Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda, Bay Area, CA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
H.
Member #

I still have my 2003 WRX sedan but I don’t overland in it. I’ve gone out some questionable trails following some friends in trucks but the lack of clearance holds it back.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

I still have my 2003 WRX sedan but I don’t overland in it. I’ve gone out some questionable trails following some friends in trucks but the lack of clearance holds it back.
Add engine, transmission & differential skid plates underneath and a set of rock sliders with some decent AT tires and you'll be good to go. You may not make it through everything without the lift & bigger tires, but you will protect your car from damage that could occur from lack of clearance - but if you're going with some friends in trucks it won't take much to tug your 3500 lbs car free.

Or... you could go all out and build a Psycho-Subie like this guy on Instagram...
FireShot Capture 212 - Dallas Fields (@fieldsdallas) • I_ - https___www.instagram.com_p_B2gCA9...jpg

Reactions: rvrgrip and Baipin

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Sold off the xterra and the fiancé got a gx470 so for now I’ll be driving the forester , just put a 2” lift on it and need to get around to either making a skid plate or buying one . 8D4473B0-95DE-45C8-8ED7-9BB8E5A0E9DB.jpeg

Reactions: rvrgrip

snowdog650

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

NorCal
First Name
Derek
Last Name
D
Member #

Not new here ... but just became a full member today after taking what was my first "real" overland adventure in April with my 2018 Outback to Trona Pinnacles. My only change to the car is 235-60-R18 Wildpeak AT Trails. Now debating between building out the Outback (my daily driver), or just going all in an building out a GX470.

IMG_0150.jpg

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Not new here ... but just became a full member today after taking what was my first "real" overland adventure in April with my 2018 Outback to Trona Pinnacles. My only change to the car is 235-60-R18 Wildpeak AT Trails. Now debating between building out the Outback (my daily driver), or just going all in an building out a GX470.

View attachment 152751
Personally, I'd recommend getting some more trips under your belt to get a better idea of what you want/need before pulling the trigger on any build outs.

nc_forester

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Charlotte, NC, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Meyers
Member #

I was curious if this page had a Subie forum. Hi guys!

Here's the link to my build/adventures

Reactions: Baipin and rvrgrip

Sputnik

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda, Bay Area, CA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
H.
Member #

Add engine, transmission & differential skid plates underneath and a set of rock sliders with some decent AT tires and you'll be good to go. You may not make it through everything without the lift & bigger tires, but you will protect your car from damage that could occur from lack of clearance - but if you're going with some friends in trucks it won't take much to tug your 3500 lbs car free.

Or... you could go all out and build a Psycho-Subie like this guy on Instagram...
View attachment 152733
I could do that but then what would I do with the new Frontier :) I never felt the inclination to make the WRX more off-roadable because its just such a blast to hit the windy (paved) back roads in. Low is good for that. So, as I've learned the hard way, if its not broke don't fix it.
The new pickup though will be a long, fun, piece by piece project. Is that a double standard? I hope not.

Reactions: Sasquatch SC

RockandRoarFozzy

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Lancaster, PA, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Autry
Member #

Hey guys! I'm new to OB and excited to show my modest build on 04 Fozzy XS.
I have ADF 2" spacer lift in the front, 2.5" rear, on stock springs and struts with HD SurTrak axles.
I'm running the Sparco wheels on Discoverers (had I known different I would have gone with 15" wheels and K02's, but as a daily the set-up I have now drives really nice)
RalliTek skid plate.
Roof rack and lights ect, nothing fancy there.
No interior mods other than the Molle racks from ADF.
Intake is set up for a snorkel, just haven't done it yet.
I've been out on some fairly technical trails (for over landing, not wheeling) and it performed really well.
The kids in the pics are my two older boys. My little girls are still a little young to get out, and that's their Granpa (who went with me for the first time and doubted the Subbie's ability once he saw the trails, but ended up very impressed, haha).
I'm excited to check out the other Subbies here.20200424_160853.jpg20200424_160905.jpg20200406_175451.jpg

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

The story of a Subie owner's life. :laughing:

Welcome!
For me I always doubted it and thought of selling, then was pleasantly surprised - shocked actually - at some of the stuff it could go through. Namely, skipping across mud that would bog heavier vehicles. Something we have a lot of around here.

I'm at the point now where I'd be driving through the same difficulty of terrain in a more "built" rig anyways, and likely nothing more. I wouldn't feel safe doing more aggressive stuff when I'm alone, regardless of the vehicle. Mostly because I'm in a rig I also call my home; oftentimes for a few months on/off the road. So why not stick with something that still gets excellent MPGs and is comfortable for the whole time - often a very long time - that you're in it? :grinning: The only reason I'd want to sell the Foz is to get a much larger 4x4 van, truck, or skoolie, but that's comparing apples to oranges here, IMO.

Reactions: RockandRoarFozzy

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

For me I always doubted it and thought of selling, then was pleasantly surprised - shocked actually - at some of the stuff it could go through. Namely, skipping across mud that would bog heavier vehicles. Something we have a lot of around here.

I'm at the point now where I'd be driving through the same difficulty of terrain in a more "built" rig anyways, and likely nothing more. I wouldn't feel safe doing more aggressive stuff when I'm alone, regardless of the vehicle. Mostly because I'm in a rig I also call my home; oftentimes for a few months on/off the road. So why not stick with something that still gets excellent MPGs and is comfortable for the whole time - often a very long time - that you're in it? :grinning: The only reason I'd want to sell the Foz is to get a much larger 4x4 van, truck, or skoolie, but that's comparing apples to oranges here, IMO.
I love passing the guys on the trails with the crazy built up rigs in my Subie. They have spent thousands of dollars on full locker packages for their Jeep or Toyota and I am going up the same trail they are in a station wagon with full open differentials. I can't do the rock crawling at OHV parks, but I haven't had much trouble in the region on trails that actually go anywhere. I had a bit of a learning curve to adapt to the CVT transmission and over-protective computer system. It really gets unhappy if you have a tire off the ground for longer than a few seconds, but deleting the rear sway bar and having disconnects for the front have helped that for the most part.

Reactions: Baipin

nc_forester

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Charlotte, NC, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Meyers
Member #

I love passing the guys on the trails with the crazy built up rigs in my Subie. They have spent thousands of dollars on full locker packages for their Jeep or Toyota and I am going up the same trail they are in a station wagon with full open differentials. I can't do the rock crawling at OHV parks, but I haven't had much trouble in the region on trails that actually go anywhere. I had a bit of a learning curve to adapt to the CVT transmission and over-protective computer system. It really gets unhappy if you have a tire off the ground for longer than a few seconds, but deleting the rear sway bar and having disconnects for the front have helped that for the most part.
I was gonna ask you on Facebook but since Im already here did you delete both sway bars on the OB?