Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

The purpose of the non essential travel order is to reduce over loading our health care system and hospital beds. Slowing the spread is definitely a result, but not the goal.

If you stay at home you will likely not have an accident nor get the virus. Quite right if you exit the house, you create a risk, the play in your own backyard..... or the 100 mile rule.... gives the option of fresh air, recreation, mental health too responsibly.

Those having zero empathy with the rest of my post, have at 'er, travel the country, just don't expect a warm welcome everywhere you travel.
Finally! Someone on the other side of things with some intelligence to make a clear concise post. Your thoughts and opinions are valued.

Billiebob, I completely respect what you’re saying and follow your logic. This really only applies if it were true that everyone who got the Rona ended up in the hospital. As we know, this is not the case. I believe the 1 in 6 numbers or 20% numbers are false. I’ve read that 1 in 6 will have severe symptoms and also 20% have severe symptoms. I’ve known one person who has died with it, this person had a poor lifestyle and it was their right to choose that. I’m counting 11 people that I know personally, including myself, who have had it and showed symptoms of loss of taste and smell and received the little paper saying they’re part of the club. None have had to go to the hospital, I was close, I just told my wife I’m not going.

What I’m trying to get at is, someone from a different state shouldn’t be discriminating against me for choosing to leave my home. It’s my choice to leave and their choice to stay locked up away from society if they don’t want to risk it. Yes, it can be bad and if you have underlying issues, perhaps scary to know what awaits you if you contract it. That’s what friends and family are for. If I had a friend or family member who had issues, I’d welcome the idea of helping them. 95% of the population will be fine though so what’s the big deal?

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
In my opinion, based on what I saw, the travel restrictions were due to people not staying home during the initial shut down. Small sleepy towns that were adhering to the shut down were over run. Reports of people showing up from other states refusing to wear masks and acting like its their right to (possably) expose you.
The motor home, travel trailer, tow rig, off-road vehicle, camping gear.....sales went off the charts. A couple of months down the road and the camping around here was way fuller than a Thanksgiving holiday. I've seen pictures of little cool getaways packed with people. One comes to mind is a rope bridge. You drive (somewhere far) park in a little spot, hike to this and take pictures of the view. The article I saw showed the parking area so packed, people were parking along the road. The number of people on the bridge was horrifying. These things seemed to be common.

Last edited:

Surffishingbum

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Newtown, PA, USA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Wabals
Member #

The purpose of the non essential travel order is to reduce over loading our health care system and hospital beds. Slowing the spread is definitely a result, but not the goal.

If you stay at home you will likely not have an accident nor get the virus. Quite right if you exit the house, you create a risk, the play in your own backyard..... or the 100 mile rule.... gives the option of fresh air, recreation, mental health too responsibly.

Those having zero empathy with the rest of my post, have at 'er, travel the country, just don't expect a warm welcome everywhere you travel.

I have two friends that just got over Covy, they have been home for a year, they don't go out, so how did they get it? I guess staying home doesn't matter now, you can still get it. Maybe they got it from a package delivered, or maybe they got it from the people who deliver their groceries, it really doesn't matter, what matters is they got it and they got better and your theory about staying home you won't get the virus doesn't hold water anymore.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
travel restrictions or not, people are still going to be moving around from place to place and interacting with each other.
the thing to remember is that if you travel and you do encounter those folk who view you as a "danger" for not wearing a mask, not wearing 2 masks or just simply being the wrong type of person with the wrong license plate on your vehicle...trying to quote truth and fact to them will only piss them off more. i really want to stress the point that those folk work completely off of emotion and countering their emotions with facts and logic will make them feel invalidated and thus they will lash out in violence.
so, if you get approached by someone who is upset that you are violating a covid restriction and they are foaming at the mouth that you are uncaring and "killing their grandmother"...instead of trying to quote actual numbers and stats to them, simply reply that if their grandmother was a better person, there wouldn't be so many people trying to kill her and then calmly walk away.
by the time they process that and reflect back on some of granny's life choices...you'll be back in your vehicle and long gone :grinning:

"...the only restrictions we face, are the one's we impose on ourselves"

--- grubworm 2021​

Last edited:

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
i really want to stress the point that those folk work completely off of emotion and countering their emotions with facts and logic will make them feel invalidated and thus they will lash out in violence.
Now wait. My political science professor said that was OK.
"If someone doesn't agree with your way of thinking, your allowed to use violence".

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Bad sheeple that I am, I spent the holiday weekend not cooped up at home. Did over 1,900 miles across 4 states so I could camp where it is sunny and warm. I did not encounter any travel restrictions to speak of.

My experience was that as long as I was traveling the 2 lane highways everything was fine. Gas stations open with bathrooms open. Eating establishments open for folks to come inside and eat if they like.

