Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mountain House, CA
First Name
Costa
Last Name
Etlender
Member #

There are talks about auto locker for the R160, by Master Torq. The thing I'd like the most is a real manual or auto trans and low range, these CVTs are no good for offroad. These subies are no rock crawlers, everything looks so fragile underneath and can't have real sliders.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

There are talks about auto locker for the R160, by Master Torq. The thing I'd like the most is a real manual or auto trans and low range, these CVTs are no good for offroad. These subies are no rock crawlers, everything looks so fragile underneath and can't have real sliders.
Yeah, but shhhhhhhh.... don't let all the 4Runners, Tacos & Jeeps know that.
I don't want to do any rock crawling. Been there, done that, blown way too much money on it. But I really need something for the differential to make up for the long wheelbase.

Costa

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mountain House, CA
First Name
Costa
Last Name
Etlender
Member #

Yes, one is:
I was going to do this on my old Trooper since I didn't care about aesthetics at all but on my new Forester, it doesn't feel right so I'm thinking of maybe getting a sheet of Kydex and cutting it to fit + holes using a Dremel.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Reactions: NateWW35

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Yes, one is:
I was going to do this on my old Trooper since I didn't care about aesthetics at all but on my new Forester, it doesn't feel right so I'm thinking of maybe getting a sheet of Kydex and cutting it to fit + holes using a Dremel.
I like the premise of putting it over those rear side windows because it is out of the way, they serve absolutely no purpose to me, and my windows are tinted so you wouldn't really be able to see it anyways unless the sun was hitting it just right. I want it to store some standard stuff that I want to keep in the car. Stuff I use a lot more than the need tools or recovery gear (I keep that stuff under the rear floor where the OEM spare and tools used to be). With this, I would have plenty of trunk room for trip-specific items. Like if I'm getting groceries, I wouldn't have flashlights, the first aid kit, and all the other stuff I have in the way. Same premise if I'm going fishing or camping. I keep gear sorted into those plastic milk crate things. I have one for warm weather camping, one for cold weather camping, one for fishing from the shore, one for fishing from the boat, etc, etc, etc. So when I'm about to head out the door, I just grab the tote I need for trip. I like to keep my stuff nice and organized. If I can keep the random gear I always keep in the car off the floor of the trunk, it would be a lot easier for me to load and unload before and after trips.

My backseat is not going to cut it. My 95 lbs Doberman is my co-pilot and she has learned that it is a whole lot safer and more comfortable for her to stay in the backseat. The front seat is too small for her. She has also figured out that it is safer for her to lay down against the rear bench when we are offroad.

Costa

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mountain House, CA
First Name
Costa
Last Name
Etlender
Member #

Oh yes, my original idea was to modify that metal shelf thingy to fit the window I saw some projects of people fitting them on windows just didn't look enough to find it now :)
Same with the DIY Kydex solution, you can make it fit over the window.

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Look for a local shop that does CNC/plasma cutting for signs. 0.093" aluminum (the stuff a lot of signs are made out of) would probably do. 0.125" even better. If you can supply your own material and a design, they usually do it for pretty cheap. A 10th of the price of the ADF one. I made some structural pieces for my grandpa's Airstream out of 3/16 stainless 304 plate using this technique. For a 6x14" piece it cost like $20 bucks!

Reactions: Sasquatch SC

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

$400 is a total rip-off but even worse is it uses tiny sheet metal screws to attach to plastic. WTF?
The rated weight Cary capacity is laughable and sure as heck those screws are going to loosen up.
Yeah... that doesn’t look so good. Here is what we need to do fellow Subaru Overlanders... we need to find someone who does metal work/fabrication & is looking for a way to make money on the side of their normal 9 to 5. We clue him in on the absurd prices that LP & ADF are charging for stuff and how there are a ton of people who want that stuff but aren’t able/not willing to pay their super premium prices for. Then we get him some dimensions or samples of stuff they make for him to imitate or make his own version of. They can then price it well below the big companies and offer it to a niche market, like Subaru owners who want to go off-road. He will then have a steady stream of business at what is still a good profit margin by undercutting the big brand names & selling to an underserved market.

• Love
Reactions: Baipin

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Yeah... that doesn’t look so good. Here is what we need to do fellow Subaru Overlanders... we need to find someone who does metal work/fabrication & is looking for a way to make money on the side of their normal 9 to 5. We clue him in on the absurd prices that LP & ADF are charging for stuff and how there are a ton of people who want that stuff but aren’t able/not willing to pay their super premium prices for. Then we get him some dimensions or samples of stuff they make for him to imitate or make his own version of. They can then price it well below the big companies and offer it to a niche market, like Subaru owners who want to go off-road. He will then have a steady stream of business at what is still a good profit margin by undercutting the big brand names & selling to an underserved market.
Well for what it's worth... I've got all the rear bumper dimensions for a Forester SJ that you'd ever want. ;-) Next up is a DIY skidplate, and I'll surely have plenty of useful measurements from that project as well.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Well for what it's worth... I've got all the rear bumper dimensions for a Forester SJ that you'd ever want. ;-) Next up is a DIY skidplate, and I'll surely have plenty of useful measurements from that project as well.
I’ve got the mounting point dimensions of a LP bumper guard for a gen5 OB.

Wolf427

Rank III

Contributor III

Halton Hills, ON, Canada
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Mancini

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

If you have Netflix, check out Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee: Season 5, Episode 1.
They are driving a VW Thing with a Subaru 2.5 engine swap and the radiator mounted behind the rear seats. It's a real mix of random parts, but it's a beautiful thing. If you've seen the show, the cars don't get as much love as I would like - but it is funny and does have a cool car.

If you don't have Netflix... what's wrong with you? My parents are in their 70's and they have Netflix.

NateWW35

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Denver, Colorado, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
W
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0TXQ
Checking in!

2015 Forester
2inch SUMO Lift
Standard height King Springs
215/75r15 KO2's on Method MR502's
Full skids from Primitive Racing
Pope Overland Expedition RTT
Lots of tools/spares/gear in the trunk

IG: @ thegoatforester
IMG_3660.JPG

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

itsrikka

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Vincennes, IN
First Name
Rikka
Last Name
Lee
Member #

New to OB and overlanding. New-ish Subaru owner. I've had 4 in the last year.

1999 Legacy Wagon - Sold
1994 Legacy Wagon (chopped into a ute) - Sold
1999 Forester L
2002 Forester L

The 99 will be getting sold after it runs through our local Gambler this fall. I picked it up for $500 and haven't done a thing to it.
The 02 is going to be the new daily and the rig. Currently in the process of swapping a new engine into it (rod knock when i bought it) and planning on actually taking it out sometime next month.

Pics below!

99 Legacy
99l.PNG

94 Legacy Ute
uteymcboatface.PNG

99 Foz
66297271_703459306837060_2823368763975239537_n.jpg

02 Foz
02foz.PNG

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
New to OB and overlanding. New-ish Subaru owner. I've had 4 in the last year.

1999 Legacy Wagon - Sold
1994 Legacy Wagon (chopped into a ute) - Sold
1999 Forester L
2002 Forester L

The 99 will be getting sold after it runs through our local Gambler this fall. I picked it up for $500 and haven't done a thing to it.
The 02 is going to be the new daily and the rig. Currently in the process of swapping a new engine into it (rod knock when i bought it) and planning on actually taking it out sometime next month.

Pics below!

99 Legacy
View attachment 111149

94 Legacy Ute
View attachment 111150

99 Foz
View attachment 111151

02 Foz
View attachment 111152
If you have any more pictures of the Legacy "Ute", definitely throw that into the Oddball Rigs thread! :laughing: