Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

What security do you have?

A side from making sure nothing is left on display, or left in the rig, what security do folk have for preventing theft of the vehicle itself?

Here in the UK, theft of Landrovers, especially Defenders, is big business for the criminal fraternity. Not a day goes buy without at least one being reported on one or more of the Facebook Landrover or Defender groups. I know this gives focus on the subject and probably paints a really bad picture because of that focus, but it is real.

Many of us have things like pedal locks, steering wheel locks, trackers, alarms, immobilisers etc... etc... It's all about creating layers of protection.

So I thought I'd throw it out on here, to see what folks do in other countries. Maybe there's other security/theft prevention kit around that we don't see here in the UK, so looking for other ideas.

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

I haven't done it yet, but my to-do list includes setting up both battery and fuel cut-offs. My truck prior to this one was stolen last year, so this is something I'm very conscious of.

Reactions: chuckoverland

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

Even though I live in one of the safest countries on planet earth, I should probably look into this for future roadtrips, thanks for creating this thread.

family-overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Konstanz, Germany
First Name
phil
Last Name
mädler
Member #

i got a immobilizer. and i‘ll never leave equipment in the car when not on a trip. The RTT and other equipment on the roof is secured with padlocks to the roofrack thats also locked.

Gesendet von iPhone mit OB Talk

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I always wanted a vehicle with twin transfer cases if nothing else, just to put them all in the wrong places. It’d be funny to watch... a hidden electrical cutoff would be the cheap easy way, or if it’s occasional circumstances you could just pull a fuse.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Timothy Jones

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Portland Oregon
Member #

I have recently been giving this a good amount of thought and i believe i have come up with a couple of decent solutions for my situation. On top of getting a rear view mirror dash cam that records video and audio inside and outside of the vehicle if the car is entered or tampered with i plan to get a viper security 2 way alarm that signals me within a mile if the car has a broken window and or is moved or the elevation is changed after the alarm is set. On top of this i am planning on installing which is a battery cut off switch but instead of installing it on the battery im going to use one on the negative lead for the engine starter and one for the negative lead on the gas tank pump both in different locations lockable by a lock box inside the cab.

Reactions: Road and nickburt

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
On my 90' 4runner I welded a link of chain to the t-case shifter. When I put the transmission shifter into reverse, I can lock the two shifters together, so you're unable to shift. This is addition to a few kill switches on the fuel injection circuit are what I've done in the way of vehicle security...

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
In addition to the factory immobilizer, I have a Bear-Lock and steering wheel lock. But if they really want it they’ll flat-bed it. So, good insurance too. Every mod (pictures &receipt) was sent to the insurance company and most was added to the policy. Some for free and some with a slight increase in premium. I rest easy because I know I’ve done all I can.

Reactions: nickburt

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

I bought this Steering Wheel + Hub + Quick Release Combo from Amazon so I just take my steering wheel with me in my backpack.
4151mxLZgiL.jpg

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

All great ideas, our 90 toyota pickup was stolen last fall and stripped. We have a club steering wheel lock but ive been considering a kill switch. The shifter lock sounds like and easy one too, thanks for that.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I used to just try to drive the biggest piece of s*** vehicle I could find that way no one would want to steal it, I had a little 88 Toyota Camry that I always use for hiking because who in the hell is going to steal an 88 Toyota Camry lol

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

Seems that the vehicles most of us like, at least in the US, correspond to what everyone else, including thieves, likes; i.e. older Landrovers, a wide variety of Jeeps, Toyotas (including the ever popular Land Cruisers) and so on.

With that in mind I opted for something not so common, not so popular, with an almost non-existant aftermarket support for any 4x4 products. I drive a plane old '02 Ford Ranger XLT pickup.

Since its not on the "radar" of fashion and trend I'm really comfortable leaving it parked at trailheads when we take hikes or leaveing it in public parking.

Of course I could just be fooling myself but so far life is good. My greatest worry is the potential loss/theft of my BFG KO2 tires so I've installed them with a security lug nut. In addition I've also opted to run 16" rims verses the more popular 17+" rims - so once again going with "non-mainstream" gear.

As they say - "YMMV" Of course now that I've stated all this I hope I haven't put a "karma curse" on myself!!

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

Every rig above 60k euro's needs to have an alarm when sold new here.. Else they don't even give them insurance.

So the Cruiser has an alarm system. That with steering lock hopefully keeps it safe. Can't really do much more anyway.
I've secured with spare wheel with 3 secure lug nuts as well just because that is the easyest to get to. Nothing on the 4 wheels though. But they need to bring a big ass bottle jack anyway to jack the rig up it sits a bit higher then a normal vehicle.. and it has 6 nuts instead of 4/5 that most vehicles have. If they really go through the trouble then they can get anything off so yea..

Reactions: Road

Crazjtk

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Ravenna, Michigan
Member #

As of right now, the only security my vehicle has is what it came from the factory with: Being RHD, Manual, and diesel (with glow plugs) in the US, where none of those things are normal. I will probably add a cutoff switch and a shifter lock as my build progresses, as well as locks for any exterior gear, of course.

Reactions: Cort

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

On my cj had a steel plate made that locked the twin stick atlas in f/r low and the trans in reverse bolt cutter proof lock. Battery and fuel remote cut off switches.

kappels

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Chattanooga, TN
Member #

I currently use a club for my 04 Wrangler. About a year ago, some punk decided to try to steal my 09 Commander in broad daylight in an attached parking garage. They meddled so much with the door that they busted some mechanisms inside the driver door and lock system.

Once I bought the Wrangler, I decided to get the club and of course remove any “valued” objects. I also have a soft top, so leaving doors unlocked and often windows down, to hopefully deter some theft and top cutting. Definitely looking into a remote cut-off/disconnect switch going forward.