Subaru Owners Registry

• HTML tutorial

OrTrek

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salem, Oregon
Member #

Thanks DK_XV for posting your build on this generation Crosstrek. And boy your past Trek is close to mine - I also have the WRX "butt plug" .

Some questions:
1. Reason you went with the Mann springs over the Kings? The Mann's seem to have a following with the Crosstrek forum members, but I would like your take on the reason as you must have been one of the first to go with Mann.
2. I see you didn't replace the rear OEM "pogo stick" shocks. I assume because you did this mod while your Trek was new. Did the spring/ADF lift help eliminate the annoying "bounce" (it seems the 2018 Treks have eliminated this issue)? Also did you (or the new owner) have any issues with rear shock extensions?

Thanks again. Now if I or anyone could figure out a way to gain some approach angle with these Subaru's I could part with my Jeep (no I would never do that!!).

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky

DK_XV

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Easton, WA
Member #

Thanks DK_XV for posting your build on this generation Crosstrek. And boy your past Trek is close to mine - I also have the WRX "butt plug" .

Some questions:
1. Reason you went with the Mann springs over the Kings? The Mann's seem to have a following with the Crosstrek forum members, but I would like your take on the reason as you must have been one of the first to go with Mann.
2. I see you didn't replace the rear OEM "pogo stick" shocks. I assume because you did this mod while your Trek was new. Did the spring/ADF lift help eliminate the annoying "bounce" (it seems the 2018 Treks have eliminated this issue)? Also did you (or the new owner) have any issues with rear shock extensions?

Thanks again. Now if I or anyone could figure out a way to gain some approach angle with these Subaru's I could part with my Jeep (no I would never do that!!).
I went with the Mann springs because they were a lift spring vs a spring rate change with the king's.

Also the spacer pushes down on the whole strut assembly, maxing out suspention geometry. So basically done to prevent additional wear and tear on things.

As far as bounce goes, I think the rear was still springy, but I always found a bouncy rear end fun (drove a lot of pickups) but it never felt out of whack.

And for the rear, with the shock extender from primitive racing, that stopped the rear shock from overextending and clunking.

Considering it was all done in an afternoon in my garage, fit and finish came out like stock, and I really don't recall any sloppiness or extra noises from all of it.

Sent from my PH-1 using OB Talk mobile app

Mgway1

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Leonardtown, Maryland
Member #

Hi, i was directed to this thread for a request for separate make threads. But this should be good, as long as it is used often. I bought a 2000 subaru outback last October. Since the i have been dumping money into her, not for upgrades sadly, lol. She has been mistreated for years, and I am fixing a lot of problems. Currently rebuilt the heads and am replacing the head gaskets. Already replaced the front brakes (drilled and slotted rotors with carbon ceramic pads), new cv joints, new radiator, all hoses, and a bunch of other little pet peeves. My plan is to get everything going for some nice camping trips with my oldest son this spring, summer, and fall. Plan on doing a 1in lift and get a roof rack next. I want to get meatier tires, but the car came with damn near brand new michelins, so that will have to do for now.

This is my fourth subaru, but this is the first time I am looking at going off road. My buddy and I joined Overland Bound to get more into it, because we both just want to get away, lol.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

Hello Subaru enthusiasts. Here's our first Subaru, a 2017 FXT, purchased a month ago. It's my wife's daily driver. I'm thinking about getting her a membership and getting her badged. We still haven't taken her on her maiden adventure yet, but it's coming soon.

So far we have 235/60R17 Cooper Discovery ATs and a K&N air filter.

I'm loooking forward to seeing you all on the trails and at the meets.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Sweet!!! My old Outback’s wheels came from an FXT. I sure miss that OBXT some days. And the WRX Wagon, too!

You and Mrs NCC can share a member number if you’d like. All you would need then is a duplicate badge in the Member Store.

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

Sweet!!! My old Outback’s wheels came from an FXT. I sure miss that OBXT some days. And the WRX Wagon, too!

You and Mrs NCC can share a member number if you’d like. All you would need then is a duplicate badge in the Member Store.
That's what I'm thinking, because she probably wouldn't be active on the forums as much as me.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Hi, i was directed to this thread for a request for separate make threads. But this should be good, as long as it is used often. I bought a 2000 subaru outback last October. Since the i have been dumping money into her, not for upgrades sadly, lol. She has been mistreated for years, and I am fixing a lot of problems. Currently rebuilt the heads and am replacing the head gaskets. Already replaced the front brakes (drilled and slotted rotors with carbon ceramic pads), new cv joints, new radiator, all hoses, and a bunch of other little pet peeves. My plan is to get everything going for some nice camping trips with my oldest son this spring, summer, and fall. Plan on doing a 1in lift and get a roof rack next. I want to get meatier tires, but the car came with damn near brand new michelins, so that will have to do for now.