The one city I set foot in was Las Vegas. That was a mistake. Signs on the gas stations to tell you that there are no public restrooms. Food could not be eaten inside. Folks all over the place wearing masks and face shields over their masks. So I made a point of fueling up before Las Vegas and skipping that city entirely on the return trip. I think the problem is too many highway lanes.

And if anyone has a problem with the fact that I took such a trip, unless you have the ability to replace the lost years with my children you can rant all you like, it means nothing to me. These seasons are irreplaceable and I will not allow anyone else to take away my life (because yes, that is what it is to me) for the sake of their own comfort. And that is not political in any way, shape or form. That is a human right which supersedes any religious or political structure which anyone could dream of imposing.

Varmints doing what Varmints should be doing at this age:

PresWknd2021OPT49.jpg

(Not my rig)

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
Bad sheeple that I am, I spent the holiday weekend not cooped up at home. Did over 1,900 miles across 4 states so I could camp where it is sunny and warm. I did not encounter any travel restrictions to speak of.

My experience was that as long as I was traveling the 2 lane highways everything was fine. Gas stations open with bathrooms open. Eating establishments open for folks to come inside and eat if they like.

The one city I set foot in was Las Vegas. That was a mistake. Signs on the gas stations to tell you that there are no public restrooms. Food could not be eaten inside. Folks all over the place wearing masks and face shields over their masks. So I made a point of fueling up before Las Vegas and skipping that city entirely on the return trip. I think the problem is too many highway lanes.

And if anyone has a problem with the fact that I took such a trip, unless you have the ability to replace the lost years with my children you can rant all you like, it means nothing to me. These seasons are irreplaceable and I will not allow anyone else to take away my life (because yes, that is what it is to me) for the sake of their own comfort. And that is not political in any way, shape or form. That is a human right which supersedes any religious or political structure which anyone could dream of imposing.

Very well said. We just drove 150 miles to see our first grandchild and no one is going to mess with Nono time!

Reactions: wishihada4runner

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I recognize that desert. Sounds like you had a good time.
My mother and sister live in Vegas. It wasn't that bad until their governor got sick at our governors party. He really clamped down hard after that.

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
Everything's political. How could travel restrictions controlled by morons, not be political?

He's right though. The only thing worth seeing in Cali is the bottom of the kelp forests off the coast. People there are the absolutely lowest common denominators of reason. Can't help but wonder if it's bad air, bad water, or brain washing on TV. Until the good people start spearing and eating the bad........heck yeah we can throw the whole lot of them under the bus. lol.

I haven't done that since the 70s, use to dive off of Catalina in Jr Lifeguards.

Last edited:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Who decides what's essential?

And for how long?
exactly !!!!!
I hate to say it but we have opened the door to brown shirts and we have plenty of officers with authority to act on those tips.
Yes, a massive gathering like a rock concert is stupid.... but 6 widowed seniors gathering for coffee, or a family of 10 having dinner.... IS ESSENTIAL.
Especially if the freaking international transmitting incubators called airports are open for business.
If a senior cannot hold her husbands hand in the hospital, why are we pretending to be alive.

sorry for veering off course, MidOH got me going
please feel free to delete

But it knows not left nor right. both sides are equally at fault when they have unfettered power.
And when power changes hands, the hardest part is understanding what was inherited from the previous ruling party.

Last edited:
Reactions: MidOH

Surffishingbum

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Newtown, PA, USA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Wabals
Member #

View attachment 187743

(Not my rig)
You are lucky to find a place near you that is warm, I don't think I have anyplace warm within 2000 miles of me. I also believe life is too short to lose years with the ones you love, you can't get that time back and you never know what day will be your last. I am at the point now where I am done with all this bullsh*t, you now have flip flop Fucchi saying this could go on until the end of 2022, that would make 3 years that our Government has limited our freedoms or completely taking them away depending on the state you live in. I was willing to give up a few months to get control of this, but it now looks like our government officials are clueless and have no answers.

Last edited:

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I haven't had any trouble traveling this week, inside the US. Had to get nose swabbed for a medical facility again. That actually hurt a little. Yay, I'm still clean and immune.

Retirement homes let me walk right in, but people still aren't allowed to visit their dying elders. Heart breaking.

I'm not going anywhere 'till after March 1st. My F250 with a locker can barely get out of the driveway. I'm dragging both axles and the fuel tank through the snow.
Not worth risking moving it and getting stuck at the end of my drive.

My Ram diesel is being parked in the street. Have a slow blower being delivered on the 1st ($1200 unexpected expense, yuck). No way I'm digging myself out by hand. The Ram made it within 15' of the road then got stuck. I was able to rock it back and forth, but once it slid off of my invisible driveway into the grass, it was game over. $160 for a wrecker to winch me out. ($10 per foot, not bad)

I have next week off to burn some PTO that was supposed to be vacation some place warm and half naked. I'll spend it shoveling 20' of pavement to see if I can get my Ram off of the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: smlobx