The Adventure Wagon: A 2004 Volvo XC70 Overland Build

• HTML tutorial

Traveler I

Some radical action in the forest yesterday.

Boys were super excited because we stumbled on some fresh clear cuts complete with tons of stacked logs and plenty of heavy machinery laying around!

There was also this overgrown graveyard that was pretty sick.

And as always some great muddy tracks and puddles to be found to get the KO2s dirty ...

Then Hawk demanded "more trucks" so we had to oblige...

I've been running Adventure updates as Instagram Stories (24hr, disappearing diaries) most weekends, so have a look over there too if ya' does that for the complete multimedia experience with sounds and moving picture shows [emoji41]

[emoji1309][emoji1309][emoji1309]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brother, you should just load all of your images on a thumb drive for me and i'll send you some money. each and every image makes me smile and dig this rig even more. can't get enough of it. cheers for the posts!

budder

Rank 0

Traveler I

i
Hey All,

I figure the best way to introduce one's self around these parts is rig-first, so at my friend Doobie_Dave's suggestion, I've decided to just dive right in with a rapid-fire build thread to explain the project and get you all up to date.

To put it quite simply, this project was a complete accident; and I have no history of working on or modifying vehicles in any way prior to this. While I've made quite a bit of progress in a relatively short period of time, there is much more work to be done. Some of builds on here are absolutely incredible as far as their attention to detail, utility, and overall looks and my little wagon seems feeble in comparison. BUT, Part of what's exciting about this community is its diversity, and having seen several other "oddball" or "atypical" build threads--but zero volvos--I thought it would be valuable for me to share my own....

With my first son about 1.5 yrs and the birth of my 2nd child imminent, I needed to clear some room in the vehicle stable for a more "family friendly" vehicle than my beloved 1987 Toyota 4Runner. Luckily I was able to find the perfect new owner in Doobie_Dave who'd basically been quietly lusting after it since I first parked it in front of our shop.

I had acquired the Volvo from my stepfather for a song about a year prior when they upgraded, and with the runner gone, I turned my attention to it with fresh eyes. Truth be told, the humble XC70 had never quite captured my heart with its soccer mom looks and quiet, Scandinavian confidence. I took it on board at around 78k miles, and though it was super well cared for, I struggled to really find things to appreciate about it. It was certainly no 4Runner [emoji17]

But once it was my only vehicle, with the runner safe in Dave's hands, I began to look at it and wonder if it had the potential to be something more interesting. The Subaru guys were doing all sorts of wacked out awesome shit with their AWD wagons; why couldn't I do the same sort of things with the Volvo? The seed was planted and began to take root much more quickly than I expected.

Soon I was knee deep over at Swedespeed forum asking any and all questions I could and absorbing information like and eager sponge. I spent hours studying both of the IPD XC70 builds (to which I remain greatly indebted) and days thinking how I might apply similar mods to my own wagon. Within a week the ordering began [emoji16] . . .

THE MODS & ACCESSORIES

I started about as small as one can with the accessory that any and all wagons need to compete their wagon-ness: a good set of crossbars!

While the bars were still in the mail, I was furiously researching racks and settled on a yakima load warrior cargo basket. After ordering that, I realized that it would look awkwardly short on my long roof, and put in another Amazon order for the extension right away (gotta love Prime!).

It was that first late summer afternoon after installing the rack that I came out to the gravel lot and saw the humble beginnings of something stirring beneath the XC's metallic silver skin [emoji3]

The next step was a few quick and simple OEM accessory purchased for the interior: front and rear all weather mats to keep mud and grime off the carpets, and a steel and nylon rear cargo area divider to keep assorted crap from being flung onto the heads of my two little guys.

Done......and done:

The world of IPD was brand new to me, and I dived in with zeal. They remain the largest manufacturer and supplier of aftermarket volvo parts and I looked to them out of the gate for some bits and bobs to help fortify the ride further.

I first installed their aluminum strut brace conversion kit to help tighten up the front end a bit:

Then I installed their aluminum DEM protective shield.

And finally I installed their beefy aluminum skidplate to replace the factory splash guard under the oil pan...

Solid [emoji41][emoji123].

After getting those few basic utilitarian and armoring steps out of the way, it was time for a few little cosmetic modifications to assist with my goal of making the wagon a bit more aggressive in the styling department of that was even possible [emoji23]. So of course......dip to the rescue!

Started in the back:

Then the following week moved to the front ....

