Subaru Owners Registry

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

Damien Meredith

Rank I

Member I

Great Smoky Mountains, United States
First Name
Damien
Last Name
Meredith
Member #

Check in>
Greetings from the Smokies.

2015 Forester 2.5L ( Shilo )IMG_0461.jpgIMG_1927.jpg
-Primitive Triple Armor
-BFGoodrich KO2's
-Magnaflow Muffler w/ resonator delete.
-Uniden Bearcat SSB (breaker breaker)
-First aid kit and Tool pouch are always a work in progress.

Thanks for having me, I will be posting updates as I add amenities to the rig.

Hobie01

Rank III
Supporter

Advocate II

Northern California, CA, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Hoberman
Member #

I did it! I put rallitek springs in all four struts! Overload in the back and oe height in front. It's super nice! Also snagged some bfg ko2 (225/65/17).

IMG_5605.JPG
IMG_5613.JPG

I wasn't sure what to expect. Rallitek says about half an inch gain but it's closer to an inch. Ride is very nice. It's noticably more rigid.

IMG_5597.JPG
IMG_5586.JPG

Thanks to my coworker for helping me. John, if youre reading this your OB welcome kit was delivered and youre about to post about your outback. Haha!

Jeffrey Dill

Rank V

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham Callsign
W4FOZ
I did it! I put rallitek springs in all four struts! Overload in the back and oe height in front. It's super nice! Also snagged some bfg ko2 (225/65/17).

View attachment 118307
View attachment 118308

I wasn't sure what to expect. Rallitek says about half an inch gain but it's closer to an inch. Ride is very nice. It's noticably more rigid.

View attachment 118309
View attachment 118310

Thanks to my coworker for helping me. John, if youre reading this your OB welcome kit was delivered and youre about to post about your outback. Haha!
Very nice! It's amazing how much of a difference a set of good aftermarket springs can make.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spartanburg, SC, USA
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

So I'm planning WAY ahead for a 4k mile round trip out west and back this time next year - hitting parks and forests in both directions. I'm making a list for upgrades and I wanted to get opinions and thoughts or if I am forgetting anything.

2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring

Current Set-up
  • 2" ReadyLift Spacers
  • 17x8 Sport Edition P3 Wheels wrapped in 29.5" Kuhmo AT51's
  • RalliTek Adjustable Front End Links
  • RalliTek 0" Front Springs
  • King 0.4" Rear Springs
  • Deleted Rear Sway Bar
  • Class III Hitch Receiver
  • Wilco Hitchgate Spare Tire Carrier
  • Rally Innovations Front Rally Bar w/ (2) Hella 500 lights
  • Thule AeroBlade Crossbars
  • Thule Canyon XT Roof Basket w/ (4) 5" spot/flood lights forward facing, (1) 4" flood light pod port, (1) 4" flood light pod starboard, (2) 4" flood lights rear facing
  • Primitive Skidplates (front, transmission & rear differential)
  • CB & GMRS Base Stations (36" CB antenna, 6 dB gain GMRS antenna)
  • Perrin Intake
  • ARB Bushranger Exhaust Operated Jack
  • Imitation MaxTrax
  • Amazon high volume air compressor
  • Rhino Tow Strap & Shackles
  • Gazelle T3 tent, misc. backpacking meal gear, Yeti cooler.
  • Gunbunker GS-1 safe in the center console for the little bangs, SecureIt Tactical Model 40 in the rear for the big booms.
Plans:
  • Install (2) AGM 6volt batteries in series where the spare used to live. I don't want to tie it into the vehicles existing electrical system. I'd like to charge them using a combination of trickle charger from the 12v outlet in the trunk and a solar charger.
  • Remove the Canyon XT basket and swap in a Front Runner rack. Add lights, mounts for propane, water can, and maybe (2) 5 gallon fuel cans, storage boxes
  • Some kind of fridge system, less flimsy camp kitchen gear
  • Rock Sliders (I'd like the LP set, but the Primitive set is more affordable)
  • Primitive hidden winch mount with the WARN VRX 45-S winch w/ synthetic line
Possibilities:
  • TORQ Locker - automatic locking differential
  • Don't hate me for this - but I've always thought a snorkel would look bad ass. I don't want the check engine light to be perpetually on. Is it possible to do an install on one without the CEL being on?
82ybv9wtctl31.jpg

MiamiC70

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

So I'm planning WAY ahead for a 4k mile round trip out west and back this time next year - hitting parks and forests in both directions. I'm making a list for upgrades and I wanted to get opinions and thoughts or if I am forgetting anything.

