Subaru Owners Registry

• HTML tutorial

krzyboy2o

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

San Jose, CA
Member #

I am new to this forum but I plan to start overlanding our 2017 outback, I hope to run into a few of you fellow Subie Overlanders out on the trail! So far our outback is stock but here in the near future it should be getting some offroad upgrades.
Welcome! Take out your reading glasses there’s a TON of info here! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yabbaz

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Richmond, VA
Member #

Here's my 2002 forester S. Got them heated seats baby!!! My next "upgrade" from my explorer. These are my first set of wheels and tires in this pic. 2" lift on the way as well as new wheels and tires cuz these just won't cut it lol (thanks black friday deals). Stole my ARB 2500 awning off my explorer, bought this cargo box for $30 off craigslist, and got a 12" LEDConcepts light bar mounted on the front (now with amber covers). Got some wood for my rear drawer/fridge setup, and a few other things coming as well, including a full solar setup. This one is being prepped for cross country, full-time travel. Can't wait. I have aspirations to run the trans-american highway in the next 2 years.

max.grun

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Turlock, California
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSE
I am enjoying seeing all the builds in this thread. Plenty of info and possible ideas to consider.

This is my '12 Outback. Completely stock with the exception of the tow hitch I added. It takes me fishing and every where else i need to go. Hope to use it to new fishing and camping next year.

I plan on the first mod to be a set of tires.

Attachments

OrTrek

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salem, Oregon
Member #

To fozroamer: On the various Crosstrek/Forester forums your setup is gold. But I have never seen a reason you went from Leadfoot to Frenetic (sp?). Why? Crosstreks have no options and with a 18 approach angle it is becoming a deal breaker with me. Any options you see? Or anyone chime in. Thx.

Reactions: Rocky

HudsonZRoamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington, USA
First Name
Harley
Last Name
W
Member #

To fozroamer: On the various Crosstrek/Forester forums your setup is gold. But I have never seen a reason you went from Leadfoot to Frenetic (sp?). Why? Crosstreks have no options and with a 18 approach angle it is becoming a deal breaker with me. Any options you see? Or anyone chime in. Thx.
Was having heating issues with the Leadfoot designed one and they didn’t want to help me resolve the issue I had a falling out with them because of this. They are a Jeep shop that doesn’t understand the dynamics involved in a turbo Subaru engine, Frenetic on the other hand are big time Subaru enthusiasts and happen to be fabricators. The owner of Frenetic comes from the Subaru performance world but has also been off-roading razors and the like for years. I’ve had various people reach out to me that have Leadfoot bumpers built for their Subarus reporting the exact same heating issues I was experiencing with their design. They are simply not allowing enough airflow and overbuilding the bumpers for many Subaru setups. They are basically putting Jeep bumpers on Subarus. I’m not one to bash companies through social media but for those that ask why I switched I’m very blunt and honest about everything. Hope that answers your question.

Last edited:

Rocky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Loveland, Colorado
Member #

Was having heating issues with the Leadfoot designed one and they didn’t want to help me resolve the issue I had a falling out with them because of this. They are a Jeep shop that doesn’t understand the dynamics involved in a turbo Subaru engine, Frenetic on the other hand are big time Subaru enthusiasts and happen to be fabricators. The owner of Frenetic comes from the Subaru performance world but has also been off-roading razors and the like for years. I’ve had various people reach out to me that have Leadfoot bumpers built for their Subarus reporting the exact same heating issues I was experiencing with their design. They are simply not allowing enough airflow and overbuilding the bumpers for many Subaru drivers. They are basically putting Jeep bumpers on Subarus. I’m not one to bash companies through social media but for those that ask why I switched I’m very blunt and honest about everything. Hope that answers your question.
Do they have a web site?

OrTrek

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salem, Oregon
Member #

Thanks FozRoamer, that does answer my question and I appreciate the candor.

Also this is a great forum, providing information that is more relevant to my needs and desires than the standard Subie/Jeep forums. Thx.

Rubyredfozzy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Fort Mitchell, AL, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Welch
Member #

I recently purchased a 2017 forester. No mods yet but after my deployment i have plans. I want to fabricate some armor myself and plan to get the ADF lift and many other additions. I am glad to be in the OB family and even more happy to fint the subaru section. Thankyou @wawaskittletits

Rubyredfozzy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Fort Mitchell, AL, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Welch
Member #

Was having heating issues with the Leadfoot designed one and they didn’t want to help me resolve the issue I had a falling out with them because of this. They are a Jeep shop that doesn’t understand the dynamics involved in a turbo Subaru engine, Frenetic on the other hand are big time Subaru enthusiasts and happen to be fabricators. The owner of Frenetic comes from the Subaru performance world but has also been off-roading razors and the like for years. I’ve had various people reach out to me that have Leadfoot bumpers built for their Subarus reporting the exact same heating issues I was experiencing with their design. They are simply not allowing enough airflow and overbuilding the bumpers for many Subaru setups. They are basically putting Jeep bumpers on Subarus. I’m not one to bash companies through social media but for those that ask why I switched I’m very blunt and honest about everything. Hope that answers your question.
I am glad you posted this. I was in the market to get something built and now i know some issues to look for. Through your experience and trials ive now got a better idea what to do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY

Sadly the 2001 ate a rod bearing and is waiting to be sold as a parts car. Only had her 11 weeks. It was fun to have a manual Outback, but what can you do. Just got a new trans in the 2010, and we’re taking it on the Trans Wisconsin Trail in June.

DK_XV

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Easton, WA
Member #

Hello Subie enthusiasts!

I was pointed this direction by @OrTrek to post some pics and link to my build Journal of my former 2016 Desert Khaki 5sp Manual Crosstrek 2.0i. This is an external link to SubaruXVForum.
http://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/subaru-xv-members-journal/104489-dx_xvs-subaroo.html

I still check in on my thread and replies there so feel free to chat on there or here on OB.

A little backstory - I picked up my Crosstrek in June last year as a nice affordable daily driver that could handle some of the many forest roads around my place. It quickly grew on me and I was bitten by the battlewagon bug pretty hard.

What inspired my build was to make a really functional scouting vehicle/day tripper, to explore the surrounding area forests and mountains in summer and just as capably in winter. Oh, and it needed to do 36k miles a year as I have a far commute, so mods couldn't come at a huge usability penalty for fuel mileage, comfort, parking, and still maintain a great driving dynamic. Because getting to the trails, up windy paved switchbacks, should be half the fun as well!

I pretty much logged everything in that car, and tried to document all my modifications with part numbers and names where I could. I did the best I could to build an affordable, reliable, and really fun rig, as I would love to see a bunch of people go out and have fun with their subies.

Unfortunately, I had a really short time with “Scout.” Its inevitable replacement, A Colorado Diesel, was in the future once I was able to make a deal happen. So a about a year after I picked up the plucky little bugger, I gave up the keys to a dually pickup and truck camper, and with a very heavy sigh, to Scout. But I am happy to report, it’s with a new owner who’s having fun.

My personal overland journey continues in the build of my 2017 Colorado Diesel Thread.

Summary of mods to my Adventure Scouting Crosstrek!

Interior
Outback Leather Steering Wheel Swap
5sp STI Leather and Aluminum Shift Knob
STI pedal set
3d MAXPider Floor mats
Auto Dimming Mirror with Compass
Dog grate for cargo area
Stereo Upgrade – Speakers, tweeters, Head unit, Amp, Subwoofer
LED Interior lights
RedLine Goods Leather shifter and e-brake boots
Cargo nets
STI Leather E-brake handle