First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
good question.

i dont think enforcement is going to be as much a thing with government officials getting involved as it will be with common people. for example, just posting on this forum that you want to get out and travel will bring a shit storm from a few who will be going off on how you are putting others at "risk" with your self centered careless actions of wanting to travel. those are the folk i worry about. like the youtube vid where a couple were in a park sitting at a table 100's of feet from anyone else and they weren't wearing a mask. some crazy heifer ran over to the couple and sprayed them with mace for not wearing a mask and endangering everyone.
you have a LOT of brainwashed sheep out there thinking it is up to THEM to bring others to justice.
that is the biggest concern i see

there are restrictions here that not everyone complies with and the only people that seem to get upset are regular folk. i've seen people go into walmart and home depot without a mask and other shoppers took it upon themselves to get upset. saw a woman go off on a guy in home depot for getting closer than 6' from her in a check out line and she wanted to get physical with him. i comply simply because i dont want to deal with people like that

Last edited:

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
So much for the "Pursuit of Happiness" and all that stuff! Where can one get mace anyway? I thought it was only pepper spray stuff available? I think I would like to have some since I found out wasp spray is ineffective. LOL, hijacking my own thread!

I generally only go to places that interest fishermen (and women) and other outdoorsmen and they tend to be a little more level-headed...I hope. And, I don't have a problem wearing a mask to make other feel more comfortable...indoors. I just usually have to turn around halfway into the store and go back and get it. I've been social distancing way before it got popular.

Reactions: grubworm

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
I'd say that for most of us those restrictions and requirements are a non-issue. Self-quarantine and/or test out. Since many of us make being self-reliant and self-containment part of overlanding we're basically self-quarantining everywhere we go, the exception being when we need to stock up on supplies, so best be sure you have enough to get you by until you reach the self-quarantine time or test out. In most cases, they are wanting to keep travelers out of crowded indoor locations; Restaurants, stores, bars, etc. because those are the places travelers tend to go.

If you're camping and sticking to camping, hiking, fishing, etc where there are no other people around then you shouldn't be considered to be violating self-quarantine requirements. For example, Maine was one state we were thinking about traveling to again this summer and they state "People in quarantine may leave hotels or campsites to do outdoor activity such as hiking." This is reasonable and I would hope other states would be similarly reasonable.

Our main trip this summer wouldn't be through or to any currently-restricted states so I'm not too concerned, but folks should definitely be aware of what to expect when traveling to another state if they plan on spending time around other people.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Surffishingbum

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Newtown, PA, USA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Wabals
Member #

I try
good question.

i dont think enforcement is going to be as much a thing with government officials as it will be with common people. for example, just posting on this forum that you want to get out and travel will bring a shit storm from a few who will be going off on how you are putting others at "risk" with your self centered careless actions of wanting to travel. those are the folk i worry about. like the youtube vid where a couple were in a park sitting at a table 100's of feet from anyone else and they weren't wearing a mask. some crazy heifer ran over to the couple and sprayed them with mace for not wearing a mask and endangering everyone.
you have a LOT of brainwashed sheep out there thinking it is up to THEM to bring others to justice.
that is the biggest concern i see

Unforchanatly, I avoid states where 50% of the population is not welcomed, this how I feel after being called names and threatened for four years. It is pretty sad that this is how people make others feel, but this is the country today and I don't see it getting better anytime soon, really sad.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Who's enforcing them? Likely state police are by order of that states governor. Anyone with outta state plates gets the treatment.

If your trapped you just need to figure out what your state has to offer or the next state you have access to.
Or take the backroads everywhere it will eat up gas to travel but you wouldn't have state troopers to pull you over.

Reactions: grubworm

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Fun Fact: Life expectancy is probably much higher for people that mind their own business than ones that don't. Someone should do a research project on that. JK. If one sees a major crime they should do their civic duty and report it.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I try

Unforchanatly, I avoid states where 50% of the population is not welcomed, this how I feel after being called names and threatened for four years. It is pretty sad that this is how people make others feel, but this is the country today and I don't see it getting better anytime soon, really sad.

Pick your destinations with that sort of criteria in mind and you should have no problems.

Rural areas seem to have a practical perspective and not so much fear.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Leaving politics out of it, this is a great way to miss the best parts of this country. I can see avoiding cities but passing on NY, CA, OR, WA, and CO isn't even a consideration for me and the people you meet in the good parts tend to be a lot more chill no matter which side they're on.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I see overland styled rigs all the time but haven’t noticed any badges yet but kinda new to this. Will be looking for them for sure.
Justin, you’re surrounded by OB members, just like you are surrounded by Harmonds, Atwood’s , and Swifts.