While I had the grill out, I ordered the little known OEM auxiliary lighting kit, and a set of black Magic Hella 500s. First time doing any electrical work on the car, and was happy I didn't explode it or set off a million fault codes. These euros can be a little particular [emoji6] with the murdered-out grill back in and the black driving lights on the front, things were starting to take shape as i desired.

thats a cool wagon i use the xc90

budder

Rank 0

Traveler I

As an overland rig? Cool! Pics plz [emoji16]

hi mate yeah is used for overland i cant show you pictures now it in the local garage having the cam belt and auxilliarys belt changed but on next monday i will have pictures of it with my trailer and bike rack ready for a 3 week trip

regards kyle

Caught up with this last night whilst researching XC70 overland potential, and the path brought me here.
Love the project, looking at something similar but based on the D5, bit more practical here in Europe. Did contemplate something based around a 940 few years back, Dana rear axle with air locker but never got organised.
Be interested in the reasoning around XC90 'axles', what/how makes them better and are they a direct swap? Will certainly be using this thread as a point of reference, if that's OK?

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Caught up with this last night whilst researching XC70 overland potential, and the path brought me here.
Love the project, looking at something similar but based on the D5, bit more practical here in Europe. Did contemplate something based around a 940 few years back, Dana rear axle with air locker but never got organised.
Be interested in the reasoning around XC90 'axles', what/how makes them better and are they a direct swap? Will certainly be using this thread as a point of reference, if that's OK?
Happy to inspire. Please feel free to take whatever you need from this thread. I'm indebted to the handful of builds who came before me myself.

As for the P2 XC90 swap, the reasoning behind it is pretty simple, though I admit that my own understanding of it is somewhat limited to what I've been told; I'm not the most technically minded and am new to working on vehicles.

What tends to fail first on the XC70--lifted or nay--is the inner passenger side CV joint. Lifting it accelerates the wear due to the Steeper working angle of the joint. On the XC70 the inner CV is a plunging tripod type. On the XC90 axle the inner CV joint is a ball type and the telescoping action is handled by a slip shaft instead. The XC90 is designed to have a slightly steeper working angle and turn larger, heavier wheel/tire combos in OEM configuration. So it stands to reason that it would be the more robust choice on a lifted XC70 with tires significantly bigger and heavier than stock.

I had heard it was a direct fit. But it is not really the case. It does WORK, but it requires a different axle bolt, and in some cases a washer may need to be furnished to fit over the shaft where it fits into the wheel hub to prevent it from fucking up the ABS sensor. I would urge caution doing this solo if you don't know your way around these cars pretty well. I had a mechanic buddy of mine confirm the swap works and supply the parts to me only to have my mechanic struggle with it. We succeeded in the end but it wasn't without some difficulty.

Look forward to seeing what you do; report back!

Reactions: IronMighty07

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I love your different take on a overland rig. Makes me feel better about my mild-built Jeep. Keep it going man!
Thanks man! I'm keeping it going til the wheels fall off! Actually, one almost did [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

About to do a bunch of maintenance items then hoping for more lift, a tire carrier, tranny cooler, and some other fun stuff this fall.

Stay tuned!

T
Happy to inspire. Please feel free to take whatever you need from this thread. I'm indebted to the handful of builds who came before me myself.

As for the P2 XC90 swap, the reasoning behind it is pretty simple, though I admit that my own understanding of it is somewhat limited to what I've been told; I'm not the most technically minded and am new to working on vehicles.

What tends to fail first on the XC70--lifted or nay--is the inner passenger side CV joint. Lifting it accelerates the wear due to the Steeper working angle of the joint. On the XC70 the inner CV is a plunging tripod type. On the XC90 axle the inner CV joint is a ball type and the telescoping action is handled by a slip shaft instead. The XC90 is designed to have a slightly steeper working angle and turn larger, heavier wheel/tire combos in OEM configuration. So it stands to reason that it would be the more robust choice on a lifted XC70 with tires significantly bigger and heavier than stock.

I had heard it was a direct fit. But it is not really the case. It does WORK, but it requires a different axle bolt, and in some cases a washer may need to be furnished to fit over the shaft where it fits into the wheel hub to prevent it from fucking up the ABS sensor. I would urge caution doing this solo if you don't know your way around these cars pretty well. I had a mechanic buddy of mine confirm the swap works and supply the parts to me only to have my mechanic struggle with it. We succeeded in the end but it wasn't without some difficulty.

Look forward to seeing what you do; report back!
Thanks for clarifying, does make sense as tripods aren't great for articulation. Was it just the shafts you swapped, did you do the diffs as well?

Kerouwhack

Rank 0

Traveler I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Kerouwhack
Firstly, great post! I was wondering if you could share what paint you used for the grill/ rear hatch emblems? Also, how did you peel the paint from the body without also peeling it off the emblems?

Thanks so much!

Hey All,

I figure the best way to introduce one's self around these parts is rig-first, so at my friend Doobie_Dave's suggestion, I've decided to just dive right in with a rapid-fire build thread to explain the project and get you all up to date.

