What are Your Favorite Overland Recipes?

• HTML tutorial

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Lets put together a collection of favorite recipes for the road.

Over the fire, Back pack stove, Cast iron, Plow blade/ Skottle, On the Exhaust Manifold, Solar oven or any other way you enjoy your chow...

Make them as quick or involved as you like but let's see what everyone is enjoying on the trails.

Boort

Some previous threads that touched on the topic:

Last edited:

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
On the road I usually have ham or turkey rollups that my wife makes before I go. Dinner first night is hallways fajitas pre marinated. I guess I'm in a rut.

Reactions: ChambersFamily

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

BBQ Beef Short Ribs & Braising Liquid.
We BBQ these @ home & camping . I'll take a small 30gal offset BBQ smoker (just for camping) & cook these over post oak & mesquite wood 2 1\2hrs on the pit uncovered @ 235 degrees & 2 hrs covered in a braising liquid with red wine, beef stock, root vegetables & herbs @ 275 degrees. Their tender & moist. Some dang good chew'n & swallow'n.
002.JPG 004.JPG 007.JPG 009.JPG 012.JPG

Last edited:

HEYElliott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Markham, Ontario, Canada
Member #

I like to do campfire pizzas.
What you'll need:
Naan bread
Pizza sauce or BBQ Sauce
Cheese of your liking
Toppings of your choice

Create your pizza and you can either cook on a grate and use a foil sheet overtop to radiate heat to melt the cheese or my new favourite method of folding the bread in half like a calzone, wrap it in tinfoil and throw it right into the fire for about 12 minutes

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Definitely advised to not jump in this thread if you're already hungry:grinning:

Steak and peppers is my favorite for dinner, unless I'm looking for something quick and then I'll toss a burger or hot dogs-can't go wrong with either in my opinion, but I'm easy to please!

For breakfast....eggs, bacon, swiss cheese, on a nice onion potato roll!

IMG_9359.jpg

Kenslittle72

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Princeton, Moorpark
Member #

20180727_181636[1].jpg 20180727_183507[1].jpg
Costco frozen Vegetable Yakisoba. Bring up to temp and add what ever pre cooked meat sounds good. I added some beer to the pot while defrosting. This trip I pre BBQ'd chicken brests and then diced them at home. Real easy and doesn't take a lot of watching with the liquid in there to keep from burning the noodles while they defrost. I have a ghost pepper sauce / paste that is just perfect at about 4 drops to a big bowl.
Sorry I forgot to take a pick of the chicken stired in.

JimInBC

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Southern Vancouver Island
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Freer
Member #

View attachment 64059 View attachment 64060
Costco frozen Vegetable Yakisoba. Bring up to temp and add what ever pre cooked meat sounds good. I added some beer to the pot while defrosting. This trip I pre BBQ'd chicken brests and then diced them at home. Real easy and doesn't take a lot of watching with the liquid in there to keep from burning the noodles while they defrost. I have a ghost pepper sauce / paste that is just perfect at about 4 drops to a big bowl.
Sorry I forgot to take a pick of the chicken stired in.
Just picked up some of the Yakisoba from Costco. Was pleasantly surprised. Not as good as the noodle shop down the road but really good and really easy. Made salmon in foil and added it the last time. Quick and tasty.

MLGrace

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

LAKESIDE AZ
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Grace
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran
Chopped japenos, onions, eggs, sausage, cheese in breakfast tacos cooked in cast iron on my old Coleman 2 burner with coffee. Standard breakfast for us.

Chili or beef stew for supper. We usually make this at home and freeze it for the trip.

Dally

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Missoula County, Montana, United States
First Name
Dalton
Last Name
Ram
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
I prefer cast iron personally. It’s heavier than most options out there but if I’ve got room in my rig I’ll take it. One of my favorite breakfasts when I’m out camping or in the trail is super simple and doesn’t take too long to cook.

• throw some olive oil/avancado oil in a pan (or whatever you have) heat up.
•throw some diced potatoes in there with some S+P
•while you’re letting that cook (keeping the potatoes moving around so they don’t stick or burn) cut up some veggies. Bell pepper/yellow pepper/red pepper, onion, garlic, spinach, or whatever else you can think of.
•throw in those veggies after the potatoes have had some time to cook. Cook those veggies till your satisfied with them. (Add S+P or whatever seasoning you want).
•lastly add hella eggs, scramble them up with everything and keep them moving till the eggs are cooked through.

I like to add avocado to it (on the side). It’s a great source of calories and the avocado has a lot of healthy fats. Gotta keep that calorie count up out there!

Firemom

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador

Pioneer III

Rapid City, Meade County, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Deb
Last Name
Lee (Ironhorse Overland)
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKU
Service Branch
Army Reserves
Definitely advised to not jump in this thread if you're already hungry:grinning:

Steak and peppers is my favorite for dinner, unless I'm looking for something quick and then I'll toss a burger or hot dogs-can't go wrong with either in my opinion, but I'm easy to please!

For breakfast....eggs, bacon, swiss cheese, on a nice onion potato roll!

View attachment 61973
Boy are you correct about not jumping in this thread while hungry. We just had a great smoked rib dinner and I'm still salivating at all the yummy sounding and looking food.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

a roast , some bacon under it , potatoes , carrots and a bunch of spices to taste , fill with a couple cups of water in a dutch oven and cook it low and slow for a good 5 hours ....... yumm

Reactions: ADVchef