2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring

Current Set-up
  • 2" ReadyLift Spacers
  • 17x8 Sport Edition P3 Wheels wrapped in 29.5" Kuhmo AT51's
  • RalliTek Adjustable Front End Links
  • RalliTek 0" Front Springs
  • King 0.4" Rear Springs
  • Deleted Rear Sway Bar
  • Class III Hitch Receiver
  • Wilco Hitchgate Spare Tire Carrier
  • Rally Innovations Front Rally Bar w/ (2) Hella 500 lights
  • Thule AeroBlade Crossbars
  • Thule Canyon XT Roof Basket w/ (4) 5" spot/flood lights forward facing, (1) 4" flood light pod port, (1) 4" flood light pod starboard, (2) 4" flood lights rear facing
  • Primitive Skidplates (front, transmission & rear differential)
  • CB & GMRS Base Stations (36" CB antenna, 6 dB gain GMRS antenna)
  • Perrin Intake
  • ARB Bushranger Exhaust Operated Jack
  • Imitation MaxTrax
  • Amazon high volume air compressor
  • Rhino Tow Strap & Shackles
  • Gazelle T3 tent, misc. backpacking meal gear, Yeti cooler.
  • Gunbunker GS-1 safe in the center console for the little bangs, SecureIt Tactical Model 40 in the rear for the big booms.
Plans:
  • Install (2) AGM 6volt batteries in series where the spare used to live. I don't want to tie it into the vehicles existing electrical system. I'd like to charge them using a combination of trickle charger from the 12v outlet in the trunk and a solar charger.
  • Remove the Canyon XT basket and swap in a Front Runner rack. Add lights, mounts for propane, water can, and maybe (2) 5 gallon fuel cans, storage boxes
  • Some kind of fridge system, less flimsy camp kitchen gear
  • Rock Sliders (I'd like the LP set, but the Primitive set is more affordable)
  • Primitive hidden winch mount with the WARN VRX 45-S winch w/ synthetic line
Possibilities:
  • TORQ Locker - automatic locking differential
  • Don't hate me for this - but I've always thought a snorkel would look bad ass. I don't want the check engine light to be perpetually on. Is it possible to do an install on one without the CEL being on?
View attachment 118956
Bad ass!

I am not 100% there yet but heading in a very similar direction!

Reactions: Sasquatch SC

Hobie01

Rank III
Supporter

Advocate II

First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Hoberman
Member #

Very nice! It's amazing how much of a difference a set of good aftermarket springs can make.
Its day and night. really excited to see how much better the days on the trails are going to be. on road is very nice. planning a few trips before winter now that i'm not terrified of my stock tires. wired up a dashcam in the front and back, bolted my old garmin to the car, i'm ready to go! next year i have a few plans. skid plates and a full sized spare with a way to hitch mount it (aside of the insanely expensive wilco types), and perhaps a performance part if the budget allows. loving the 2019 forester.

Kaiser

Rank I

Traveler I

CT
Hear, hear. I had no idea how bad my struts had gotten until I installed 4 news ones today (Rallitek 0" lift overload springs on Bilstein B6 shocks). It feels like a whole new car. No more crashing over potholes, side to side head-shaking over seemingly even roads, or the disconcerting side-step in uneven corners.

Since the car was in the shop anyway I had the Falken Wildpeaks installed too (thanks to Wawa Skittletits for the recommendation!). I'm looking forward to seeing how they do compared to my previous AT tires (Hankook Dynapros and Conti TerrainContacts). I'm considering going back to my old process next year, though, of throwing a dedicated set of winter tires on the Outback from late fall til early spring. I still have a set of wheels from the STi that'll fit the Outback, so the only cost would be the tires.

Spreading the wear load like that used to extend the life my summer tires on the STi, LGT, and WRX significantly (not surprising), and there's no denying that after the first year of use my ATs just won't have the same winter traction they had back when they were new. They'll be fine for a while, sure, but not great.

Btw, martin_j001, what did you wind up going with to replace your TerrainContacts? I know you and I had very similar experiences (CN for everyone else: Great tire in nearly all conditions, but man did they wear down fast).

Attachments

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Jeffrey Dill

Rank V

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham Callsign
W4FOZ
Hear, hear. I had no idea how bad my struts had gotten until I installed 4 news ones today (Rallitek 0" lift overload springs on Bilstein B6 shocks). It feels like a whole new car. No more crashing over potholes, side to side head-shaking over seemingly even roads, or the disconcerting side-step in uneven corners.

Since the car was in the shop anyway I had the Falken Wildpeaks installed too (thanks to Wawa Skittletits for the recommendation!). I'm looking forward to seeing how they do compared to my previous AT tires (Hankook Dynapros and Conti TerrainContacts). I'm considering going back to my old process next year, though, of throwing a dedicated set of winter tires on the Outback from late fall til early spring. I still have a set of wheels from the STi that'll fit the Outback, so the only cost would be the tires.

Spreading the wear load like that used to extend the life my summer tires on the STi, LGT, and WRX significantly (not surprising), and there's no denying that after the first year of use my ATs just won't have the same winter traction they had back when they were new. They'll be fine for a while, sure, but not great.

Btw, martin_j001, what did you wind up going with to replace your TerrainContacts? I know you and I had very similar experiences (CN for everyone else: Great tire in nearly all conditions, but man did they wear down fast).
What size Wildpeaks did you go with? It looks like you've got ample space between the tire and the spring perch on the strut.

Kaiser

Rank I

Traveler I

CT
Same as my previous tires (the TerrainContacts): 245/65 17. That's on a 2" LPA lift, fwiw, but interestingly enough I'm getting a very slight amount of rubbing on the wheel well liner at certain extreme wheel angles (i.e., turning around in my driveway).

It's been nearly two years since I had the TerrainContacts installed, so I don't recall if those rubbed a bit as well for a short time, or whether the Wildpeaks' more aggressive tread is the culprit this time. Either way it seems to be a matter of microns -- I expect it'll disappear once the tires wear just a slight bit.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank V

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham Callsign
W4FOZ
That's impressive. I've got 225/65R17's on my 2010 Foz and it's definitely the largest I can go.

Getting those on there required a small amount of wheel well liner shaving in the front to avoid scrubbing when about halfway between straight and full lock. And the tops of the front tires clear the spring perches on the struts by maybe a centimeter.

And in the rear we actually had to take an angle grinder and ball peen hammer to the front fender seam. When it was in proper balance after the lift, springs, tires, adjustable camber arms, etc the tires were literally touching the fender seam (resting hard against it actually). After grinding some slits in the seam and hammering it up against the wheel well, it's now got plenty of room (and is still structurally sound). :tearsofjoy:

Logan Hall

Rank 0

Contributor I

So I’m in a position where I need to replace my front struts and springs. I will probably be doing the tears as well, just not immediately. Anyone have any info on what brand or type I should go with? All I’m seeing pretty much are KYBs. I saw Blistein B6s on Rallitek, but They’re a bit pricier. Not sure if it’s worth that extra cash

Hobie01

Rank III
Supporter

Advocate II

First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Hoberman
Member #

So I’m in a position where I need to replace my front struts and springs. I will probably be doing the tears as well, just not immediately. Anyone have any info on what brand or type I should go with? All I’m seeing pretty much are KYBs. I saw Blistein B6s on Rallitek, but They’re a bit pricier. Not sure if it’s worth that extra cash
depends what you are trying to do, check this out: RalliTEK vs. King Springs | RalliTEK - Blog

I used Rallitek springs on stock struts for a little bit more clearance and more rigidity.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spartanburg, SC, USA
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

depends what you are trying to do, check this out: RalliTEK vs. King Springs | RalliTEK - Blog

I used Rallitek springs on stock struts for a little bit more clearance and more rigidity.
The complete strut & spring assemblies offered by RalliTek are a solid deal. I wish I would have given them more consideration before I swapped it all out. Hindsight is 20/20, but I have learned a lot more about my suspension.

I run RalliTek springs on the front and King springs on the rear with the Bilstein's on all 4 corners. I deleted my rear sway bar to get more suspension flex on the trail (less 3-wheel action) and the stiffer King springs makes up for some of the on-road mannerisms that were sacrificed with that delete. I can't throw the car into hard curves at speed on the road like when I had the rear sway bar still on, but the springs have helped reduce the extra body roll I gained when I took off the bar.

Now... if only I could commit to the TORQ automatic locking differential I will be able to really get into some mountain goat action.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank V

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham Callsign
W4FOZ
I can't compare them to RalliTek, since I've never owned any, but I run King springs on my 2010 Foz and they've been great. I'm also running a 2" lift though (it's the lift kit that includes the King springs from Primitive Racing), so I'm likely benefitting from the stiffer springs more than someone would who was running less or no lift.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank V

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham Callsign
W4FOZ
Reactions: DoubleA_FL

Logan Hall

Rank 0

Contributor I

Thanks for your guys input! After talking with a guy from ADF today, I ended up ordering stock height king springs all around and KYB struts for the front and rear.
FYI I was able to find the springs cheapest from Primitive racing. The struts I found cheapest from Rock Auto. They offered the KYB front struts assembled minus the springs. But I like to get a bit of grease on my hands so I can’t imagine it’ll be too much of a big deal.

Wasn’t expecting this large of a purchase for someone on a relatively low budget, but I think it’ll turn out all right. Definitely gonna be looking to ADF on the lift when I go for it. The guy seemed very knowledgeable over the phone.
No offense to the other companies, but he definitely seemed to be able to answer my questions much better than the people I spoke to at Rallitek or Primitive a few months ago.