Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Apparently it started to come up on him doing 70mph one day. It does latch, he just doesn't trust it any more.
Definitely better safe than sorry. Although I think if I was traveling at 70mph in that thing, the hood would be the least of my concerns. :laughing:

itsrikka

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Vincennes, IN
First Name
Rikka
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Yeah. I'd be more worried about the shitty welds of the angle iron holding the whole thing together. Wonder who did that? definitely not me.

• Haha
Reactions: Jeffrey Dill

Ballard Outback

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ballard, Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Adam
Member #

My OB is a Touring and part of the purchase I got the dealer to throw in the Thule boots and crossbars. Can I put a wider set of crossbars onto the boots?

I thought all Touring models came with the racks, at least mine did without even a conversation? Thule makes a wider bar too, I think it was about 4” more last time I looked.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

I thought all Touring models came with the racks, at least mine did without even a conversation? Thule makes a wider bar too, I think it was about 4” more last time I looked.
No, the touring models come with the Thule rails - it's up to the dealer if they want to put the crossbar on as an adder or not. All the other models come with that fold out crossbar built in.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Desperate for help here guys. I messed up & cross threaded the lugs on my front driver side wheel. I got them off, unbolted the brake caliper, removed the hub, knocked the stripped studs out & replaced them. Now I’m ready to put Humpty Dumpty back together again, but I can’t get the brake caliper back on. What have I screwed up now & how can I fix it? I’ve got my car on a jackstand in the yard.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Desperate for help here guys. I messed up & cross threaded the lugs on my front driver side wheel. I got them off, unbolted the brake caliper, removed the hub, knocked the stripped studs out & replaced them. Now I’m ready to put Humpty Dumpty back together again, but I can’t get the brake caliper back on. What have I screwed up now & how can I fix it? I’ve got my car on a jackstand in the yard.
Disregard... the Appalachia Wander Wagon rides again.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Did you forget to compress the caliper fully? Sometimes I think I’ve got it all the way in but it still goes another 1/8” or so.
That was a lot of my problem. That thin aluminum pad guides then got in the way & was screeching. I don’t understand the point of those things. 1 firm pull w/ a pair of vice grips and it was no longer in the way. I lost a day of trail exploring - but now I know a lot more about the mechanics of my wheel hub assembly & brake system.

ADVTouring

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Great Smoky Mountains, United States
First Name
Damien
Last Name
Meredith
Member #

Check in>
Greetings from the Smokies.

2015 Forester 2.5L ( Shilo )IMG_0461.jpgIMG_1927.jpg
-Primitive Triple Armor
-BFGoodrich KO2's
-Magnaflow Muffler w/ resonator delete.
-Uniden Bearcat SSB (breaker breaker)
-First aid kit and Tool pouch are always a work in progress.

Thanks for having me, I will be posting updates as I add amenities to the rig.

Hobie01

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

El Dorado County, CA, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Hoberman
Member #

I did it! I put rallitek springs in all four struts! Overload in the back and oe height in front. It's super nice! Also snagged some bfg ko2 (225/65/17).

IMG_5605.JPG
IMG_5613.JPG

I wasn't sure what to expect. Rallitek says about half an inch gain but it's closer to an inch. Ride is very nice. It's noticably more rigid.

IMG_5597.JPG
IMG_5586.JPG

Thanks to my coworker for helping me. John, if youre reading this your OB welcome kit was delivered and youre about to post about your outback. Haha!

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
I did it! I put rallitek springs in all four struts! Overload in the back and oe height in front. It's super nice! Also snagged some bfg ko2 (225/65/17).

View attachment 118307
View attachment 118308

I wasn't sure what to expect. Rallitek says about half an inch gain but it's closer to an inch. Ride is very nice. It's noticably more rigid.

View attachment 118309
View attachment 118310

Thanks to my coworker for helping me. John, if youre reading this your OB welcome kit was delivered and youre about to post about your outback. Haha!
Very nice! It's amazing how much of a difference a set of good aftermarket springs can make.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

So I'm planning WAY ahead for a 4k mile round trip out west and back this time next year - hitting parks and forests in both directions. I'm making a list for upgrades and I wanted to get opinions and thoughts or if I am forgetting anything.

