Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
That's impressive. I've got 225/65R17's on my 2010 Foz and it's definitely the largest I can go.

Getting those on there required a small amount of wheel well liner shaving in the front to avoid scrubbing when about halfway between straight and full lock. And the tops of the front tires clear the spring perches on the struts by maybe a centimeter.

And in the rear we actually had to take an angle grinder and ball peen hammer to the front fender seam. When it was in proper balance after the lift, springs, tires, adjustable camber arms, etc the tires were literally touching the fender seam (resting hard against it actually). After grinding some slits in the seam and hammering it up against the wheel well, it's now got plenty of room (and is still structurally sound). :tearsofjoy:

Logan Hall

Rank II

Enthusiast III

So I’m in a position where I need to replace my front struts and springs. I will probably be doing the tears as well, just not immediately. Anyone have any info on what brand or type I should go with? All I’m seeing pretty much are KYBs. I saw Blistein B6s on Rallitek, but They’re a bit pricier. Not sure if it’s worth that extra cash

Hobie01

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

El Dorado County, CA, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Hoberman
Member #

So I’m in a position where I need to replace my front struts and springs. I will probably be doing the tears as well, just not immediately. Anyone have any info on what brand or type I should go with? All I’m seeing pretty much are KYBs. I saw Blistein B6s on Rallitek, but They’re a bit pricier. Not sure if it’s worth that extra cash
depends what you are trying to do, check this out: RalliTEK vs. King Springs | RalliTEK - Blog

I used Rallitek springs on stock struts for a little bit more clearance and more rigidity.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

depends what you are trying to do, check this out: RalliTEK vs. King Springs | RalliTEK - Blog

I used Rallitek springs on stock struts for a little bit more clearance and more rigidity.
The complete strut & spring assemblies offered by RalliTek are a solid deal. I wish I would have given them more consideration before I swapped it all out. Hindsight is 20/20, but I have learned a lot more about my suspension.

I run RalliTek springs on the front and King springs on the rear with the Bilstein's on all 4 corners. I deleted my rear sway bar to get more suspension flex on the trail (less 3-wheel action) and the stiffer King springs makes up for some of the on-road mannerisms that were sacrificed with that delete. I can't throw the car into hard curves at speed on the road like when I had the rear sway bar still on, but the springs have helped reduce the extra body roll I gained when I took off the bar.

Now... if only I could commit to the TORQ automatic locking differential I will be able to really get into some mountain goat action.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
I can't compare them to RalliTek, since I've never owned any, but I run King springs on my 2010 Foz and they've been great. I'm also running a 2" lift though (it's the lift kit that includes the King springs from Primitive Racing), so I'm likely benefitting from the stiffer springs more than someone would who was running less or no lift.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Reactions: DoubleA_FL

Logan Hall

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Thanks for your guys input! After talking with a guy from ADF today, I ended up ordering stock height king springs all around and KYB struts for the front and rear.
FYI I was able to find the springs cheapest from Primitive racing. The struts I found cheapest from Rock Auto. They offered the KYB front struts assembled minus the springs. But I like to get a bit of grease on my hands so I can’t imagine it’ll be too much of a big deal.

Wasn’t expecting this large of a purchase for someone on a relatively low budget, but I think it’ll turn out all right. Definitely gonna be looking to ADF on the lift when I go for it. The guy seemed very knowledgeable over the phone.
No offense to the other companies, but he definitely seemed to be able to answer my questions much better than the people I spoke to at Rallitek or Primitive a few months ago.

Hobie01

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Hoberman
Member #

Thanks for your guys input! After talking with a guy from ADF today, I ended up ordering stock height king springs all around and KYB struts for the front and rear.
FYI I was able to find the springs cheapest from Primitive racing. The struts I found cheapest from Rock Auto. They offered the KYB front struts assembled minus the springs. But I like to get a bit of grease on my hands so I can’t imagine it’ll be too much of a big deal.

Wasn’t expecting this large of a purchase for someone on a relatively low budget, but I think it’ll turn out all right. Definitely gonna be looking to ADF on the lift when I go for it. The guy seemed very knowledgeable over the phone.
No offense to the other companies, but he definitely seemed to be able to answer my questions much better than the people I spoke to at Rallitek or Primitive a few months ago.
i talked to rallitek and they were helpful to a point. gave opinions and direction more than actual details and what i was looking for. LP for sure was more detailed in their response. i chose rallitek springs as a starting place. i thought it was silly to just get a bushing or spacer kit to lift the body before i did anything suspension wise. my back end was sagging with the RTT and gear loaded up and now there is NO sag even fully loaded. its an amazing upgrade considering. in the end it's all wonderful and fun and a big benefit over stock. im not loyal to any brand other than subaru lol. when the time comes im likely going with ADF as well for the lift. but rallitek has been slowly adding parts and whatnot for my 19 forester. we will see.

for the install, the struts in the front were WAY easier to get off than the rear. youtube was my friend. super thankful my coworker helped me (i helped him in all honesty). we needed to get a different spring compressor as the one he had seized up on us. harbor freight, 30$. win.

have fun and enjoy the new ride!

Poconosteve

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Delaware Water Gap, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jordan
Member #

Some really sweet builds here. Some I recognize some are new to me. This is my ‘10 Forester 5speed. Suspension and lift are up next. So far Sparco, Cooper 215/70-16, Kart boy short throw, nameless 5” with Bosal mid pope, primitive front and rear, SSD light bar, some cheap amazon LED’s up front. No one in my family wanted the old girl it was my wife’s and she was done with it so here we are. It’s been so much fun to play with. Been picking away at stuff as I mod. Just did timing belt and water pump, head gaskets, fresh pads and rotors along with fluid. Next will be suspension and lift then fresh clutch kit and flywheel and I sure do like the locker rear. Just made my list as well. Glad to be here.

Attachments

DoubleA_FL

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Florida, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
DoubleA
Member #

ADF is the real deal for sure, if I did anything to my Outback it would be ADF for sure. Sounds awesome, cant wait to hear how you like your new parts!

Reactions: Logan Hall

Hobie01

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Hoberman
Member #

Some really sweet builds here. Some I recognize some are new to me. This is my ‘10 Forester 5speed. Suspension and lift are up next. So far Sparco, Cooper 215/70-16, Kart boy short throw, nameless 5” with Bosal mid pope, primitive front and rear, SSD light bar, some cheap amazon LED’s up front. No one in my family wanted the old girl it was my wife’s and she was done with it so here we are. It’s been so much fun to play with. Been picking away at stuff as I mod. Just did timing belt and water pump, head gaskets, fresh pads and rotors along with fluid. Next will be suspension and lift then fresh clutch kit and flywheel and I sure do like the locker rear. Just made my list as well. Glad to be here.
How do you like the SSD light bar, ive been considering that. nice build!

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Anyone have an opinion on LP Adventure vs. Primitive Skid plates for a Gen5 2019 Subaru Outback?
I really want the LP but am having a real hard time justifying why they are more than twice the price w/ shipping and their $120 washers.
I prefer Primitive because I’d rather install 2 smaller plates and only have to drop 1 when I change the oil vs 1 giant plate.

Reactions: Sasquatch SC

Hobie01

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Hoberman
Member #

Im looking at some under plating, any opinions? i softroad more than anything and am not going too insane in my forester but after a weekend on the dirt i see the value of some protection. a friend suggested i go with the subaru plates and their differential plate. i like how they are cheaper than one skid plate from any of the other companies out there and seem pretty reasonable for protecting the crucial bits. I just did henness pass and that was rather easy but there were a few points id like a bit more coverage underneath. what do yall think?

henness pass 1.JPG