Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Here’s a little mpg rundown @Baipin. Back when the car was like this on G015’s the best daily driven mixed mileage mpg was 25-25.5

99D26D43-DBA8-482F-AC48-A60C5E434FC7.jpeg

Take the basket off and the mileage was essentially the same but only because of the cold weather. I’m sure I don’t have to tell some people in here but newer Subaru’s are absolute pigs in the cold. So sadly I can’t tell you an accurate equal conditions mpg.

D3F7E107-498B-46B6-B955-C29E427FEB02.jpeg

Fast forward to added wind resistance and heavier Wildpeaks and my mixed average fell to ~24 mpg

ECB48C4C-7B39-4E67-BD24-6818822952F1.jpeg

For the first time in years I’ve removed the basket and like the last time it’s winter so the numbers are skewed but this is what I can report. Without a Christmas tree on the roof the car runs 500 rpm less at 65-70 mph. I’m not even through a full tank yet but based on what I’ve seen so far my guess would be ~27 mpg in any season other than winter haha.

65162FE3-DB7F-43A2-AEFE-2601FD8FE919.jpeg

Reactions: dolli310 and Baipin

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Here’s a little mpg rundown @Baipin. Back when the car was like this on G015’s the best daily driven mixed mileage mpg was 25-25.5

View attachment 131123

Take the basket off and the mileage was essentially the same but only because of the cold weather. I’m sure I don’t have to tell some people in here but newer Subaru’s are absolute pigs in the cold. So sadly I can’t tell you an accurate equal conditions mpg.

View attachment 131125

Fast forward to added wind resistance and heavier Wildpeaks and my mixed average fell to ~24 mpg

View attachment 131127

For the first time in years I’ve removed the basket and like the last time it’s winter so the numbers are skewed but this is what I can report. Without a Christmas tree on the roof the car runs 500 rpm less at 65-70 mph. I’m not even through a full tank yet but based on what I’ve seen so far my guess would be ~27 mpg in any season other than winter haha.

View attachment 131128
Dang, that's some awesome MPG. I've got a 2010 Foz XT and as much as I love the 4EAT transmission off road (it's a beast), combined with the turbo, those measly 4 speeds just crap out gas.

I actually just yesterday took everything off the top of my car (cargo basket, awning, even the factory crossbars), so I can see just how much of a difference those are making to my MPG. I'll report back when the verdict is in.

Jezus53

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Home
Howdy everyone,

It's taken me a bit to finally read through this post and I've liked a lot of the vehicles I've seen. I'm glad there's a community of like minded individuals who like to have fun with their Subarus. When I set about modifying my Subaru I was met with a lot of confused looks with a general reply of "Don't people usually lower Imprezas?" Yes they do, but I like to be a special little flower. So I give you my lifted 2011 Impreza Outback Sport.
USAL 1.jpgUSAL 2.jpg

I've been experiementing with my mods so it's a bit of a mess, but here's what I have as of now.
In the front:
  1. King Springs
  2. 3/8" Strut Hat Spacers (made them out of scrap aluminum)
In the Rear:
  1. King Springs
  2. Outback Strut swap (2" longer than Impreza)
  3. 1.25" Subframe Spacers (made from scrap aluminum)
  4. Control Arms with Camber Adjustment (forgot the manufacturer...)
  5. Primitive Rear Diff Armor
  6. 19mm Whiteline Rear Swaybar (I drive mountain roads A LOT)
Other:
  1. Method Racing M502 15" Rims
  2. General Grabber AT2 205/75R15
  3. Curt Roof Rack
  4. No-name light bar (will be removing soon)
  5. No-name Awning (gift, but it's actually not bad)
Overall I have a decent 10" of clearance in the rear and about 9" in the front. I'd like to hack into the bumper at some point but I just can't get myself to cut away at it. I originally had strut hat spacers of ~1.5" all around 1) I would like to do something like Anderson Design's spacers in the front since I don't want to knock out the studs in the new strut mounts I installed, and 2) the rear is maxed out on lift...for now.

Speaking of tires, I started with the Geolandar G015s and they were great on the road and trail, but I found them lacking in the mud. Their ice/snow performance was okay, but I have limited experience in that environment so I wouldn't trust my input and I was only driving through it for a couple miles at best. What turned me off the most was the wear, I had zero tread after ~30k. So I decided to try the General Grabbers since the guys at dirally seem to like them and they were only $300 for the four. So far I like them, the traction is great on trail, but of course not the best on mountain roads. The road noise is...different. Definitely more howling coming from my car, but with all the wind noise from my roof rack I barely hear it!

