Trail Communication

• HTML tutorial
Hello,

When your on the trail how do you communicate with each other? Do you use radios (I.e. CB, HAM, Other) or hand signals, vehicle signals, or another form?

Do different groups have different methods?

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
There's a lot of threads that deal with this, check out the Overland Communication forum where most of them are.

Reactions: 1Louder

NightCrawler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
I just installed a CB I picked up from eBay and threw on a Wilson 1000 antenna...it reaches 10 miles easily once I tuned it. I can't see getting into HAM...incensing and expensive equipment...for comms between rigs less than a mile apart at times. I enjoy CB (crispy bacon) over HAM! I swear I need to make a T-shirt with this on it. :laughing:

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

I just installed a CB I picked up from eBay and threw on a Wilson 1000 antenna...it reaches 10 miles easily once I tuned it. I can't see getting into HAM...incensing and expensive equipment...for comms between rigs less than a mile apart at times. I enjoy CB (crispy bacon) over HAM! I swear I need to make a T-shirt with this on it. :laughing:
I want one...

Reactions: NightCrawler

NightCrawler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
Most common works for me...the odds of making contact on CB bands as a secondary communication mode in an emergency is what I am hoping to cover.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Most common works for me...the odds of making contact on CB bands as a secondary communication mode in an emergency is what I am hoping to cover.
Only if someone is within a couple miles or so of your location. CB is ok for trail comms but I wouldn't depend on it for an emergency.

Curt

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

California San Joaquin Valley
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Itson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6ZVY
I bought a globalstar sat phone 10 years ago when they sucked. Now it works great with the new satellites in orbit. Because I stuck with them from the start, I have an unlimited plan for $60.00 a month that you can't purchase anymore. I got it mostly for emergencies but it's great for checking in and it works thru my soft top

Reactions: TerryD and Chadlyb

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
CB until the last few years. The people I hang around now, are all either tech or general ticket holders. I'm not in that circle yet. The CB is a mini Uniden, with a bed mount Wilson 5000 spring mounted disconnect. It works fairly well, for what it is. Mileage varies of course.
Was gifted a small Baofang? ..handheld...the type they prefer. Works very well in mountainous terrain, seeing that they have over the last 10 years to installed 2 repeaters within 20 miles of their property. Local phone service is provided by GMRS open party line radio. Wilson phone boosters also make out of area cell service possible. That beat driving 5 miles to a mountain cliff overlook and hoping for a signal to reach the outside world. Once i get my license everything will be golden.

Last edited:

4L_Warrior

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

East Bay Ca.
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Galvan
Member #

Desert Runner!.... Yes, get your ham license. It will make you wonder why you waited so long to get it. On a side note, I totally agree with you about the Wilson phone booster! Now, they are branded We-boost. I've learned that the older models are the ones you want to look for. They have "more power".... the newer ones are dumbed down at the request of the FCC. They won't give you a stronger signal if their isn't a signal, but they will double the signal you do get.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Desert Runner!.... Yes, get your ham license. It will make you wonder why you waited so long to get it. On a side note, I totally agree with you about the Wilson phone booster! Now, they are branded We-boost. I've learned that the older models are the ones you want to look for. They have "more power".... the newer ones are dumbed down at the request of the FCC. They won't give you a stronger signal if their isn't a signal, but they will double the signal you do get.
I did not realize that about We-Boost dumbing down their power out-put after buying Wilson. Getting more DB from your booster, is why you bought the booster in the first place. Why spend money if your not seeing much of any benefit.