First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Gomba
Member #

Not quite:

P2 XC70 = 8.2”
V90CC = 8.4”

P2 + Bad Swede is quite an improvement over either generation’s stock ground clearance
As I said before, the P2 w/the 2" lift from the Bad Swede will roughly matche that of the clearance on the new V90 Cross Country depending on the wheel size selected on the V90 which goes up to 22" on stock rims. Either way, the P2 will never be a hard core 4-wheeler even with the Bad Swede lift which I have on my P2. So the 2" inch difference between an 8.2" and 8.4" clearance rating doesn't really make a difference. But I agree with you 100% that the lift kit is a significant improvement to the wagon's off road capabilities!

ChrisXC70

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Severna Park, Maryland
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Gomba
Member #

Mar_5.jpeg image3.jpeg IMG_0161.jpg[/ATTACH] View attachment 57797 View attachment 57797 image3.jpeg IMG_0161.jpg
So, how much did this endeavor run you?

Soo
Sorry for the delayed response but I didn't see your question until today...all in so far about $7500 plus $6500 to buy the '07 XC70 ($14K total). For me, the car is worth every penny. My wife & I just drove the XC70 back from Pennsylvania to Annapolis, MD through the torrential rain storms this past Sunday (5/27) that flooded Ellicott City, MD. I was able to maintain a steady 70 mph (no issues, no hydroplaning or unwanted drift movement) while most of the other cars on the road were pulled over to shoulder waiting the storm out. The car was solid the entire 6 hour drive. Every time I drive my XC70 it's the best experience I have ever had driving in all kind of road/environment conditions and I have a lot of professional/personal experience driving lux makes & models. That's a pretty good endorsement, uh?!

Last edited:
Reactions: dolli310

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I watch all yours post's, Great job man, you are my idol when it comes to overlanding. I started searching for my first xc70. Greetings from Poland!
Thanks man!

I should be no one’s idol though; Just a guy fighting it all out as he goes along and breaking his car a lot [emoji24][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jayke757

Rank 0

Traveler I

Just acquired my own XC70, 2004 with 90K. Literally owned by a little old lady, original owner. After inspection, my mechanic told me if I didn't buy it, he would. Have some work in the coming days to get to Stage 0 and I have already ordered the GROM unit to add bluetooth, but have a spreadsheet for trekking mods based in large part on this post. Looking forward to starting my own thread in the coming days.

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
As I said before, the P2 w/the 2" lift from the Bad Swede will roughly matche that of the clearance on the new V90 Cross Country depending on the wheel size selected on the V90 which goes up to 22" on stock rims. Either way, the P2 will never be a hard core 4-wheeler even with the Bad Swede lift which I have on my P2. So the 2" inch difference between an 8.2" and 8.4" clearance rating doesn't really make a difference. But I agree with you 100% that the lift kit is a significant improvement to the wagon's off road capabilities!
Just catching up on this thread and noticed this...

Your math is off a bit...

8.2" + 2" = 10.2". Granted, it's not as drastic as throwing a 6" lift and 40's on a Jeep, but a 2" gain in clearance under the diffs is comparable to going from a 31" tire to a 35" tire on a solid axle rig.

Hi, just signed up so I could ask you a few questions. I have really enjoyed your posts.
Did the IPD strut mounts give you a big increase in vibration? I have been messing with combinations of their engine mount, transmission mount and the strut mounts.
I am thinking of making a hybrid trans mount to soften it a little from the IPD full blown one.
I just followed your lead on some AT3 4S tires. Appreciate the photos of fit and clearance. Shame about the wheel spacer, that did look good.
Could you share the part number for the Aux lighting harness? Did that include a dashboard switch?
Also curious about those springs if you had more info you could share. Is the front camber terrible?
I have the factory dog guard in mine. It is really cool, flips up and out of the way on little struts. I also found the sunglasses holder in place of the driver side handle to be better both for holding sunglasses and for when I bang my head on it.

Thanks

Geo.

Jon Kros

Rank 0

Traveler I

Just placed an order for a set of these BFGs in 225/70r16:

one size up from my current set, and the largest tire one can run on our wagons on a 16" wheel without supporting modifications to suspension in addition to the lift, or cutting the body.

Why did I get them? Curiosity and reputation more than anything. This has been THE go-to A/T tire for years, and never having given them a spin, I figured now was the time. I wanted something a bit more aggressive than the coopers, and I also wanted a snowflake rated tire which the coopers were not. Their performance in the snow was adequate, but not spectacular. Of course dedicated snows would be ideal; but I have head these BFGs are quite competent.

I have heard some concerns about declining quality, sidewall weakness, etc and will report on that as they wear...
Hi, nice wagon. I have a 2001 V70XC P2,
Looking to get some beefier tires.
I was wondering what’s the max I can go on stock 16” rims..?
Thanx

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Hi, nice wagon. I have a 2001 V70XC P2,
Looking to get some beefier tires.
I was wondering what’s the max I can go on stock 16” rims..?
Thanx
I’m fairly certain I answered your question in the portion of my original tire post that you quoted above (???)

In any case, yeah, to my knowledge the largest tire you can fit on a stock 16” on the P2 XC70 without supporting modifications is a 225/70r16. That said, you might be better off trying a just a size up first rather than two. I did 215/70r16s before the lift which is a nice compromise.

Jon Kros

Rank 0

Traveler I

I’m fairly certain I answered your question in the portion of my original tire post that you quoted above (???)

In any case, yeah, to my knowledge the largest tire you can fit on a stock 16” on the P2 XC70 without supporting modifications is a 225/70r16. That said, you might be better off trying a just a size up first rather than two. I did 215/70r16s before the lift which is a nice compromise.
Ok thanx.

ChrisXC70

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Severna Park, Maryland
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Gomba
Member #

The following link to IPD will show you how to modify the P2 body wheel wells to fit tires larger than 225/70R16's.....https://www.ipdusa.com/blogs/286/team-ken. Also, if your P2 has DSTC (Dynamic Stability & Traction Control System) then you won't be able to install the COTS lift kits like the one from the Bad Swede....which is the skew in my lift kit math from a few months back. The Yokohama Geolanders AT 225/70R16 have been great on smooth surfaces as well as overland and under all weather types. I'll keep an eye out for updates from Jayke in VB maybe next summer we can meet up in the sands of OBX! It was around Poquoson/Langley AFB that I jumped my Silver '05 P2 off road and bent the frame.

Reactions: Robert Fullen

ChrisXC70

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Severna Park, Maryland
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Gomba
Member #

The following link to IPD will show you how to modify the P2 body wheel wells to fit tires larger than 225/70R16's.....https://www.ipdusa.com/blogs/286/team-ken. Also, if your P2 has DSTC (Dynamic Stability & Traction Control System) then you won't be able to install the COTS lift kits like the one from the Bad Swede....which is the skew in my lift kit math from a few months back. The Yokohama Geolanders AT 225/70R16 have been great on smooth surfaces as well as overland and under all weather types. I'll keep an eye out for updates from Jayke in VB maybe next summer we can meet up in the sands of OBX! It was around Poquoson/Langley AFB that I jumped my Silver '05 P2 off road and bent the frame.
DSC_2014.JPG

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI

Just curious, how does having DSTC interfere with the lift? I have an '07, which came standard with DSTC. The nice thing about that is A) it actually works quite well, and B) it allows you to turn off Spin Control, which makes it more fun for shenanigans in the snow.