Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Currently running stock sized Yokohama Geolandar AT/S. Great tire for the most part, but I would like a more aggressive all terrain for my next set. I have only had one puncture and it was a nail. Super slow leak over night but held air if I was driving. Not sure how many tires would handle a good sized nail. I have used these tires on trucks before on the farm and they have held up for a long time. They wear very well as my set has been on for 2.5 years and somewhere around 25k miles or better. Plenty of hwy miles, but also a bit of the flint rock gravel we have around here which is notorious for destroying tires. Next set is looking to be BFG KO2's for the more aggressive tread pattern, 10ply case and 3ply sidewalls, as well as their good track record.

family-overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Konstanz, Germany
First Name
phil
Last Name
mädler
Member #

Yokohama Geolandar AT. I don't need MTs so i just looked for all Season tires with a reasonably price and good winter /snow-driving ability. I had some Hankook Dynapro AT before, but they really suck in snowy conditions. I was always looking for BFG KO2s but sales price germany is ridiculous.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
BFG KOs. period. I tried KMs for a couple of sets but the KOs are more than enough for the places we go. Just enough for rock gardens, mud, dusty trails, snow light flooding, etc etc. The KMs were just a little too aggressive for our needs, and really didn't make all that much difference in off road situations. Let it be known that after more than two and a half decades, over half a million miles and several sets of BFGs I have never once had a flat. I've been tempted a couple of times to change up, but why mess with a good thing. If it doesn't break then why fix it?

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

Am running a set of cheap 215/65r16 (27" stock size) Sailun winter tires while I'm saving up for a set of good quality stock size tires

What I want is tires that will last a few years as I drive a fair bit each year.

Do I really need KO2's? NO! Not sure I want to justify spending a silly amount of cash on tires that will see highway driving 99,99% of the time.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Easy Math for Tire Users.
set of 4 BFG KOs 285s 1,000 mounted & balanced. my last set was 985 and change.
60,000 miles, easy -- equals o.018 per mile. that's roughly less than 2 cents per mile.
I change tires every 50,000 miles and put the very good used ones on CL and easily bring 500 for the set.
That decreses the .018 to .009, less than a penny per mile.
in conclusion; if you want to buy a set of tires for 600 and they last only 35,000 miles until they are worthless and ya gotta give the tire guy 5 bucks a piece to dispose of them, how much money are you spending per mile on tires? just throwin it out there. peace-out

Reactions: Boort

Homeguy

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Calgary, AB
I have Nitto RidgeGrapplers on my Jeep. Very happy with them. Snow, ice, rain, mud and rocks. I’ve put them through everything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
well yea, when you have that kind of user specific vehicle the cost per mile is irrelevant. I'm averaging 10,ooo miles a year just in "overlanding tours" and another 7 0r 8 thousand a year of daily driving. If thats the kind of driving one does figuring cost per mile on everything can save you a ton of money over a couple of decades. My point was to show that expensive multi purpose all terrain tires are actually less expensive to run, over the long term, then not so expensive alternatives. It's all just a part of answering the OP's original question. Oh, BTW, that Is a nice build on your Xterra.

58-fc170

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

General grabber at2's. A great tire for winter, trails and highway. Plus considerably cheaper than BFG A/T. In addition they last forever, I am at almost 40,000 on mine and still have tons of tread depth.

RedSheep

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member I

Harpersfield, NY
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Oakley
Member #

Moak, It's all good.. OP asked about "on the trail" so I was just giving an alternate view point. as you said that rig was built to be a play toy and cost wasn't ever really a factor in anything I did with it ... hell it's first set of tiers, put on with only 4K on the odo, where a set of swamper SSR's, drove those things everywhere (got 46K out of them before hitting the ware bars) even across the county to Colorado and Utah, no way I would try that with what's on there now .lol...

Reactions: MOAK

DaveT

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Member #

I considered KO2s for my Subaru. They're pretty much the standard for lifted Subies. My car sees more highway miles than dirt miles plus i didn't want to have to replace the wheels on a brand new car so I went with a set of Yokohama Geolandar G015 AT/S tire. They're winter rated all terrain tires and not mud tires but I love love love them. Smoother and less noisy on the highway than the OE tires and seems to stick to everything like glue. Haven't been tested in anything extreme yet. I'd say for true off roading maybe not the best...especially on an 18 inch wheel but as an on road/off road trail tire, I can't imagine a better compromise of tire.

That said, when I get around to putting a big lift kit on it, my next set will be KO2s.

uss

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Odessa TX
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Ockert
Member #

On our Jeep, we are running the 35" BFG KM2's. They are great in the sand, rocks. A little loud on the road though. Not really great on the ice. Once aired down, they do really well in the snow.

We just put the BFG KO2's on my wife's Chevy 1500. So far, they are great. Not had them off-road yet or in the snow/ice.
I did get to test these tires in Baja a couple of years ago.
They did great and not a single tire failure on the 15 Baja Class race cars that we had these on.

@Del Albright has the KO2's on his Jeep, and from talking to him, he really likes them.

Todd

Last edited:

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I just went up to LT285/75/16 Cooper Discoverer AT3s on my Xterra and so far I'm very happy with them.

They are quiet on the highway and have good traction in snow, rain, mud and rocks. I had them aired down to 25psi this weekend and they worked really well in the rocks, flexing around rocks to climb and holding some side loading.

CalTexMex

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fremont, Ca
Member #

E8D80104-37E4-4715-A931-098F8041127D.png I’m running Achilles desert hawk x mt’s on my 82 4x4. Good reviews and were fairly inexpensive. Just need to get them dirty now.

Reactions: TerryD

uss

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Odessa TX
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Ockert
Member #

I edited my post, as we have the KO2's on my wifes truck, and Del has them on his Jeep also.

Great tires.

Todd

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I'm running mtrs and if they wouldn't of came on the rig I would have never considered them but even down to 40% tread they are still running true and smooth , not to loud and aired down to 12 psi will still pull the tahoe through 3 feet of snow very well . that being said my next tires will be AT .being my daily driver I drive to many street miles to justify MT tires so next set will probably be falken wildpeak atw3 , I have two friends that run them and I really do honestly think it's one of the best winter tires I've seen.

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

I have Nitto RidgeGrapplers on my Jeep. Very happy with them. Snow, ice, rain, mud and rocks. I’ve put them through everything
This is what I'm running as well and love them. SUPER quiet even after some mileage and great in all conditions. And I've had a lot of different brands.