Reactions: Justinwrains

Surffishingbum

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Newtown, PA, USA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Wabals
Member #

Leaving politics out of it, this is a great way to miss the best parts of this country. I can see avoiding cities but passing on NY, CA, OR, WA, and CO isn't even a consideration for me and the people you meet in the good parts tend to be a lot more chill no matter which side they're on.
I agree that I am missing some of the best parts of the country and have been to most of them, the people were great the states were beautiful and I enjoyed visiting them.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I think some States have had travel restrictions since early on, CA being one I think, not sure who enforces it. Said.....

I travel to a couple States and never had issues.

Jim

Thank you all for keeping politics and name calling out of this.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
I try

Just tossing this out there, but when I travel (or just drive down the road) nobody knows what my political affiliation or views are. Why? It's none of their business. As a result it makes it very easy and drama-free to travel to and through areas that may not share the same political views that I do. Nobody asks who I voted for. Nobody makes me feel unwelcome. If you're imposing those travel limitations onto yourself then you're missing out. If you feel like you get targeted personally when you travel to certain areas then maybe figure out why that may be. Yes, people are in control of their own emotions and reactions, but at the same time if it has to do with politics and you're displaying political elements on your vehicle then you make yourself a target. That's just the landscape we're in these days.

Politics doesn't belong here (OB forums or in overlanding in general unless it's directly related to overlanding) or as part of normal, daily interactions. Vote for whoever you like, but people don't need to announce it to the world and then wonder why drama follows them around.

Surffishingbum

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Newtown, PA, USA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Wabals
Member #

Just tossing this out there, but when I travel (or just drive down the road) nobody knows what my political affiliation or views are. Why? It's none of their business. As a result it makes it very easy and drama-free to travel to and through areas that may not share the same political views that I do. Nobody asks who I voted for. Nobody makes me feel unwelcome. If you're imposing those travel limitations onto yourself then you're missing out. If you feel like you get targeted personally when you travel to certain areas then maybe figure out why that may be. Yes, people are in control of their own emotions and reactions, but at the same time if it has to do with politics and you're displaying political elements on your vehicle then you make yourself a target. That's just the landscape we're in these days.

Politics doesn't belong here (OB forums or in overlanding in general unless it's directly related to overlanding) or as part of normal, daily interactions. Vote for whoever you like, but people don't need to announce it to the world and then wonder why drama follows them around.

I choose to not visit states that don't like certain people that is my choice, I have visited all of them they were great for the most part. I have been to two places in this world where I didn't feel welcomed, one was in Quebec Canada where I came out of a mall there and found four wads of gum stuck to my car. Why because I was an American, that is what I was told by someone who saw it happened, the second place was California where someone had something to say about the flag with Solilder boots on my Jeep, screw them if that's how they feel. I came to this country from Scotland and I am proud to be a legal citizen of this country and I am proud to support the troops, apparently, that is no longer something people should do in this country, judging by the comments of the three a-hole in California. Am I condemning a whole state for the actions of those people, yes, maybe I shouldn't but it is hard to forget that this happened in America. So NO, I don't have to look at myself and see if there is something I need to change, maybe the people who have a problem with the flag and the soldiers that died for this country should be the ones to take a long hard look at their actions. This is not political this my experience and how I feel, and that is my right.

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
I travel a lot for work in all states and never had any issues with people. Then again I'm 6'4 270 lbs

• Haha
Reactions: ptgarcia

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
During the height of the lockdown I saw new yorkers scattering like scared little plague rats in all directions in every state bordering them. By far the most popular out of state plate in Ohio by a factor of at least 50:1.

Despicable selfish behavior. I'm on the fence how I feel about it, because don't people have a right to flee? I haven't had any issues crossing state lines at work. As far as overlanding......I'm avoiding blue states where Covid is the worst, and that's where people are the most jumpy about it.

So far no issues. But people with health conditions and asthma are getting hammered for not wearing a mask everywhere. The mask stuff is getting a bit old. How long are you guys going to do this?

Last edited:
Reactions: Anak

Surffishingbum

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Newtown, PA, USA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Wabals
Member #

During the height of the lockdown I saw new yorkers scattering like scared little plague rats in all directions in every state bordering them. By far the most popular out of state plate in Ohio by a factor of at least 50:1.

Despicable selfish behavior. I'm on the fence how I feel about it, because don't people have a right to flee? I haven't had any issues crossing state lines at work. As far as overlanding......I'm avoiding blue states where Covid is the worst, and people are the most jumpy about it.

The mask stuff is getting a bit old. How long are you guys going to do this?

My buddy lives in a NJ Shore town and had families coming from New York to live there, I had two neighbors bring their families in from NY and North NJ at the height of it. I was not happy about it, they did not even quarantine themselves when they came down, I live in a culdesac and we are all in close proximity.

Reactions: MidOH