This is my fourth subaru, but this is the first time I am looking at going off road. My buddy and I joined Overland Bound to get more into it, because we both just want to get away, lol.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Welcome! I'm always glad to see another Subaru looking to get dirty. Outside of OB we have Mtn Roo Mid-Atlantic and Northeast chapters in our region. These are great mainly Subaru groups that like to take their cars off road. Some are very stock and others are far from it but when we plan an event we try to accommodate everyone. The meets are a great opportunity to get out and have fun while learning your Subaru surrounded by people who know how to handle them in all sorts of conditions. Its also great to see OB members at these events because we share similar interests. Good luck with your wagon and always feel free to ask questions!

Hello Subaru enthusiasts. Here's our first Subaru, a 2017 FXT, purchased a month ago. It's my wife's daily driver. I'm thinking about getting her a membership and getting her badged. We still haven't taken her on her maiden adventure yet, but it's coming soon.

So far we have 235/60R17 Cooper Discovery ATs and a K&N air filter.

I'm loooking forward to seeing you all on the trails and at the meets.
Looking good! Try not to fall in love with the Forester when you learn how much fun and versatile Subaru's are off road hahaha!

Ian McAdorey

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Syracuse, NY 13219, USA
First Name
Ian
Last Name
McAdorey
Member #

Over 20k miles lifted and counting. Fingers crossed haha.
Thats impressive. So that puts you at 3.25 in the front and 3.75 in the rear? Any issues with your struts in the front or shocks in the rear? I am running into some gnarly issues with my rear shocks at 4" on my 2000. Pat Anderson has been of negative help with regards to the situation

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Thats impressive. So that puts you at 3.25 in the front and 3.75 in the rear? Any issues with your struts in the front or shocks in the rear? I am running into some gnarly issues with my rear shocks at 4" on my 2000. Pat Anderson has been of negative help with regards to the situation
Correct. Are you referring to the dampers topping out? The rear dampers are definitely lacking in the droop department but it isn't a problem. I'll probably be interested in the damper spacers from Rallitek when they give them the green light though.

Ian McAdorey

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Syracuse, NY 13219, USA
First Name
Ian
Last Name
McAdorey
Member #

I haven't had any damper issues, but I have had worse. The lower perch that holds the coil in place keeps failing when the car is flexing to one side, thus causing the perch to blow out and the car to sit on the floor with no rear suspension. It has happened on trails and even normal roads; one pot hole a little too deep and it renders my car completely useless.

Pat says that it isn't his fault, and tries to up-sell me on a $2k set of coilovers

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Welcome to the reason we call it Subaru weather @NorCalCrisp haha.

5C362EC4-CAB0-45DD-937F-8423869EEE82.jpeg

I haven't had any damper issues, but I have had worse. The lower perch that holds the coil in place keeps failing when the car is flexing to one side, thus causing the perch to blow out and the car to sit on the floor with no rear suspension. It has happened on trails and even normal roads; one pot hole a little too deep and it renders my car completely useless.

Pat says that it isn't his fault, and tries to up-sell me on a $2k set of coilovers
Aaahhhh... the pressed on perch issue. You’ll be pleased to learn that the rear is still pressed on in the new cars. Have you considered the collars to help combat the issue?

OrTrek

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salem, Oregon
Member #

So this guy on the SubaruXV forum (Ryno) is installing a Flat4x4 rear bumper on his Crosstrek. Looks REALLY good. The company doing it is pretty small. But I see a couple of you (Wawa and Fozroamer) looking at the product on their instagram.

Really for me I am looking at his front bumper, which seems to make some sense design wise (lower air feed). Any thoughts on Flat4x4's design Wawa or Fozroamer or anyone else that is a hell of lot smarter than me?

Last edited:

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Well @OrTrek.. I had to go look at the front bumper because I’ve only seen the rear one. It looks like it’s clean and as well thought out as the rear one. It’s impossible to speculate but considering there hasn’t been a design change it appears to be allowing enough flow for at least their daily driving. I can’t say what kind of temps or what kind of hard driving they might have done to really test it in that regard. I can say that those are pretty big holes and that they could potentially invite unwanted debris. Have you reached out to them with questions?

OrTrek

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salem, Oregon
Member #

No WaWa I have not reached out to them yet - but I will. And I agree on your insight on the "holes" in the front. But I do like that he is testing it on his own rig before bringing it out. The issues I have with the Crosstrek (all Subies) is:
1. No low range - The EU had this option up to the new 2018's.
2. No locking diffs - even the Rav 4's and Kia Sportages for Gods sake have this. And most importantly:
3. Deal breaker - approach angle (departure and break over angles actually aren't bad).

Running the Trek all over the country (25K a year), Subaru's front ends just don't allow their great AWD to excel. I am (was) close to just saying "use my Jeep" and drive the Crosstrek to pick up some 3 buck chuck at Trader Joes (: . Thx for your input - you always have good information and insight.

Last edited: