Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Playing devil's advocate for a moment, and assuming by backyard you mean your own area and not a literal backyard, if you have an accident or health issue how is it any different if it's your local healthcare/hospital or one somewhere else? It's not.

The purpose of avoiding non-essential travel is to slow the spread of covid. This is direct from the CDC. Nothing to do with stressing the healthcare system if you were to have an accident which can happen anywhere, even in your own backyard (literal backyard). I'm not going to suggest that people stop traveling for outdoor, socially-distanced and responsible activities. For many of us, that escape (and the anticipation leading up to it) are the only things keeping us sane. For many of us, it is essential. I'm sorry that first responders are stressed out by out of state plates, but that is the job they signed up for.

Travel responsibly. Mental health is critical during these times and what someone may think of as non-essential someone else may see as essential. That is not an excuse to be flippant or irresponsible, of course.
Exactly. Nobody talks about the mental health of business owners having to shut the doors and lay people off due to the lack of customers.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
The issue for many, especially first responders, is if in your travels, you have an accident, or health issue, you are stressing the hospital and health system and the first responders who must attend. If you avoid non essential travel...... you might not have that accident, you might not add to the stress of administering not just health care but also all the COVID related protocols first responders are required to provide.

I guess most people who see out of state plates just jump to the conclusion "what a selfish, ignorant, entitled idiot" and they do crazy things like give you the finger or key your car or say f----off when you stop for gas. The world is different today, you may not understand that but, the world is different today.

I read a report from MOAB first responders last May, they were saying just watching an out of state Jeep towing a trailer or with an RTT on the roof drive by caused them duress. A bit of empathy might go a long way to understand....... AVOID NON ESSENTIAL TRAVEL..... PLAY IN YOUR OWN BACKYARD....

oh and pandemics are not political.
A pandemic may not be political but the response to it is very political and biased.
I see and understand your view and your opinion though I do not agree with your conclusions about people reaction to out of state travelers. I dont see that kind of meanness in my world.

It is a different world as you say and that gives everyone the right to be an ass hole. They get to that status all by themselves..

Reactions: 9Mike2

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Ok folks, keep it to travel restrictions, not who is or is not wearing whatever or who imposes what.......

PLEASE

Jim

Last edited:

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
There's no good reason for any of this. Especially the travel restrictions.

Looky looky, now they're admitting that sun, and outdoor activities are good at preventing this illness, just like we all new.......about 100 years ago. ''Better stay off that beach peasant.'' Actually, I got plenty of sun on our lakes kayaking alone. Our Rangers didn't give me any trouble. But it's not like they had much choice. I've been on the front line since Feb last year, and have been fine.

My favorite 4x4 shop, dive shop, and campground are all out of biz now. My favorite drysuit manufacturer seems to be going under as well.

Last edited:

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
It is sad, not long ago while traveling to work in other places of the world an announcement came over the airplane PA system which was simply due to covid we will not be serving beverages or food. 20 min later I see first-class eating and drinking. As the stewardess came by I asked her I thought due to covid no food or drink. She looked at me and stated well they paid more for their seat, I simply replied so it's not due to covid it's an elite money thing, and followed up with if I pay enough do I not have to wear a mask. She stormed off all angry. This stuff is just getting stupid comical now. Everything should be opened up and people be responsible for themselves.

wishihada4runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

It is sad, not long ago while traveling to work in other places of the world an announcement came over the airplane PA system which was simply due to covid we will not be serving beverages or food. 20 min later I see first-class eating and drinking. As the stewardess came by I asked her I thought due to covid no food or drink. She looked at me and stated well they paid more for their seat, I simply replied so it's not due to covid it's an elite money thing, and followed up with if I pay enough do I not have to wear a mask. She stormed off all angry. This stuff is just getting stupid comical now. Everything should be opened up and people be responsible for themselves.
You’re only allowed to be responsible for yourself if you follow the left narrative and act in their definition of “responsible”. I had a very left leaning friend tell me that she wants the government to give everyone a set income and manage the money for the people because some people don’t k ow how to manage their own money. I was literally speechless.

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
On the travel restriction point per this post .... the Government is looking into banning travel to Florida wow it gets even crazier. Seems the model of Sweden and now Florida work but it doesn't fall in line with the narrative and fear-mongering.

egilbe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Biddeford, Maine, USA
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Gilbert
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFT263, HAM:
a fearful population is easily controlled and manipulated.

There was a case of a driver from VT that was pulled out of his car and attacked in Portland, apparently because he was from VT. VT is even more fearful of Covid and restrictive than Maine is. Now, the New Yorkers and Mass plates, I can see attacking them. :tearsofjoy:

just kidding. The real estate boom absolutely exploded up here with all the city dwellers escaping the madness. I figured after the first Winter, they would all be headed back to warmer climes and wouldn;t you know it, we have the warmest January on record. Now, those buzzards will stick around another year.

I laugh to myself when I see hikers in the White mountains hiking with masks on. This time of year they double as neck gaiters, but in the Summer when the humidity is so high? Nah, I'll pass on the mask.

Fauci has gone from saying masks won;t doing anything, to wear one mask or a face covering, to double up on masks, to help prevent the spread of Covid. I swear he owns a company that produces masks, I know he has a financial interest in the pharmacuetical companies. I'll try to be the last person innoculated. My immune system is very capable of taking care of any infections, thank you very much.

I saw a car from Quebec this fall. With the border closed, he must have goetten trapped here. Poor guy. A lot of the border towns did a very brisk business with the other country, families live on either side, or both sides. With the bridges blocked, all the travel was across the St John river by boat. Pretty funny.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
The restrictions are just to piss us off. There's covid on both sides of that border. You don't have to worry about spreading what everyone already has. Border closures came almost a year too late to stop jack squat.

Southern border is wide open right now. Everyone's been told to stand down and allow it. Thousands will flood across it, today.

Middle East restrictions are over as well. So if you want to overland in Kuwait, now's the time.

Oh, and as predicted

So I'd think twice about using a vaccine to get around the restrictions. (especially if Bill Gates is standing over you and smiling like a Cheshire cat while you're getting stabbed)

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
The travel restrictions here in Cal are odd. We were not allowed gatherings during the holidays. I can see that. Covid is only transmitted between the hours of 10pm and 6am. I can see that too. Some of the bars started allowing things and it got stupid. You cant travel a certain distance from your home. OK, sure. One of my students was pulled over and ticketed while traveling home on a weekend. He stays out here for school and he actually lives 150 miles away (round trip is 300 miles. that's past the limit). He didn't tell me why he was pulled over to begin with but the officer only ticketed him for the distance traveled.

Now is where it gets odd.
Our governor has been caught (on video) throwing huge parties with no mask's. One of which it appears a governor from another state was exposed (as well as several others) went home and shut down his state.
Most of the counties have asked where he got all his data because it doesn't seem to match reality and his reply was "Im not going to tell you because you wont understand it"
Some of the top police officials have told him to "pound sand" and they don't have the manpower to enforce his latest rules. One official went as far as calling him a hypocrite as well as other things, in public media.
Our governor has virtually no restrictions applied to where his personal vineyards are located but has his competition locked down. There are several law suits due to this.

I'm an instructor, we only shut down for a month so we could rework our curriculum. I have held class, labs and lectures through this whole thing. We do all the right things, distance, masks, wash hands... We get about one reported "exposure" a month. Normally its a student who was told someone he knows was exposed. That student and anyone he was near in class (weather or not he has it) is quarantined for 2 weeks min.

A few weeks ago, one of the instructors finally gets sick. He stays home for two weeks and it doesn't hit him too hard. Two things happened here. First, he hadn't gone out anywhere besides work. That includes grocery stores or restaurants. He is very OCD about distance, masks..... He gets a call from the CDC. They want all the info he can give them because it seems they have been watching us and the few other schools who didn't really shut down.

First, I take everything I'm told with a grain of salt. He asked the CDC guy "how did I catch this?". He said the guy chuckled and told him masks are just placebos to make people feel safe. He then asked, why haven't some of the others gotten sick? he was told, its possible they already had it and have built an immunity to it. It has been in the country way longer than you were told. This was last week.

This week I'm shown video footage of a meeting between government officials. It appears the Mic and camera were left running. They talk about the masks doing nothing and surprisingly about how over inflated the numbers are, especially in Cal.
I have two friends in major hospitals, they talk about how the numbers are inflated because the hospital makes more money if they check the Covid box.

The problem here is the people don't know what or who to believe. The media is all over the board. Some say its now worse than ever others are saying its almost gone. It seems some people are using it for financial gain and "possibly" inflating numbers or giving false reports.

I know this is a real disease. I indirectly know people who have died and personally know people who have been sick. Someone said a pandemic is not political. That is true. The swine flue wasn't political, chicken pox isn't political and the list goes on. Why is this being made political?
Just tell me the truth, don't try to "protect me". Above all, don't use this for political posturing, political gain or monetary gain.

Last edited:

wishihada4runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

+1 - hospitals get extra funding from checking the Rona box

+1 - I’ve had several people tell me they think they had it in 2019, the determining factor by saying they lost taste and smell, so that lines up with “it’s been in the country much longer than you think”

+1 - know people who have gotten it and one who has died with it, he was old but I also know 3 other older folks who were perfectly fine.Wife and I both had it, we have the paper telling us so, they had to shut down her work for 2 weeks when she found out. She works at a day care.

+100 -HYPOCRISY

• Sad

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
yeah, the government is obviously about total control over everyone and taking away everything they can. even henry kissenger talked about the one world government (new world order) back when he was sec of state for nixon. every president since, except for trump, has talked about one central government for everyone...reagan and bush sr. specifically called it the "new world order" on televised speeches...it was put out loud and proud and we are seeing it played out fast and furious now. just like a "hostile takeover" in the business world, a big strong entity will weaken and destroy other entities and then totally take them over. the government is able to shit all over everyone because they work together for a common goal and they have numbers and they have unity while the citizens fight amongst themselves over what pronouns to use or who is trying to kill someone's grandma by not wearing a mask.

who knows how this will play out...more than likely, it will be pretty much 1984 by Orwell in the very near future...who knows

BUT, the good news is that the OB forum is pretty big and there are also some numbers here and some unity (just disregard the locked threads :grinning:)
so, using what we have...why not have our own system in place for overlanding? its been mentioned before, but now would be a great time for us to unite and help each other travel. i'm down in the swamps with a few acers that could easily accommodate a decent sized OB group. if a lot of the state and national parks are closed, then maybe we find alternate locations and we can rely on OB members putting up OB members and we can still get out and travel and enjoy seeing new places. i know its not for everyone, but just a few of us working together like this will make a difference.

i figure i can either sit and bitch about how messed up things are...OR i can stretch out an extension cord and water hose in the back yard and host some OB campers. (i'll probably still bitch...but you get the idea....)

IMG_0064.JPG
this is the back of my property...open to anyone passing thru or wanting to check out the swamps

Last edited:

Surffishingbum

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Newtown, PA, USA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Wabals
Member #

The travel restrictions here in Cal are odd. On one hand we were not allowed gatherings during the holidays. I can see that. Covid is only transmitted between the hours of 10pm and 6am. I can see that too. Some of the bars started allowing things and it got stupid. You cant travel a certain distance from your home. OK, sure. One of my students was pulled over and ticketed while traveling home on a weekend. He stays out here for school and he actually lives 150 miles away (round trip is 300 miles. that's past the limit). He didn't tell me why he was pulled over to begin with but the officer only ticketed him for the distance traveled.

Now is where it gets odd.
Our governor has been caught (on video) throwing huge parties with no mask's. One of which it appears a governor from another state was exposed (as well as several others) went home and shut down his state.
Most of the counties have asked where he got all his data because it doesn't seem to match reality and his reply was "Im not going to tell you because you wont understand it"
Some of the top police officials have told him to "pound sand" and they don't have the manpower to enforce his latest rules. One official went as far as calling him a hypocrite as well as other things, in public media.
Our governor has virtually no restrictions applied to where his personal vineyards are located but has his competition locked down. There are several law suits due to this.

I'm an instructor, we only shut down for a month so we could rework our curriculum. I have held class, labs and lectures through this whole thing. We do all the right things, distance, masks, wash hands... We get about one reported "exposure" a month. Normally its a student was told someone he knows was exposed. That student and anyone he was near in class (weather or not he has it) is quarantined for 2 weeks min.

A few weeks ago, one of the instructors finally gets sick. He stays home for two weeks and it doesn't hit him too hard. Two things happened here. First, he hadn't gone out anywhere besides work. That includes grocery stores or restaurants. He is very OCD about distance, masks..... He gets a call from the CDC. They want all the info he can give them because it seems they have been watching us and the few other schools who didn't really shut down.

First, I take everything I'm told with a grain of salt. He asked the CDC guy "how did I catch this?". He said the guy chuckled and told him masks are just placebos to make people feel safe. He then asked, why haven't some of the others gotten sick? he was told, its possible they already had it and have built an immunity to it. It has been in the country way longer than you were told. This was last week.

This week I'm shown video footage of a meeting between government officials. It appears the Mic and camera were left running. They talk about the masks doing nothing and surprisingly about how over inflated the numbers are, especially in Cal.
I have two friends in major hospitals, they talk about how the numbers are inflated because the hospital makes more money if they check the Covid box.

The problem here is the people don't know what or who to believe. The media is all over the board. Some say its now worse than ever others are saying its almost gone. It seems some people are using it for financial gain and "possibly" inflating numbers or giving false reports.

I know this is a real disease. I indirectly know people who have died and personally know people who have been sick. Someone said a pandemic is not political. That is true. The swine flue wasn't political, chicken pox isn't political and the list goes on. Why is this being made political?
Just tell me the truth, don't try to "protect me". Above all, don't use this for political posturing, political gain or monetary gain.

Florida is open and they have limited restrictions, it is working there, NY as of today has more cases of Covy, this is ridiculous, they love to use the term follow the science when it works to their advantage, but Fuchi says there is no reason why you can't vote in person and all of a sudden the science is nuts. It is a joke these Politicians are playing games with us to see how far they can go. Rules for thee, but not for me, is their attitudes, they have proved over and over again that they don't follow their own rules. Why people are not sick of the hypocrisy of these people is beyond me. I am still waiting for 46 to unveil his secrete weapon to defeating Covy, which he claimed he had during his campaign, I was so excited to hear that. (eye roll) I guess he doesn't really have the plan he claimed he did, but hey he is looking into preventing people from domestic travel to and from FLA, sounds more like punishment towards a state that is showing up states like CA and NY. You cant enter or leave Florida, but hey we are going to allow thousands of illegals to enter our country untested, sounds hypocritical to me. This whole thing is political and it has been from the first day. Sorry for the rant I just can't take these hypocritical Politicians anymore.

Surffishingbum

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Newtown, PA, USA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Wabals
Member #

yeah, the government is obviously about total control over everyone and taking away everything they can. even henry kissenger talked about the one world government (new world order) back when he was sec of state for nixon. every president since, except for trump, has talked about one central government for everyone...reagan and bush sr. specifically called it the "new world order" on televised speeches...it was put out loud and proud and we are seeing it played out fast and furious now. just like a "hostile takeover" in the business world, a big strong entity will weaken and destroy other entities and then totally take them over. the government is able to shit all over everyone because they work together for a common goal and they have numbers and they have unity while the citizens fight amongst themselves over what pronouns to use or who is trying to kill someone's grandma by not wearing a mask.

who knows how this will play out...more than likely, it will be pretty much 1984 by Orwell in the very near future...who knows

BUT, the good news is that the OB forum is pretty big and there are also some numbers here and some unity (just disregard the locked threads :grinning:)
so, using what we have...why not have our own "underground railroad" for overlanding? its been mentioned before, but now would be a great time for us to unite and help each other travel. i'm down in the swamps with a few acers that could easily accommodate a decent sized OB group. if a lot of the state and national parks are closed, then maybe we find alternate locations and we can rely on OB members putting up OB members and we can still get out and travel and enjoy seeing new places. i know its not for everyone, but just a few of us working together like this will make a difference.

i figure i can either sit and bitch about how messed up things are...OR i can stretch out an extension cord and water hose in the back yard and host some OB campers. (i'll probably still bitch...but you get the idea....)

View attachment 187466
this is the back of my property...open to anyone passing thru or wanting to check out the swamps
Nice set-up

Reactions: grubworm

terryg

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Nixa, MO, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Gandy
Member #

+1 - hospitals get extra funding from checking the Rona box

+1 - I’ve had several people tell me they think they had it in 2019, the determining factor by saying they lost taste and smell, so that lines up with “it’s been in the country much longer than you think”

+1 - know people who have gotten it and one who has died with it, he was old but I also know 3 other older folks who were perfectly fine.Wife and I both had it, we have the paper telling us so, they had to shut down her work for 2 weeks when she found out. She works at a day care.

+100 -HYPOCRISY
My 90 year-old aunt who is frail and on oxygen 100% of the time got COVID. Complete recovery. I was diagnosed with COVID in December and had a slight headache and was tired.
I had to go to a Springfield, MO hospital last week for a bad fall on ice. The ER was overflowing with fall victims. The COVID isolation room had 2 people in it. So much for overwhelmed hospitals.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

The purpose of avoiding non-essential travel is to slow the spread of covid.
The purpose of the non essential travel order is to reduce over loading our health care system and hospital beds. Slowing the spread is definitely a result, but not the goal.

If you stay at home you will likely not have an accident nor get the virus. Quite right if you exit the house, you create a risk, the play in your own backyard..... or the 100 mile rule.... gives the option of fresh air, recreation, mental health too responsibly.

Those having zero empathy with the rest of my post, have at 'er, travel the country, just don't expect a warm welcome everywhere you travel.

Last edited:

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

The purpose of the non essential travel order is to reduce over loading our health care system and hospital beds. Slowing the spread is definitely a result, but not the goal.

If you stay at home you will likely not have an accident nor get the virus. Quite right if you exit the house, you create a risk, the play in your own backyard..... or the 100 mile rule.... gives the option of fresh air, recreation, mental health too responsibly.

Those having zero empathy with the rest of my post, have at 'er, travel the country, just don't expect a warm welcome everywhere you travel.
You do realize quite a few paramedic visits are to homes, don’t you? People fall at home, choke on popcorn, and have heart attacks all the time. You don‘t have to travel to have an emergency. If I go to an ER in Georgia versus Florida, is one more severe than the other?

Reactions: DMS1 and M Rose

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
News flash, the hospitals are losing their arses.

They have to pad their covid numbers to get kickbacks. The loss of regularly scheduled surgeries and non emergency stuff is killing them. IMO, good. They get to feel the economic pain like everyone else.