Burlington, NJ
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WQYY816
FWI- I went riding parts of the trail last weekend and it looks like they closed down the section that went through Batsto village and beyond. It stops at the end of Goodwater as it enters into the back of the village at the small parking lot. It picks up on the opposite end on Washington turnpike but then when the pavement ends you get another sign like below. I took “Old Greenbank Mill-Washington Rd which then brought me back to the trail. By that point it’s mostly paved road again.
This photo below was taken by the fire tower, the road is only open for half a mile or so until it is closed off again as mentioned above.

View attachment 133836
Are you stating that that sign means that the road is closed?

Xplorr313

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlington, NJ
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WQYY816
If that’s the case, then you are mistakenly wrong about what that sign means. I can give you more info if you would like.

Reactions: Dusther210

Redbear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bayville, NJ
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Murdoch
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2TQO GMRS: WREQ743
If that’s the case, then you are mistakenly wrong about what that sign means. I can give you more info if you would like.
Yes, I did think it was closed to the public. I would like the info on the statutes listed if you have it.

Xplorr313

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlington, NJ
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WQYY816
Yes, I did think it was closed to the public. I would like the info on the statutes listed if you have it.
The sign means that the area you are entering is patrolled by park police and rangers and you must abide by the NJ codes listed on the sign. Those codes, which in simple terms, mean the following: Vehicles entering the forest should comply with all DOT regulations. No ORV/OHV vehicles (ATVs, SXSs, dirtbikes, and any vehicle which is not DOT compliant). No off-roading, meaning that you must stay on all roads, no cutting through the forest or trailblazing. If you are caught doing any of these things, you can receive a fine of $250+. I have seen and heard of people receiving tickets as high as $1000 and they have their vehicle impounded on the spot. The codes, if you look them up, go into a little more detail than I just stated but those are the simple meanings.

The signs are there to help crack down on all the illegal ORV/OHV activity that goes on in the forest. I love that they put the signs up because much like it did to you, it scares people away and makes them think the forest roads are closed. It keeps knuckleheads out of the forest who’s only intent is to act carelessly and destroy the forest property.

Redbear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bayville, NJ
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Murdoch
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thank you for the clarification!

I apologize for any misinformation I may have provided. Is there a way to put a note into the GPX file so people know it’s a legal road?

Reactions: Dusther210

Xplorr313

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlington, NJ
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WQYY816
Thank you for the clarification!

I apologize for any misinformation I may have provided. Is there a way to put a note into the GPX file so people know it’s a legal road?
No problem! Which GPX? If it’s the trail ride for the 25th, no need for it since everyone will be following me. If it’s the TNJT GPX, I could put it in that but again, there’s kinda no need for it. The TNJT is 100% legal roads. If there ever was trail closures, I would be on top of it in a heart beat and change the route to reflect the closures.

When I created the Jeep/Truck version of the TNJT, it was during the trail closure debacle back in 2015. The DEP, PPA, and EPA shut down a bout half the trails within Wharton and surrounding parts of the Pine Barrens. I had to reroute the trail to make sure it followed their “approved” trails. I never changed it since 2015 cause if the closures ever did happen in the future, the trail should still be ok. This is one reason the TNJT is as easy as it is in the Pine Barrens. All of the trails are larger (width), heavily traveled roads that they would never shut down and they would keep maintained. There are many trails in the pines that are tight and riddled with tons of deep holes, these are the trails they wanted to shut down back in 2015. Some of them they succeeded in shutting down. Especially my all time favorite trail that loops you through one of the only hill climbs in the Wharton tract of the Pine Barrens.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Is anyone interested in a meet and greet for mid to late January? I'm thinking about finding a Brewery in Central NJ, Upper Freehold Area so North Jersey, NY, PA, and South Jersey members can attend. Currently looking at Screamin Hill Brewery. I'll recon it in the next couple of weeks.

Any interest?
If so give me some feedback on mid or late Jan,
Sat or Sun,
You ever get anywhere w/ this?

Xplorr313

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlington, NJ
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WQYY816
Hey guys, so I did some thinking today while at work...usually that could be good and bad haha...and I was wondering if another run in March would spark some interest? This time I was thinking about having us end our run in Tuckerton, NJ at Pinelands Brewing Co.; what are your thoughts?

Redbear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bayville, NJ
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Murdoch
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Hey guys, so I did some thinking today while at work...usually that could be good and bad haha...and I was wondering if another run in March would spark some interest? This time I was thinking about having us end our run in Tuckerton, NJ at Pinelands Brewing Co.; what are your thoughts?
If it’s anything like last time, I’m down!
Can I be tail-radio guy again?

I don’t know if I could convince my GF but I would be down with ending at a group campground for a night. March weather is very unpredictable though.