipes that make life just that much better.

First, a Motor Burrito.

View attachment 125512
Concept is to pre-make some burritos and throw them in a safe spot in the engine bay to warm through. Wheel for a few hours and you are ready to eat, no muss, no fuss. This is a great time saver when weather sucks, or you are on the trail super late or early. Favorite variety is carne asada with peppers, but a breakfast version is a no brainer. Check the full recipe here.

View attachment 125511
Second, Banana's Foster Flambe (pancake/french toast topper, or dessert). If you flambe with some rum, the banana's become nicely caramelized and the flavor will make everyone happy. Bonus points if you are sporting a fridge and can use this over ice cream. Recipe Here
Dang man. Please let me know if you're ever venturing around on the East coast so I can come join you and mooch off of your banana's foster french toast. :laughing:

smarthead

Rank 0

Contributor I

KS
First Name
Donny
Last Name
Keens
Sharing a recipe I would always cook. Saute ginger, minced garlic and white onions in oil. Then just add ground beef, 3 tsp sugar and add 1/2 cup soy sauce and some pepper flaked. It's the best and it's easy to cook.

Reactions: Road

Wilbah

Rank I

Contributor III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Will
Last Name
M
My annual fishing trip to Maine always has good food. The day we leave we usually bring something frozen that can be heated up when we get there (its pretty much an all day drive to get there) so Shepherds Pie in a throwaway tinfoil tray is a hit (I like to copy the Cheesecake Factory version- "regular" Shepherd's Pie but I add sliced mushrooms, peas and carrots plus a brown gravy. I also add grated parmesan to the top of the mashed potatoes) . Dinners after that first day usually involve some grilling....steaks, BBQ Chicken, pork Chops. I did a pulled pork a few years ago but it took too long at the site so I will do it ahead of time and bring the meat for heat and serve instead. One thing that always goes over well are campfire onions- a Vidalia onion with the "root core" hollowed out (In a cone shape). Put in a clove of garlic and fill it with butter. Wrap in tinfoil and toss it in the coals. By the time the rest of the meal is ready they are too. Mmmm…..okay...now I'm hungry! ha

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

Dripping Springs, Texas, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

One of my kids' favorites is Walking Tacos, or "Walkie Tacos" as my 6 year old calls them. Stupid simple to make: Single serve bag of Fritos + can of chili + shredded cheese. dump it all into the Fritos bag, hand them a spork and let them at it.
This is a New Mexico staple! (Though we call it Frito Pie :)

Reactions: Road and HeliSniper

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

My annual fishing trip to Maine always has good food. The day we leave we usually bring something frozen that can be heated up when we get there (its pretty much an all day drive to get there) so Shepherds Pie in a throwaway tinfoil tray is a hit (I like to copy the Cheesecake Factory version- "regular" Shepherd's Pie but I add sliced mushrooms, peas and carrots plus a brown gravy. I also add grated parmesan to the top of the mashed potatoes) . Dinners after that first day usually involve some grilling....steaks, BBQ Chicken, pork Chops. I did a pulled pork a few years ago but it took too long at the site so I will do it ahead of time and bring the meat for heat and serve instead. One thing that always goes over well are campfire onions- a Vidalia onion with the "root core" hollowed out (In a cone shape). Put in a clove of garlic and fill it with butter. Wrap in tinfoil and toss it in the coals. By the time the rest of the meal is ready they are too. Mmmm…..okay...now I'm hungry! ha
I make the Onions you describe every year at the first night of Deer Camp, damn good!!

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

Damn there are some skilled chefs here!

My cooking is limited since I use a smallish cooler to bring food.

I vacuum pack steaks and ground beef, with zucchini and mushrooms for dinner. Various marinades before I even leave for the trip, usually a few days to let them soak in. Saves space instead of bringing spices etc.
20200119_175532.jpg
By the way,I like my ribeye super rare.

For breakfast I keep it simple with croissant, egg, smoked ham and ghost pepper cheese. Easy to grill up.

Usually dont eat lunch, as I'm out exploring and probably had a big breakfast already. Or I'll make another crossaint sandwich.

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

Another one is some soup. I dont bring it often because it's hard to bring soup for me.
But hot soup on a cold morning is AMAZING.

I make oxtail and radish soup,usually takes 2 days to make, or 1 day if you got some time.

Soak the oxtail (about 4 or 6 lbs) in a bowl with cold water in the fridge, draining at least 3 or 4 times. 3 to 4 hours.

put about 10 cups of water in a large pot and boil eith the oxtail in there. After the water starts rolling, take the oxtail out and dump the water. This removes excess fat and blood. Will look foamy.

Then start another pot of water, about 10 cups.
Add the oxtail and some radish, cubed or however you like it. You can add carrots and whatever veggies you like, but add soft veggies later.

Cook on high for about 20 minutes, then simmer for a few hours, I go for about 3 hours on very low heat.

Once done, it's not ready yet.
You must cool it, and let the fat harden at the top and scoop out. Usually I'll wait for it to cool down, then set in fridge for a few hours.

Once the fat is removed, it can be put into soup containers or whatever you have.

Traditionally the salt is added per bowl, bot sure why, it might have to do with evaporation. That's just how I learned it.

Oxtail can be replaced with chicken, but I havent done much with chicken other than thighs on the cast iron.

Reactions: andrewksu

Urban gorilla

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Pennsauken nj
Member #

Porkchop paella

So easy to make and so damn good. Cooked over a single Coleman burner in a simple paella pan and easy ingredients.

Throw peppers, onions, garlic and whatever else you like. Brown the pork or beef or bacon then add some rice. 20 mins and you have a super easy dinner.

Goes great with beer

GreyMudder

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Saint-Louis de Kent, NB, Canada
First Name
Rino
Last Name
Granito
Member #

a simple and quick recipe;

need 3 to 4 sausages (Italian mild)
1 large can diced tomatoes
2 zucchinis
2 or 3 green peppers
Olive oil and 15 minutes
Garlic (3 to 4 gloves)
Spices to taste

Cut sausages in small 1 inch pieces, fry in olive oil very high heat to brown the out side. remove sausages , add zucs ( which are halfed and sliced half inch) peppers in small chunks, add minced garlic with vegetables cook on high for 2 minutes , add tomatoes, and cooked sausages. Reduce to medium Add salt pepper, oregano, basil, some crushed chili and remove in 5 to 7 minutes. You can serve on pasta, rice egg noodles, Chinese noodles or just out of the pan

Next time I make some I will take pictures.

Reactions: Boort and J.W.