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

First, here is an obligatory picture of the Appalachia Wander Wagon a guy took on a little softroading trip I went on w/ some MtnRoo folks..

F82ECFA7-F4F1-447A-A86D-F67FCD727499.jpeg

2720D22E-FF71-4A90-A983-C8CFE5F87CE7.jpeg

Now here is the question I have been tossing around: if I install a snorkel, will I be stuck w/ the cursed CEL always being on?

This fall I am planning on going on a 4k+ mile odyssey from the Carolinas hitting trails on the way to & around Colorado & Utah & again on the return trip. Our convoy of 4 will include a Wrangler, Tacoma, & Silverado 1500 - so I’m already the plucky underdog. I’m starting to make a to-do list now so I can allocate funds when I get my taxes back & my bonus at work so I’ll be ready to rock. I’m upgrading some of my trail lights & I’m getting them professionally wired using an Infinite Offroad control panel after Christmas but after that here are my next steps:
  • Rock Sliders
  • Storage drawers in the rear
  • Second battery
  • Fridge
  • Trans temperature gauge
  • Maybe a trans cooler? Undecided bc that would definitely throw a lot of the warranty out the window (currently at 15k on the odometer)
  • Quick connect front sway bar links (the RalliTek adjustable ones I have now can be disconnected w/ the center screw thing but then it leaves the pieces that are connected to the car hanging there & I’m afraid they’re gonna jab a hole into something)
  • Horizontal mount propane tank
  • Racks to hold jerry cans on the basket (2 for fuel, 1 for water)
  • A bolt in weapon locker to store my second amendments when I’m in unfriendly states
  • Change my rear setup to the RalliTek 2.25” Rear Super Overload Springs & Strut assemblies (currently have 1.5” spacers, Bilstein struts & stock height king springs back there). I’ve noticed a definite difference in the rear w/ the Wilco Hitchgate & spare back there. The hitch for it also is lower than what I had before.
After I do all of that the only thing I have on my list as a maybe is a snorkel. But I don’t want to do it if the CEL is always going to be on. Anybody have any insight on this?

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
First, here is an obligatory picture of the Appalachia Wander Wagon a guy took on a little softroading trip I went on w/ some MtnRoo folks..

Now here is the question I have been tossing around: if I install a snorkel, will I be stuck w/ the cursed CEL always being on?

This fall I am planning on going on a 4k+ mile odyssey from the Carolinas hitting trails on the way to & around Colorado & Utah & again on the return trip. Our convoy of 4 will include a Wrangler, Tacoma, & Silverado 1500 - so I’m already the plucky underdog. I’m starting to make a to-do list now so I can allocate funds when I get my taxes back & my bonus at work so I’ll be ready to rock. I’m upgrading some of my trail lights & I’m getting them professionally wired using an Infinite Offroad control panel after Christmas but after that here are my next steps:
  • Rock Sliders
  • Storage drawers in the rear
  • Second battery
  • Fridge
  • Trans temperature gauge
  • Maybe a trans cooler? Undecided bc that would definitely throw a lot of the warranty out the window (currently at 15k on the odometer)
  • Quick connect front sway bar links (the RalliTek adjustable ones I have now can be disconnected w/ the center screw thing but then it leaves the pieces that are connected to the car hanging there & I’m afraid they’re gonna jab a hole into something)
  • Horizontal mount propane tank
  • Racks to hold jerry cans on the basket (2 for fuel, 1 for water)
  • A bolt in weapon locker to store my second amendments when I’m in unfriendly states
  • Change my rear setup to the RalliTek 2.25” Rear Super Overload Springs & Strut assemblies (currently have 1.5” spacers, Bilstein struts & stock height king springs back there). I’ve noticed a definite difference in the rear w/ the Wilco Hitchgate & spare back there. The hitch for it also is lower than what I had before.
After I do all of that the only thing I have on my list as a maybe is a snorkel. But I don’t want to do it if the CEL is always going to be on. Anybody have any insight on this?
The short answer is no, why would you?! Another answer is why even bother with a snorkel?

Nothing about the 5th gen lends itself to a traditional snorkel installation. Aside from that the only ones I’ve seen are complete hack jobs that can’t be trusted to do the job.

I think something you seriously need to consider is limiting weight by eliminating things that you really don’t need and going as lightweight as you can on the things you do. For example ’sliders’, do you really need them? That question is coming from someone who seriously goes off road with their Outback and doesn‘t have them. Another is 3 Jerry cans.. I know people who travel with vehicles getting worse gas mileage who carry less. Also if you’re having spring concerns with King then stay away from Rallitek, especially their lift because you already run spacers. Rallitek has a lower spring rate so they’d be worse.

Reactions: Rubyredfozzy

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

The short answer is no, why would you?! Another answer is why even bother with a snorkel?

Nothing about the 5th gen lends itself to a traditional snorkel installation. Aside from that the only ones I’ve seen are complete hack jobs that can’t be trusted to do the job.

I think something you seriously need to consider is limiting weight by eliminating things that you really don’t need and going as lightweight as you can on the things you do. For example ’sliders’, do you really need them? That question is coming from someone who seriously goes off road with their Outback and doesn‘t have them. Another is 3 Jerry cans.. I know people who travel with vehicles getting worse gas mileage who carry less. Also if you’re having spring concerns with King then stay away from Rallitek, especially their lift because you already run spacers. Rallitek has a lower spring rate so they’d be worse.
The snorkel was just out of general curiosity. The weight avoidance less fuel is hard to avoid on a 9 day trip. I’m keeping my backseat so storage is limited to the trunk & the roof. I thought of rigging a jerry can onto the space between the trunk & the Wilco but I haven’t given too much thought into it yet. I thought of going w/ the RalliTek setup bc of the taller springs?

I have been going hard w/ my car on some pretty rough trails w/o sliders, but in the southeast you don’t have the random off-camber w/ big ass boulders in the middle like we are likely to come across in the western states. I’m hoping to avoid it, but I don’t want to ruin the rockers & frame bc I ended up high-center on something.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
The snorkel was just out of general curiosity. The weight avoidance less fuel is hard to avoid on a 9 day trip. I’m keeping my backseat so storage is limited to the trunk & the roof. I thought of rigging a jerry can onto the space between the trunk & the Wilco but I haven’t given too much thought into it yet. I thought of going w/ the RalliTek setup bc of the taller springs?

I have been going hard w/ my car on some pretty rough trails w/o sliders, but in the southeast you don’t have the random off-camber w/ big ass boulders in the middle like we are likely to come across in the western states. I’m hoping to avoid it, but I don’t want to ruin the rockers & frame bc I ended up high-center on something.
You‘re traveling with a 2 trucks and a Jeep though.. Last time I led a group I got gas every other stop. Not because i had to, because why not haha. I could have done it every 3rd stop because of a Jeep and an FJ so regardless of time you should still be doing better than the people you’re with haha. Added weight will dictate a lot when it comes to terrain, especially slow going with the 3.6 geared for highway mpg.

Part of what makes up the 2.25” lift is spacer but ultimately what you really care about is spring rate. If Kings are sagging on you then Rallitek will be worse. To be honest I have a hard time imagining how much weight you currently carry to even have this conversation. That said my rear end is intentionally lifted 3.75” to accommodate some ‘sag’ when I’m fully loaded for trips. This is a family of 4 loaded for 7 days on Rallitek rear springs and as you can see.. no sag.

AD8EC78D-E279-490C-93FD-9ABB613D0098.jpeg

The sliders that are available to us are only good to ‘kick’ the car around a rock. They offer no protection underneath so you will absolutely still high center on a rock and you won’t like it haha. The more weight you carry the more you’re going to hit on the trails. Either from sagging or dynamically as the suspension works.

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

For me, gas cans make sense because if I'm traveling far it's up in Canada's north; where gas stations are few and far between. You can't guarantee if they'll have 91, 89, let alone any gas at all. Also, the distances are vast, and I can probably go places for more time and further away, than most trucks could, unless they're loaded down with gas cans specifically for that purpose. 2 are good, but I've never found the need to carry more than 2.

For snorkels, I've never found the need either. I also travel solo a lot though, and have no desire for a more "capable" rig, because I would never use it for that. No matter what I'm driving, there comes a point with any and every vehicle that I would not pass, for my own safety. A Subaru does all I need without transforming into a boat ;) On the other hand, I can see the advantage of a snorkel if it's extra insurance against water intrusion or a shallow crossing that suddenly deepens. It's a matter of philosphy in a way: If you're getting a snorkel to make your rig more capable, maybe not such a good idea. If you're getting a snorkel to add more "insurance" to your rig, and will continue doing the same things, not trying to push its capabilities further and further, that may be a good idea. But, is it worth the work, and the CEL?

I've never found a need for sliders. People do scrape without them, but get away just fine. Having a 2" front 2.5" rear lift, I can go up and down steep slopes and breakovers all day without much worry. I have been close at times - though had I been equipped with sliders, I'd of rubbed. Like Wawa was getting at (I think?), those sliders won't support the entire weight of the vehicle, so forget about that, and if you want protection there, maybe some aluminum angle as a sort of "skid plate" for the pinch weld?

Reactions: Jeffrey Dill

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I’m not advocating no extra fuel. I wouldn’t do that because I carry extra fuel when I go out. I’m suggesting LESS extra fuel in an effort to save weight. Over 40lbs not counting how it’s properly secured. Add in the weight of the sliders and it’s probably over 100lbs... and that’s only between two things! I just used those as examples and I’m sure that if I saw a full gear list I’d be able to cut plenty of other weight. It’s amazing how much weight you can save when you really think about it.

Using LP’s sliders as an example the best protection you get is turning into a rock. Otherwise you’re going to have to pretty perfectly slide down the perfect ledge to get protection underneath as there isn't much room for forgiveness. When I’m in unfamiliar terrain I view every obstacle from both directions meaning that would I be able to drive over/up this going back if I can’t complete this trail. If I can’t pick a better line to avoid the damage in the first place the answer is probably no. Aside from not approving of the design I simply see them as dead weight on most Subaru’s.

To clarify the snorkel... They absolutely have a practical use but on a newer electrically laiden Subaru you’re better off carrying a couple extra air filters and not going that deep in water. On top of that, as I explained previously, there is no mail order option. It’s going to be custom and the vehicle does not lend itself to be done. The headlights are half the length of the fender and you obviously need to be able to run an air filter. Like I said, I’ve seen two on 5th gens. No offense to the owners but they’re both unreliable hack jobs.

The more you do this sort of thing the more you learn what you actually need, how to properly stow it, and how to do it all better. The ‘overlanding’ craze has given way to overweight rigs carrying new/fancy gear people don’t use/need. When you’re doing this with a light duty vehicle all of this extra weight takes its toll. Suspension parts (bushings, strut mounts, etc..), drivetrain components (CVT, axles, etc..), and it impacts the vehicles capabilities.

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Yeah, I think one of the best attributes of Subarus is how lightweight they are. Around here, we have plenty of mud. With the except of clay, I coast right over that stuff like few others do, and with a bit of momentum, the AWD really does a fantastic job at it. Going too heavy, you tend to hurt your ability to do this considerably. That's been one of my main challenges with the bumper build. Speaking of which...

1577135409874.png

1577135466656.png

I'm also thinking of adding a little pelican case up front: This lets me store my 12v anderson plugs and solar connectors out of the elements. For jump starting, 12v air pump, charging battery bank at home, charging battery bank off of solar when camping, etc.

1577135578240.png

1577135653522.png

Or maybe I'll put it on the back... I don't know :P Front tends to be more useable though.

shaynes1776

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Los Angeles
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Haynes
Member #

I did the Fuel Canister Bypass mod last night. I followed Bruceys video on youtube and bought most of the things on Amazon and the local hardware shop. The hardest thing was removing all those push pins.. there were so many. It saved me roughly $30.00 dollars compared to buying the kit from LP Adventure. The one thing I couldnt find was a cap for the old hose so I cut a wine cork in half and it fit perfectly :).

Attachments

CurrentlyRockhoundin

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Jared
Last Name
Goguen
Member #

I just saw there is a pretty big passenger airbag recall.

2003-2006 Subaru Baja
2009-2013 Subaru Forester
2004-2011 Subaru Impreza
2003-2014 Subaru Legacy
2003-2014 Subaru Outback
2004-2014 Subaru WRX

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
I just saw there is a pretty big passenger airbag recall.

2003-2006 Subaru Baja
2009-2013 Subaru Forester
2004-2011 Subaru Impreza
2003-2014 Subaru Legacy
2003-2014 Subaru Outback
2004-2014 Subaru WRX

This just in – exclusive live footage of the recall scenario: