Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Jared
Last Name
Goguen
Member #

So I got a question about getting my 2012 Outback more water tight. What's needed to be able to safely drive through slightly deep (for this thing) water? Rear Diff breather?

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Love to hear feedback as I have same question about my 2019

I was looking at this ARB breather system;

and this LP Adventure Canister bypass kit;
I know there is a filter somewhere above the rear diff that can set off all the warning lights on the car's computer that could be problematic. I found that out the hard way - working my way through deep water for a long way on flooded streets. However, most of the time on the trails I am on, I am not in deep enough water long enough to adversely really effect anything.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I don’t know for certain with the 4th gen EVAP canister but the 5th gen vents right above the rear diff while the canister is in the driver rear wheel well. I’m pretty sure the whole canister for the 4th gen is near the diff. A rerouted vent line should help.

The rear differential has a push in type vent. To do it properly you’d have to tap the existing hole to run a vent line elsewhere. My 5th gen has been in a lot of water and I’ve replaced the rear diff gear oil more frequently because of this. There’s never been an indication of water contamination in the oil.

The front diff and transmission breathers are in a good place under the throttle body.

CurrentlyRockhoundin

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Jared
Last Name
Goguen
Member #

Love to hear feedback as I have same question about my 2019

I was looking at this ARB breather system;

and this LP Adventure Canister bypass kit;
Based on this video that doesn't seem really worth it vs. putting the parts together yourself.

CurrentlyRockhoundin

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Jared
Last Name
Goguen
Member #

Got this guy installed today, had to make up some brackets cause the ones it came with were just a little too tall and wide cause at 42" the light just barely fits.

Any suggestions on how to make entry with the wire?

light bar.jpg

Reactions: Jeffrey Dill

RayRay04

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Chestertown, Maryland, USA
First Name
Ray
Last Name
Ray
Member #

2004 Forester and 2012 Impreza. The Forester is out of commission for the time being. I hope to make some modifications to the Impreza and use it for some overland trips, obviously mostly road based, but overlanding none the less.Looking to add fog lights and a roof rack first to the Impreza and obtain a ham radio.

Attachments

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Got this guy installed today, had to make up some brackets cause the ones it came with were just a little too tall and wide cause at 42" the light just barely fits.

View attachment 121649
Lookin' good! I routed mine down from the front lights - similar location to this setup - along the inside of the roof rack bars to the back of my Forester, and in through the tail gate. I put a hole in the rubber grommet that the tail gate's own wires run though, then sealed it with "spray-on electrical tape". Plastidip would do too.

CurrentlyRockhoundin

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Jared
Last Name
Goguen
Member #

Lookin' good! I routed mine down from the front lights - similar location to this setup - along the inside of the roof rack bars to the back of my Forester, and in through the tail gate. I put a hole in the rubber grommet that the tail gate's own wires run though, then sealed it with "spray-on electrical tape". Plastidip would do too.
Thanks ill likely run it like that as well.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ

View attachment 121649
For my CB antenna, because it's on the front of the roof, I came down in the roof rail gutter, then in a gutter that runs down the side of my windshield (I can't tell from the picture if your windshield has the same), then into the engine bay, then through the electrical grommet in the firewall. For my Ham antenna, which is mounted on my back gate, I ran the cable above the roof liner, then behind the plastic piece covering the pillar between the front and rear passenger seats, to come out under the front passenger seat (where my base unit is located).

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Finished the structural bits and the latch on my bumper build:

1570852255003.png

1570852278499.png

Very happy with how the stainless sill plates turned out. All cut, ground, and polished with an angle grinder and a handheld belt sander in one afternoon!

All that's left now is paint, a few weld-nuts for the jerry can holder and spare tire carrier, and to make some wear surfaces for the swing-out. I'm thinking of using Kydex for that.

CurrentlyRockhoundin

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Jared
Last Name
Goguen
Member #

Finished the structural bits and the latch on my bumper build:

View attachment 121675

View attachment 121676

Very happy with how the stainless sill plates turned out. All cut, ground, and polished with an angle grinder and a handheld belt sander in one afternoon!

All that's left now is paint, a few weld-nuts for the jerry can holder and spare tire carrier, and to make some wear surfaces for the swing-out. I'm thinking of using Kydex for that.
That looks so clean!

Reactions: Baipin

Enthusiast I

Arkansas
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Swartzwelder
Looks great! would love to see a build thread on this. How do you have it attached? Do you have a receiver hitch below the center mount/latch point? I was planning to build a tire carrier myself, and would like to copy your design.

Reactions: Baipin

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Looks great! would love to see a build thread on this. How do you have it attached? Do you have a receiver hitch below the center mount/latch point? I was planning to build a tire carrier myself, and would like to copy your design.
Thanks for the nice words! You can find my build here. I really need to update the bumper photos, because a lot of changed or been added, but nevertheless... Subaru Forester - '18 XT

CurrentlyRockhoundin

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Jared
Last Name
Goguen
Member #

Well this is disappointing a little bit. As I make attempts to waterproof my 2012 Outback I see it has rear vents on both sides which I assume are to aid in closing the doors. Do you think it's worth it to take off the panels, remove the vents and seal them up from the outside?

Option B would be to glue them from the inside so they could never be stuck in the open position.

Thoughts?

outback1.jpg outback2.jpg

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I can say from experience, having forded this...

1571100038803.png

...that even when the rear-driverside vents went underwater each time I exited a puddle or hit a rut within them, I did not take any water in. My SJ Forester has vents in the same location behind the rear wheelwells. As long as you're moving, you shouldn't be bringing anything in. I'd assume that, because of how the vents are designed to open outwards, a little bit of water splashing against them would force them to seal. That said; always better safe them sorry. So maybe work on waterproofing more critical and vulnerable parts of the vehicle before you worry about this.

CurrentlyRockhoundin

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Jared
Last Name
Goguen
Member #

I can say from experience, having forded this...

View attachment 122076

...that even when the rear-driverside vents went underwater each time I exited a puddle or hit a rut within them, I did not take any water in. My SJ Forester has vents in the same location behind the rear wheelwells. As long as you're moving, you shouldn't be bringing anything in. I'd assume that, because of how the vents are designed to open outwards, a little bit of water splashing against them would force them to seal. That said; always better safe them sorry. So maybe work on waterproofing more critical and vulnerable parts of the vehicle before you worry about this.

Thanks! Ill keep these on the to do list but hold off for now.