Investor

Enthusiast I

NE Los Angeles
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

Hey Subi folks. I hope everyone is taking care of themselves and preparing for the next trip...the current times are definitely allowing me to get caught up on a few things and really plan out my next mod and trip. I say plan since most of us including myself need to be real careful with budget due to financial uncertainty.
A while back I posted some info about a trans relearn that was performed on my '14 Crosstrek. It pretty much corrected the erratic cvt behavior most of us feel with 1st gen Crosstreks. Again after the dealer performed the relearn, the car ran perfect and better than new. Unfortunately this didn't last. The cvt problems started again about a month (approx 500 miles) after the relearn. Just to be clear, the problem Im speaking of has to do with the cvt shifting erratically at low speeds. Pretty much feels like the cvt transmission doesnt know what to do with itself. It shifts up and down too soon, causing the car to jerk back and forth at low speeds. I didnt post this to go on and on about an issue most if not all of us face with 1st gen's. Im posting to share the relearn procedure I found online. Perhaps it may help avoid having to take your car back to the dealer for something most of them dont seem to know how to deal with. I say this because when I took the car back a second time to address the same problem, the same service adviser didnt seem to know what I was talking about when I mentioned the relearn. My guess is that others have experienced the same thing when going to the dealer regarding cvt issues. I wish Subaru would come up with a permanent fix for this. Here are the cvt transmission relearn procedures:

Disconnect battery
Put foot on brake for 10 seconds (drain electrical system)
Reconnect battery
Turn ignition to "ON" position
Turn ignition "OFF"
Turn ignition to "ON" position
Turn ignition "OFF"
Wait 15 seconds
Start car
Idle for 60 seconds
Drive for 30 minutes on light/moderate throttle

If you have anything to add to this, or a line on a permanent fix, please reply. I hope this helps someone.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Time for new tires on my Wife’s Outback, Michelin Defenders are on the vehicle now. We run state and forest roads from Fl to NC,nothing close to extreme. Would like some input on the Yokohama Geolander ATG015. Her BIG concern is road noise. 60728264-477B-461B-9D86-5149708F60BD.jpegI read the reviews on Tire Rack and most say they are pretty quiet for an AT tire. Mileage and performance? Pre-Thanks for the input.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Time for new tires on my Wife’s Outback, Michelin Defenders are on the vehicle now. We run state and forest roads from Fl to NC,nothing close to extreme. Would like some input on the Yokohama Geolander ATG015. Her BIG concern is road noise. View attachment 149333I read the reviews on Tire Rack and most say they are pretty quiet for an AT tire. Mileage and performance? Pre-Thanks for the input.
I run the Geolandars and I love them. They're super quiet on the road and quite capable on the trail as well. I've got about 10k miles on mine so far and they seem to be wearing very well.

Reactions: Flipper

Gone_xtrkn

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Brendon
Last Name
P
Member #

I run the Geolandars and I love them. They're super quiet on the road and quite capable on the trail as well. I've got about 10k miles on mine so far and they seem to be wearing very well.
I went with the Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail on my Crosstrek and they’re very quiet . I have about 3k on them now.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

The Kuhmo AT51's were moderately quiet on my '19 OB for the first 3-5k miles, but at over 15k now they do have a slight hum, but it isn't obnoxious like some of the more aggressively tread options like what you'd hear from the BFG's.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Thanks Jeff and the other replies. We chatted a couple months ago. Did you ever get out to Lake Fontana or the Ocoee River yet?

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

I’m downright pissed. In S. Florida we have maybe 2-3 month window to camp and be reasonably comfortable and now between Covid-19 and global warming (it was almost 90 degrees over weekend!) I got to camp all of twice!
I feel the pain, bought a ton of new gear, didn’t get a chance to use any of it. Looks like it’s not going to happen anytime soon

Reactions: MiamiC70

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I’m downright pissed. In S. Florida we have maybe 2-3 month window to camp and be reasonably comfortable and now between Covid-19 and global warming (it was almost 90 degrees over weekend!) I got to camp all of twice!
Well, just know you've got the perfect bug-out rig to head for the hills and escape the horde of angry Costco customers who can't find any more toilet paper! :laughing: The global warming thing is pretty awful though... I'm in my 20's here, I worry about what the world is going to look like when I'm in my 80's.

Matthew Reed

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Reed
Member #

I’m in Middle Georgia and I definitely feel you on that one. I had so many cool trips planned for this spring. I was supposed to be home a few weeks ago working on some upgrades to my rig before heading out on a couple longer trips but that’s not happening now. I’ve been stuck overseas for the last month

• Sad
Reactions: MiamiC70

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Well, just know you've got the perfect bug-out rig to head for the hills and escape the horde of angry Costco customers who can't find any more toilet paper! :laughing: The global warming thing is pretty awful though... I'm in my 20's here, I worry about what the world is going to look like when I'm in my 80's.
The Florida Keys are having problems with flooding already. We are on the high ground at 90’ in Central Fl.

• Sad
Reactions: Baipin

Jaguar113

Rank I

Contributor III

USA
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
McCoy
Hi everyone! New to the forum, this is my second post.
I have a 2005 Subaru Outback XT. Just replaced the short block and turbo with suspension and tire upgrades on the way.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the reliability of the XT's for off-road usage?

My 2001 OB and my 2008 Forester were practically bomb-proof. But I am worried about taking a turbo into the back country. I know Forester XT's are popular but I've been trying to research this for weeks and have found very little on the Outback XT's.

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Hi everyone! New to the forum, this is my second post.
I have a 2005 Subaru Outback XT. Just replaced the short block and turbo with suspension and tire upgrades on the way.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the reliability of the XT's for off-road usage?

My 2001 OB and my 2008 Forester were practically bomb-proof. But I am worried about taking a turbo into the back country. I know Forester XT's are popular but I've been trying to research this for weeks and have found very little on the Outback XT's.
To my knowledge, the turbos fare pretty well. I haven't heard of any big cons with taking them out back, versus naturally aspirated, anyways. Perhaps it's a matter of statistics: People who drive chose to own XT turbos, and chose to drive them hard, may do so on the track, where they're really pushing their engines, and be more liable to break something? Dunno' just a thought.

Welcome to the forum though! :)

Jaguar113

Rank I

Contributor III

USA
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
McCoy
To my knowledge, the turbos fare pretty well. I haven't heard of any big cons with taking them out back, versus naturally aspirated, anyways. Perhaps it's a matter of statistics: People who drive chose to own XT turbos, and chose to drive them hard, may do so on the track, where they're really pushing their engines, and be more liable to break something? Dunno' just a thought.

Welcome to the forum though! :)
I think you nailed my problem. Turns out, its ME!
I need the functionality of an Outback but I drive it like a rally car. Knowing there is such a loyal following of Forester XT people has me reassured a bit. Sounds like I'll have to start a build thread for my Outback XT

Reactions: Baipin