ExGEO

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

New Port Richey, FL
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5HLQ/AG
I'm a member of ARES in Austin (Travis and Williamson counties) so I could browse their site for information in that area. I've been a ham for 11 years now, but wasn't active much when I lived in park city. Thanks for the information. I'll be sure to reach out when the widow maker and I are headed your way. I was a guide in Moab once upon a time and I still frequent the area.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: awolfnspirit

UtahOverlander

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Heber City, UT
Member #

Hams are not too active on this side of the Wasatch. That's Awesome that you were a guide in Moab. I've just started travelling there to do some minor trails. I won't be doing any rock crawling. Just some longer, easier trails. Snow there now. Touch base when you're headed this way.

ExGEO

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

New Port Richey, FL
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5HLQ/AG
I dont do any crawling. I have an H3 haha. I know some really cool spots out there but we will have to talk about it in person. ;-) there are a ton of trails out there that most stock rigs can do, but they don't get a lot of traffic because they aren't really advertised.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using OB Talk mobile app

Radiola

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Huachuca City, AZ
Member #

SOTA is short for Summits on the Air I think this is something we can do as a group But you will need to have your Amateur Radio License ( which is not that hard to get .....) here's a link that tells you more about it.

http://www.sota.org.uk/

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I'm wanting to get into SOTA as there are many listed summits around my house, but I've got to find a rig. I'm learning code so I can get a little QRP tin- style radio, but I've considered getting the Bit-X QRP SSB rig to build as well!

Reactions: Radiola

Radiola

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Huachuca City, AZ
Member #

I'm wanting to get into SOTA as there are many listed summits around my house, but I've got to find a rig. I'm learning code so I can get a little QRP tin- style radio, but I've considered getting the Bit-X QRP SSB rig to build as well!
I just saw where your located :) you ever heard of a town called Deerfield?

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

Sota is Awesome - the number of times ive hunted for Sota stations to get the summit activation logged

Great fun with combining the love for radio with outdoors on a mountain top running QRP (low power) :)

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
This morning I did my first ever CW activation for Summits on the Air. I did technically make two CW contacts during one of my previous SSB activations a few months back, but this was the first time I completely left the mic at home. I was extremely nervous while heading up the mountain, and completely overwhelmed with anxiety and fear of failure when i first turned the radio on. With a shaky hand I started calling CQ, and as soon as the Qs started rolling in I began to relax just a bit. In my best SSB activations i'd get maybe 8-10 QSOs, this morning, operating only in CW, i got... drum roll......

43 QSOs!!! 4 of which were Summit to Summits!!

I activated W7A/AW-001 Mt Lemmon (9159', 10pts) using my KX2, 10W to my end-fed non-resonant 58' inverted L. With the internal ATU on my KX2 I can tune all bands from 60m up to 10m and I worked every single one of them. Made Qs on all bands as well:
  • 60m: 6 Qs
  • 40m: 6 Q including 2 S2S
  • 30m: 6 Qs
  • 20m: 15 Qs including 1 S2S
  • 17m: 5 Qs
  • 15m: 3 Qs including 1 S2S
  • 10m: 2 Qs
I'm going to be putting together a longer vlog on my YouTube channel about the whole thing, but here's a clip of one of my QSOs. I'm still working to become proficient at morse code (only started learning it about 4 months ago) so you'll notice that my head copy has not quite caught up with the speed of my hearing, so I had to ask this poor guy to repeat his completely copyable call sign again, LOL. Thankfully I chase him (via CW) quite often so he wasn't a total stranger.

I've translated the morse code as captions for those who haven't seen the light yet, just enable [CC] and you'll see 'em.

Lost-Again

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Texas
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Again
Member #

Yeah.... I forgot to quote
"What kind of 2-meter coverage is out there? When I was in Austin we had several single repeaters. I've been in Florida for a while and the gulf coast ARC has a massive network on 70-cm. I'm looking to get back to Utah or to Montana. Someday I'll sit for general and extra, but I have to get back to America first.
KE5HLQ"