Tundra Bumpers

• HTML tutorial

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

I like the Iron Cross bumpers. I will have the front and rear on mine someday. Hopefully next summer.

Tundraoverland1

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas
Member #

I'm waiting for Pelfreybilt to come out with theres. also SDHQ has a nice one as well as Camburg (have to call for pricing)

Mitchymoo

Rank 0

Traveler I

@Tundraoverland1 you looking at the aluminum one or steel? I like the weight savings of aluminum but not comfortable with having the weight of the tundra plus gear being tugged on. We installed one for a customer on a 4runner and it didn't seem too tough for 3200 bucks! You ever look at the DC Bumpers?
@Scout the iron cross it tough as nails but seems really bulky for the tundra?

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

I've seen a few on different makes and models of truck. Then I saw a Tundra trade in at my local Toyota dealer. To me, the truck can't be stock for the bulk of the bumper. If you intend to lift the truck at least 2" and add taller and a little wider tire, the bumper doesn't "as" bulky. The rear bumper looks ok.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

After spending way, way too much time trying to sort through bumper options for my 2014 Tundra ....I went with the SSO Slimline bumper for the front, and decided to get a Hitchgate with dual fuel can and hi-lift holder for the rear.

Honestly, most of the Tundra bumpers are the most gawd awful fugly mall crawling only things I've ever seen. I am building a very functional and capable rig, will be hauling a Four Wheel Camper around North America, and weight vs. functionality vs stealthy-aesthetics has been my main concern.

I like the SSO Slimline bumper for it's very stealthy looks, to me it almost looks OEM, as if it should be there. And as a winch bumper it is totally functional. I needed a rear bumper that would hold a 34" spare wheel, fuel, and a hi-lift. I looked at the couple full dual-swing rear bumpers and they were so cost prohibitive that I simply decided the Hitchgate would do everything I required of it, and be removable when necessary.

I also threw sliders into my decision making process....and decided to order the Slee sliders at the end of the day. These were about the priciest sliders, but I wanted something that was 100% functional, that I could jack up the vehicle from, and that had a good solid covered flat step surface for the Wife to use, and no open tubes for the dogs to get their paws stuck in.

In purchasing and setting up the Tundra for "overland" adventure use, the one thing I've noticed is that most of the "modified" trucks I'm coming across, and many of the products I've found for the Tundra are vehicles and items that are not designed for or will never be used for an off-road (intended) purpose. It has made it hard to weed out the fluff from the real goods.

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Can you post a few pics? I think I like that bumper better than the Iron Cross ones.

Last edited:

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Can you post a few pics? I think I like that bumper better than the Iron Cross ones.
I'm waiting for mine to be manufactured. So all I've see is pictures on their website and random Googled ones. They have been good to deal with so far. The ETA for my bumper is looking like its going to be 2 months, which seems to be the norm for many bumpers these days.

I order mine with the front hoop and the front led light strip.
http://www.southernstyleoffroad.com/product/2014-tundra-slimline-hybrid/

Oh, and as I live in the Okanagan it 's easy for me to use a US drop ship business just across the border from me......which cuts down on any excessive cross border shipping and/or brokerage fees.

Reactions: Scout

BigAZAdventures

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Arizona
Member #

After spending way, way too much time trying to sort through bumper options for my 2014 Tundra ....I went with the SSO Slimline bumper for the front, and decided to get a Hitchgate with dual fuel can and hi-lift holder for the rear.

Honestly, most of the Tundra bumpers are the most gawd awful fugly mall crawling only things I've ever seen. I am building a very functional and capable rig, will be hauling a Four Wheel Camper around North America, and weight vs. functionality vs stealthy-aesthetics has been my main concern.

I like the SSO Slimline bumper for it's very stealthy looks, to me it almost looks OEM, as if it should be there. And as a winch bumper it is totally functional. I needed a rear bumper that would hold a 34" spare wheel, fuel, and a hi-lift. I looked at the couple full dual-swing rear bumpers and they were so cost prohibitive that I simply decided the Hitchgate would do everything I required of it, and be removable when necessary.

I also threw sliders into my decision making process....and decided to order the Slee sliders at the end of the day. These were about the priciest sliders, but I wanted something that was 100% functional, that I could jack up the vehicle from, and that had a good solid covered flat step surface for the Wife to use, and no open tubes for the dogs to get their paws stuck in.

In purchasing and setting up the Tundra for "overland" adventure use, the one thing I've noticed is that most of the "modified" trucks I'm coming across, and many of the products I've found for the Tundra are vehicles and items that are not designed for or will never be used for an off-road (intended) purpose. It has made it hard to weed out the fluff from the real goods.
I'm in the same boat as you, love the Tundra platform, just not many bumper options out there. I decided on the Slimline as well, ordered it on Black Friday. I opted for the Warn 12-S Platinum too. My goal is to have an extremely functional Offroad truck that is incognito.

Reactions: trikebubble

Mitchymoo

Rank 0

Traveler I

I'm waiting for mine to be manufactured. So all I've see is pictures on their website and random Googled ones. They have been good to deal with so far. The ETA for my bumper is looking like its going to be 2 months, which seems to be the norm for many bumpers these days.

I order mine with the front hoop and the front led light strip.
http://www.southernstyleoffroad.com/product/2014-tundra-slimline-hybrid/

Oh, and as I live in the Okanagan it 's easy for me to use a US drop ship business just across the border from me......which cuts down on any excessive cross border shipping and/or brokerage fees.
Man, this is exactly how I feel about all the bumpers out there too! This truck is designed to be reliable and functional. With the least amount of attention to me.

I do like the SSO bumper. Another company that does the same kind of thing is replaced the front black plastic. But keeps the ends.

Mitchymoo

Rank 0

Traveler I

I'm in the same boat as you, love the Tundra platform, just not many bumper options out there. I decided on the Slimline as well, ordered it on Black Friday. I opted for the Warn 12-S Platinum too. My goal is to have an extremely functional Offroad truck that is incognito.
I think anything you want to do for the Tundra is not supported by aftermarket. What I have found is weak sauce for actual usability.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

So I was able to get the bumper setup in the garage. I wound the line on just to have it ready for installation (I'll unwind it and tension it back on properly once installed). Winter has hit here with a vengeance so I may have to wait until spring to bolt it pt the truck now.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

soarvet

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Buford, GA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Thats the one I'm waiting on myself. Was that the free light they were giving away during the Black Friday sale?

Mitchymoo

Rank 0

Traveler I

Did you get the bumper installed? how does it look?
So I was able to get the bumper setup in the garage. I wound the line on just to have it ready for installation (I'll unwind it and tension it back on properly once installed). Winter has hit here with a vengeance so I may have to wait until spring to bolt it pt the truck now.

Has anyone tried the Demello Winch Plate for the 2007 - 2013 Tundra's? I'm trying to go as close to incognito as possible as well.
I like the idea of having everything hidden, it seems today people want your stuff more then you do. I have heard good things about this setup though.

Reactions: NOMAD5326

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I like the idea of having everything hidden, it seems today people want your stuff more then you do. I have heard good things about this setup though.
Hey. Not yet. We're in the dead of winter still. Should clear up, and warm up, enough in a month.

Reactions: Scout

22Echo

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Cedar Hill, TX 75104, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Wicker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5BDT

So the SSO doesnt appear to have winch access holes. How has that impacted you? BTW, thanks for posting. I was 12hrs away from ordering the expedition one for front and rear. Now I want the SSO in front.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

So the SSO doesnt appear to have winch access holes. How has that impacted you? BTW, thanks for posting. I was 12hrs away from ordering the expedition one for front and rear. Now I want the SSO in front.
Mine does have access holes on both sides. My license plate covers one hole, and I access the release lever thru the other. I think it can be ordered with or without (if you have a remote control winch)