To put it quite simply, this project was a complete accident; and I have no history of working on or modifying vehicles in any way prior to this. While I've made quite a bit of progress in a relatively short period of time, there is much more work to be done. Some of builds on here are absolutely incredible as far as their attention to detail, utility, and overall looks and my little wagon seems feeble in comparison. BUT, Part of what's exciting about this community is its diversity, and having seen several other "oddball" or "atypical" build threads--but zero volvos--I thought it would be valuable for me to share my own....

With my first son about 1.5 yrs and the birth of my 2nd child imminent, I needed to clear some room in the vehicle stable for a more "family friendly" vehicle than my beloved 1987 Toyota 4Runner. Luckily I was able to find the perfect new owner in Doobie_Dave who'd basically been quietly lusting after it since I first parked it in front of our shop.

I had acquired the Volvo from my stepfather for a song about a year prior when they upgraded, and with the runner gone, I turned my attention to it with fresh eyes. Truth be told, the humble XC70 had never quite captured my heart with its soccer mom looks and quiet, Scandinavian confidence. I took it on board at around 78k miles, and though it was super well cared for, I struggled to really find things to appreciate about it. It was certainly no 4Runner [emoji17]

But once it was my only vehicle, with the runner safe in Dave's hands, I began to look at it and wonder if it had the potential to be something more interesting. The Subaru guys were doing all sorts of wacked out awesome shit with their AWD wagons; why couldn't I do the same sort of things with the Volvo? The seed was planted and began to take root much more quickly than I expected.

Soon I was knee deep over at Swedespeed forum asking any and all questions I could and absorbing information like and eager sponge. I spent hours studying both of the IPD XC70 builds (to which I remain greatly indebted) and days thinking how I might apply similar mods to my own wagon. Within a week the ordering began [emoji16] . . .

THE MODS & ACCESSORIES

I started about as small as one can with the accessory that any and all wagons need to compete their wagon-ness: a good set of crossbars!

While the bars were still in the mail, I was furiously researching racks and settled on a yakima load warrior cargo basket. After ordering that, I realized that it would look awkwardly short on my long roof, and put in another Amazon order for the extension right away (gotta love Prime!).

It was that first late summer afternoon after installing the rack that I came out to the gravel lot and saw the humble beginnings of something stirring beneath the XC's metallic silver skin [emoji3]

The next step was a few quick and simple OEM accessory purchased for the interior: front and rear all weather mats to keep mud and grime off the carpets, and a steel and nylon rear cargo area divider to keep assorted crap from being flung onto the heads of my two little guys.

Done......and done:

The world of IPD was brand new to me, and I dived in with zeal. They remain the largest manufacturer and supplier of aftermarket volvo parts and I looked to them out of the gate for some bits and bobs to help fortify the ride further.

I first installed their aluminum strut brace conversion kit to help tighten up the front end a bit:

Then I installed their aluminum DEM protective shield.

And finally I installed their beefy aluminum skidplate to replace the factory splash guard under the oil pan...

Solid [emoji41][emoji123].

After getting those few basic utilitarian and armoring steps out of the way, it was time for a few little cosmetic modifications to assist with my goal of making the wagon a bit more aggressive in the styling department of that was even possible [emoji23]. So of course......dip to the rescue!

Started in the back:

Then the following week moved to the front ....

While I had the grill out, I ordered the little known OEM auxiliary lighting kit, and a set of black Magic Hella 500s. First time doing any electrical work on the car, and was happy I didn't explode it or set off a million fault codes. These euros can be a little particular [emoji6] with the murdered-out grill back in and the black driving lights on the front, things were starting to take shape as i desired.

Reactions: Antherzoll

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Firstly, great post! I was wondering if you could share what paint you used for the grill/ rear hatch emblems? Also, how did you peel the paint from the body without also peeling it off the emblems?

Thanks so much!
Just plain old black Plastidip. It just peels along the edges of the emblems perfectly itself assuming you apply it properly. I was skeptical too, but it works!

Vertigo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bowling Green, KY
Member #

I literally just read all 9 pages consecutively. You're stories are well written, your photography incredible, and your unique choice of making the vehicle what you want it to be utilizing creative solutions is second to none. At no point was I not engaged in this write-up. Unless someone builds a Yugo for a Overlanding Rig, I can't see how this one gets topped.

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I literally just read all 9 pages consecutively. You're stories are well written, your photography incredible, and your unique choice of making the vehicle what you want it to be utilizing creative solutions is second to none. At no point was I not engaged in this write-up. Unless someone builds a Yugo for a Overlanding Rig, I can't see how this one gets topped.
Will be asking you for permission to use this as the lead blurb when The Adventure Wagon[emoji769] book drops [emoji23][emoji1305]