Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
This might be real good practice to see how people react to a plague, or communist takeover, if your kit doubles as bug out gear.

I have a friend from the Czech republic (or whatever it's called now) that DIDN'T escape that. Cool stories (to us).

Reactions: Sparksalot

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
This might be real good practice to see how people react to a plague, or communist takeover, if your kit doubles as bug out gear.

I have a friend from the Czech republic (or whatever it's called now) that DIDN'T escape that. Cool stories (to us).
Funny ... When I build my trucks I always have interjected into my designs for using them as a bug-out vehicle too

Reactions: MidOH

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
I choose to not visit states that don't like certain people that is my choice, I have visited all of them they were great for the most part. I have been to two places in this world where I didn't feel welcomed, one was in Quebec Canada where I came out of a mall there and found four wads of gum stuck to my car. Why because I was an American, that is what I was told by someone who saw it happened, the second place was California where someone had something to say about the flag with Solilder boots on my Jeep, screw them if that's how they feel. I came to this country from Scotland and I am proud to be a legal citizen of this country and I am proud to support the troops, apparently, that is no longer something people should do in this country, judging by the comments of the three a-hole in California. Am I condemning a whole state for the actions of those people, yes, maybe I shouldn't but it is hard to forget that this happened in America. So NO, I don't have to look at myself and see if there is something I need to change, maybe the people who have a problem with the flag and the soldiers that died for this country should be the ones to take a long hard look at their actions. This is not political this my experience and how I feel, and that is my right.
Never said it wasn't your right to do any of those things or said you need to change anything, simply said to consider other perspectives that might shed some light onto how you might be perceived, either correctly or incorrectly, by others. Your first post started off on the wrong foot with the hyperbolic statement that you avoid states where "50% of the population isn't welcome." You know full well that is hyperbole because not even California voted 100% for a single candidate. By your own statements you shouldn't even be in PA anymore. And it is political, you made it about politics in your first post. It came across as 100% political and that you're letting how the majority of people voted in certain states skew your opinion/view of entire states. I'm sorry you've had a couple of negative experiences. If I let every negative experience control entire aspects of my life then I wouldn't go anywhere or buy anything because life simply sucks sometimes, nobody/nothing is perfect.

That's your right and I'm not trying to change your mind, I'm just trying to provide some perspective to think about. California is nutso, I was born and raised there and spent around 30 years living there, in the Bay Area as well as SoCal, and we had to get out because I couldn't take the political nonsense anymore combined with the dumb cost of living. There are people in every state that won't share your ideals and opinions, I just think it's short-sighted to condemn entire states just because of a handful of people. I know you get that. And if those states have nothing of value for you with the people removed from the picture then fine, but it would be a shame to let a few people cause you to miss out on places and experiences.

Life is short, pick your battles and don't make it more difficult than it has to be. Take care!

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Reactions: FishinCrzy

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Everything's political. How could travel restrictions controlled by morons, not be political?

He's right though. The only thing worth seeing in Cali is the bottom of the kelp forests off the coast. People there are the absolutely lowest common denominators of reason. Can't help but wonder if it's bad air, bad water, or brain washing on TV. Until the good people start spearing and eating the bad........heck yeah we can throw the whole lot of them under the bus. lol.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

So per my post above, if you enter a state, say New Mexico, and head straight for a National Forest, is that considered quarantining? Or do you have to sit inside a hotel for 14 days? Since I’ve seen people hiking alone with masks, I’m thinking the latter.

Reactions: 9Mike2

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
For those overlanding from state to state and following the quarantine regulations (does overlanding satisfy quarantine requirements by default?), this is helpful:

Thanks! So Looking at New Mexico, coming from ANY state except Hawaii (direct flight?) you are supposed to quarantine for two weeks and not even go to the grocery store? If you are from N.M. you are OK. unless you go and come from another state. Looks like if we could all go to N.M. and cornteen we will be safe! Rules are great:astonished: but I don't see how they can enforce it. How do they even get supplies shipped in? Oh, it all comes from Hawaii! Just don't make no cents to me. Sounds like the lawyers would have a field day. Not hearing anything on the news about things being enforced. Strange times.

