What are Your Favorite Overland Recipes?

• HTML tutorial

Kilo Sierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Warren, New Hampshire, United States
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Seaverson
Member #

One of my kids' favorites is Walking Tacos, or "Walkie Tacos" as my 6 year old calls them. Stupid simple to make: Single serve bag of Fritos + can of chili + shredded cheese. dump it all into the Fritos bag, hand them a spork and let them at it.
Our Walking Tacos version is to precook some ground beef and spices and freeze it. We also bring along tomatoes, lettuce, cheese, and sour cream if we have space. Instead of Fritos we pack single-serve Doritos bags.

Open the bag, crush the chips, add to taste.

Reactions: HeliSniper

Lunch Box

Rank IV

Advocate II

Happy Friday y’all. Will be cooking some pork adobo for dinner tonight :)
After my rotten old heart! Carne Asada is my go-to dinner in the field. I do like you and cut/prep the meat and bag it in a Ziploc. Cook it in the jankiest wok on Planet Earth, serve with CALIFORNIA avocados on good tortillas.

Breakfast is mexi-burrito time. Chorizo, potatoes (Simply Potatoes O'Brien style is my fave), scrambled eggs and queso fresco. Nothing like a hearty belly full of chorizo before hitting a long, bumpy trail for the day.

Lunches are usually MREs. My family and I play 'MRE Roulette'. I'm writing an MRE gourmet cookbook at the moment.

OutOfStep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego, CA, USA
Member #

After my rotten old heart! Carne Asada is my go-to dinner in the field. I do like you and cut/prep the meat and bag it in a Ziploc. Cook it in the jankiest wok on Planet Earth, serve with CALIFORNIA avocados on good tortillas.

Breakfast is mexi-burrito time. Chorizo, potatoes (Simply Potatoes O'Brien style is my fave), scrambled eggs and queso fresco. Nothing like a hearty belly full of chorizo before hitting a long, bumpy trail for the day.

Lunches are usually MREs. My family and I play 'MRE Roulette'. I'm writing an MRE gourmet cookbook at the moment.
Sounds good boss! I do love MREs

Reactions: Andrew Lopez

ZRex

Rank VII
Launch Member

Explorer I

Elizabethton, TN
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klepp
Member #

If I can get set up and a fire going and have time I love doing a beef or venison stew in the dutch oven, usually 4 hours but the longer the better! Red meat, potatoes, carrots, celery, salt and pepper, lipton onion soup mix, and a handful of other spices depending on what I have with me, no batch is ever the same as the last!

Reactions: ADVchef

Overland_Bubba

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Luxembourg
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Fusenig
Member #

When I am on the way, I often take my Dutch-Oven with me to feast at the fire in the evening.

Here are two of my favorite recipes:

1. deer ragout from the Dutch-Oven
Servings: 6

1 kg deer shoulder
3 onions
100 g bacon
1 tsp tomato paste
1 tablespoon flour for dusting
250 ml red wine (dry)
approx. 500 ml beef soup or wild broth
1 tsp mustard
1 teaspoon thyme (fresh or dried)
salt
Pepper (freshly ground)
clarified butter for browning
500gr potatoes

For the venison ragout from the Dutch Oven, finely chop the onions and cut the bacon into cubes.
Remove the skin and tendons from the meat and cut into 4 x 4 cm cubes.
Heat the clarified butter in the very hot Dutch Oven and fry the meat cubes, bacon cubes and onions.
Add the tomato paste and stir well. Dust with flour. Deglaze with red wine and reduce lightly. Add mustard, orange peel and thyme, salt, pepper and add soup.
Cover and cook for approx. 1 hour. After 20 minutes add the potatoes to the pot.

Tip

The deer ragout gets a fine note if you stir 2 tbsp cranberry jam into the finished ragout. This recipe can also be prepared in a cauldron.

2. layered meat from the Dutch Oven

For the spice mixture

60 g paprika powder
30 g sea salt
55 g brown sugar
20 g garlic powder
30 g chili powder
30 g ground cumin
30 g mustard powder
20 g ground black pepper
10 g cayenne pepper

For the pork neck

3 kg pork neck
1,5 kg onions
Sliced smoked bacon

1. cut the neck of the pork into slices about 1 cm thick.
2. rub the spice mixture into the neck slices. Cover and leave in fridge overnight.
3. Preheat 13 - 15 briquettes in the grill fireplace.
4. Peel the onions and remove the stalk, also cut into 1 cm thick slices and layer up together with the marinated meat in the Dutch Oven - always alternating a layer of meat, a layer of onions and several slices of smoked bacon.
5. preparation with briquettes: Place 5-6 briquettes under the Dutch Oven and 8-9 briquettes on the lid.
There are also other ways of preparation with BBQ sauce, but it is too sweet for me personally.
For both recipes I recommend a well-groomed beer.

Attachments

Last edited:

Nef

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kingman, AZ, USA
First Name
Harold
Last Name
Malave
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AC2UD
House special fried rice
IMG_20181207_111336.jpg
Black beans(cuban style), white rice and grilled chicken
IMG_20181122_165856.jpg
White rice and canned corned beef (Puerto Rican style)IMG_20181128_165042.jpg
Now that I think about it, I make the same food on the trail that I do at home.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

we like (wife & I) experiment with different food @ home to take with us overlanding\dispersed camping trips. This evening made some BBQ Pulled Pork Cilantro Lime Pork Street Tacos to night for supper. Boy they a were good too.

We BBQ a few 7lb Boston Butts up , then portion them in vacuum bags for future meals like these pork street tacos
007.JPG 48056226_1967236753325189_4505533535179767808_n.jpg 41960838_1838771642838368_5590393646529642496_n.jpg 36227109_1718032394912294_7429433286159499264_n.jpg 41808160_1838770979505101_6752479443115048960_n.jpg

Cendee

SE Member Representative
Launch Member
Supporter

Influencer III

West Haven, UT, USA
First Name
Cendee
Last Name
Bjerregaard
Member #

If I can get set up and a fire going and have time I love doing a beef or venison stew in the dutch oven, usually 4 hours but the longer the better! Red meat, potatoes, carrots, celery, salt and pepper, lipton onion soup mix, and a handful of other spices depending on what I have with me, no batch is ever the same as the last!
What utensil set is this? I have been looking for a good one.

Reactions: Drifterman

Cendee

SE Member Representative
Launch Member
Supporter

Influencer III

West Haven, UT, USA
First Name
Cendee
Last Name
Bjerregaard
Member #

BBQ Beef Short Ribs & Braising Liquid.
We BBQ these @ home & camping . I'll take a small 30gal offset BBQ smoker (just for camping) & cook these over post oak & mesquite wood 2 1\2hrs on the pit uncovered @ 235 degrees & 2 hrs covered in a braising liquid with red wine, beef stock, root vegetables & herbs @ 275 degrees. Their tender & moist. Some dang good chew'n & swallow'n.
View attachment 47247 View attachment 47249 View attachment 47250 View attachment 47253 View attachment 47255
Well its official.. My next outing is going to be with you. :0)

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Gotta love flour tortillas! Scramble up some eggs and cheese with whatever meat is around and ya got a good breakfast burrito....instead of bread, use a tortilla with sandwich meat, lettuce and tomato and there's lunch. Mix a can of chili with refried beans and theres a good burrito for supper. I have even put some oil or butter in a skillet with sugar and cinnamon and fried a tortilla in that and it made a good dessert. And they're cheap! :)

Basically, ANYTHING left over can be put on a tortilla with topped with cheese and hot sauce.