2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring

Current Set-up
  • 2" ReadyLift Spacers
  • 17x8 Sport Edition P3 Wheels wrapped in 29.5" Kuhmo AT51's
  • RalliTek Adjustable Front End Links
  • RalliTek 0" Front Springs
  • King 0.4" Rear Springs
  • Deleted Rear Sway Bar
  • Class III Hitch Receiver
  • Wilco Hitchgate Spare Tire Carrier
  • Rally Innovations Front Rally Bar w/ (2) Hella 500 lights
  • Thule AeroBlade Crossbars
  • Thule Canyon XT Roof Basket w/ (4) 5" spot/flood lights forward facing, (1) 4" flood light pod port, (1) 4" flood light pod starboard, (2) 4" flood lights rear facing
  • Primitive Skidplates (front, transmission & rear differential)
  • CB & GMRS Base Stations (36" CB antenna, 6 dB gain GMRS antenna)
  • Perrin Intake
  • ARB Bushranger Exhaust Operated Jack
  • Imitation MaxTrax
  • Amazon high volume air compressor
  • Rhino Tow Strap & Shackles
  • Gazelle T3 tent, misc. backpacking meal gear, Yeti cooler.
  • Gunbunker GS-1 safe in the center console for the little bangs, SecureIt Tactical Model 40 in the rear for the big booms.
Plans:
  • Install (2) AGM 6volt batteries in series where the spare used to live. I don't want to tie it into the vehicles existing electrical system. I'd like to charge them using a combination of trickle charger from the 12v outlet in the trunk and a solar charger.
  • Remove the Canyon XT basket and swap in a Front Runner rack. Add lights, mounts for propane, water can, and maybe (2) 5 gallon fuel cans, storage boxes
  • Some kind of fridge system, less flimsy camp kitchen gear
  • Rock Sliders (I'd like the LP set, but the Primitive set is more affordable)
  • Primitive hidden winch mount with the WARN VRX 45-S winch w/ synthetic line
Possibilities:
  • TORQ Locker - automatic locking differential
  • Don't hate me for this - but I've always thought a snorkel would look bad ass. I don't want the check engine light to be perpetually on. Is it possible to do an install on one without the CEL being on?
82ybv9wtctl31.jpg

Hobie01

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

El Dorado County, CA, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Hoberman
Member #

Very nice! It's amazing how much of a difference a set of good aftermarket springs can make.
Its day and night. really excited to see how much better the days on the trails are going to be. on road is very nice. planning a few trips before winter now that i'm not terrified of my stock tires. wired up a dashcam in the front and back, bolted my old garmin to the car, i'm ready to go! next year i have a few plans. skid plates and a full sized spare with a way to hitch mount it (aside of the insanely expensive wilco types), and perhaps a performance part if the budget allows. loving the 2019 forester.

Kaiser

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

CT
Hear, hear. I had no idea how bad my struts had gotten until I installed 4 news ones today (Rallitek 0" lift overload springs on Bilstein B6 shocks). It feels like a whole new car. No more crashing over potholes, side to side head-shaking over seemingly even roads, or the disconcerting side-step in uneven corners.

Since the car was in the shop anyway I had the Falken Wildpeaks installed too (thanks to Wawa Skittletits for the recommendation!). I'm looking forward to seeing how they do compared to my previous AT tires (Hankook Dynapros and Conti TerrainContacts). I'm considering going back to my old process next year, though, of throwing a dedicated set of winter tires on the Outback from late fall til early spring. I still have a set of wheels from the STi that'll fit the Outback, so the only cost would be the tires.

Spreading the wear load like that used to extend the life my summer tires on the STi, LGT, and WRX significantly (not surprising), and there's no denying that after the first year of use my ATs just won't have the same winter traction they had back when they were new. They'll be fine for a while, sure, but not great.

Btw, martin_j001, what did you wind up going with to replace your TerrainContacts? I know you and I had very similar experiences (CN for everyone else: Great tire in nearly all conditions, but man did they wear down fast).

Attachments

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Hear, hear. I had no idea how bad my struts had gotten until I installed 4 news ones today (Rallitek 0" lift overload springs on Bilstein B6 shocks). It feels like a whole new car. No more crashing over potholes, side to side head-shaking over seemingly even roads, or the disconcerting side-step in uneven corners.

Since the car was in the shop anyway I had the Falken Wildpeaks installed too (thanks to Wawa Skittletits for the recommendation!). I'm looking forward to seeing how they do compared to my previous AT tires (Hankook Dynapros and Conti TerrainContacts). I'm considering going back to my old process next year, though, of throwing a dedicated set of winter tires on the Outback from late fall til early spring. I still have a set of wheels from the STi that'll fit the Outback, so the only cost would be the tires.

Spreading the wear load like that used to extend the life my summer tires on the STi, LGT, and WRX significantly (not surprising), and there's no denying that after the first year of use my ATs just won't have the same winter traction they had back when they were new. They'll be fine for a while, sure, but not great.

Btw, martin_j001, what did you wind up going with to replace your TerrainContacts? I know you and I had very similar experiences (CN for everyone else: Great tire in nearly all conditions, but man did they wear down fast).
What size Wildpeaks did you go with? It looks like you've got ample space between the tire and the spring perch on the strut.

Kaiser

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

CT
Same as my previous tires (the TerrainContacts): 245/65 17. That's on a 2" LPA lift, fwiw, but interestingly enough I'm getting a very slight amount of rubbing on the wheel well liner at certain extreme wheel angles (i.e., turning around in my driveway).

It's been nearly two years since I had the TerrainContacts installed, so I don't recall if those rubbed a bit as well for a short time, or whether the Wildpeaks' more aggressive tread is the culprit this time. Either way it seems to be a matter of microns -- I expect it'll disappear once the tires wear just a slight bit.