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
So per my post above, if you enter a state, say New Mexico, and head straight for a National Forest, is that considered quarantining? Or do you have to sit inside a hotel for 14 days? Since I’ve seen people hiking alone with masks, I’m thinking the latter.
You see people hiking alone wearing a mask . Wow

Reactions: mep1811

Surffishingbum

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Newtown, PA, USA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Wabals
Member #

Everything's political. How could travel restrictions controlled by morons, not be political?

He's right though. The only thing worth seeing in Cali is the bottom of the kelp forests off the coast. People there are the absolutely lowest common denominators of reason. Can't help but wonder if it's bad air, bad water, or brain washing on TV. Until the good people start spearing and eating the bad........heck yeah we can throw the whole lot of them under the bus. lol.

I always wanted to dive the kelp beds

Reactions: 9Mike2

kwill

Rank II

Enthusiast III

TX
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Williams
When I last tried to visit New Mexico they had chains blocking entrance to the National Parks. I had made a reservation online and they took my money but "couldn't" refund it or even respond to an email "due to COVID19."

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

facebook shaming, locals in towns you think you want to visit shunning, gas stations telling you to F....off.
You have to be a special case to draw the law but you just need an out of state license to get lynched.
This was 20 miles from where I live.

They are locals but they had an out of province license.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

If you're camping and sticking to camping, hiking, fishing, etc where there are no other people around then you shouldn't be considered to be violating self-quarantine requirements.
The issue for many, especially first responders, is if in your travels, you have an accident, or health issue, you are stressing the hospital and health system and the first responders who must attend. If you avoid non essential travel...... you might not have that accident, you might not add to the stress of administering not just health care but also all the COVID related protocols first responders are required to provide.

I guess most people who see out of state plates just jump to the conclusion "what a selfish, ignorant, entitled idiot" and they do crazy things like give you the finger or key your car or say f----off when you stop for gas. The world is different today, you may not understand that but, the world is different today.

I read a report from MOAB first responders last May, they were saying just watching an out of state Jeep towing a trailer or with an RTT on the roof drive by caused them duress. A bit of empathy might go a long way to understand....... AVOID NON ESSENTIAL TRAVEL..... PLAY IN YOUR OWN BACKYARD....

oh and pandemics are not political.

Last edited:
Reactions: Road

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
The issue for many, especially first responders, is if in your travels, you have an accident, or health issue, you are stressing the hospital and health system and the first responders who must attend. If you avoid non essential travel...... you might not have that accident, you might not add to the stress of administering not just health care but also all the COVID related protocols first responders are required to provide.

....... AVOID NON ESSENTIAL TRAVEL..... PLAY IN YOUR OWN BACKYARD....
Playing devil's advocate for a moment, and assuming by backyard you mean your own area and not a literal backyard, if you have an accident or health issue how is it any different if it's your local healthcare/hospital or one somewhere else? It's not.

The purpose of avoiding non-essential travel is to slow the spread of covid. This is direct from the CDC. Nothing to do with stressing the healthcare system if you were to have an accident which can happen anywhere, even in your own backyard (literal backyard). I'm not going to suggest that people stop traveling for outdoor, socially-distanced and responsible activities. For many of us, that escape (and the anticipation leading up to it) are the only things keeping us sane. For many of us, it is essential. I'm sorry that first responders are stressed out by out of state plates, but that is the job they signed up for.

Travel responsibly. Mental health is critical during these times and what someone may think of as non-essential someone else may see as essential. That is not an excuse to be flippant or irresponsible, of course.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

No one is really enforcing no traveling. We have gone out on a few outtings and had no problems. We have people in the company that travel everyday with no issues. We arent on social media screamin hey look at me were camping or at locations either.

kwill

Rank II

Enthusiast III

TX
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Williams
oh and pandemics are not political.
A virus may not be political but the "pandemic" is certainly politicized in order to micro-manage citizens behavior. Calling it a Wuhan virus is "wrong" but what does MERS stand for? And with a new president we now "know" it didn't originate in China. What are the baseline numbers? How many people recover? What happened to seasonal flu? Cuomo wins an Emmy?! for brave leadership while lying about the number of people he shipped around and got killed. Everything about this "pandemic" is political.