Subaru Owners Registry

• HTML tutorial

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
You guys that are running roof racks with spare, cans, jacks etc how bad was your drop in mileage? I have a cherokee I put everything on the roof and killed mileage. Not sure I want to go that way with my Outback.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
You guys that are running roof racks with spare, cans, jacks etc how bad was your drop in mileage? I have a cherokee I put everything on the roof and killed mileage. Not sure I want to go that way with my Outback.
With the lift and everything else I'm down a minimum of 7 mpg on the highway. Sad to say that 10 would be a safe number.

I put a roof top tent on my Forester and lost a mile or two on the freeway, basically nothing on city streets though.
That's pretty impressive..

krzyboy2o

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

San Jose, CA
Member #

I put a roof top tent on my Forester and lost a mile or two on the freeway, basically nothing on city streets though.
Nice! Which one did u go with? Pics please. If u hear some one honking at you, it'll be me! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
when i put the rack on i lost about 1-2 mpg. When i have it loaded with coolers and water cans etc. i lose about another 2 mpg.

Reactions: buckwilk

krzyboy2o

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Nice! Mine loves it, it took some time to get her to agree, but once we got it hooked up and open she was totally sold.
Gotta do a South Bay meet up soon. I'd love to check out your RTT. What roof rails did get?

Been eyeing iKamper after seeing a YouTube video form Overland Expo West recently.

odingrey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Thule if I remember, the square ones. Aero doesn't quite cut it, the square ones just barely made the weight. I have the stock bars up there too, but they aren't hooked up to anything.

odingrey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

I'll also be at the meet up in a couple weeks in Longmont. Also Tepui is in Santa Cruz I think if you wanna go check out what they have.

Gotta do a South Bay meet up soon. I'd love to check out your RTT. What roof rails did get?

Been eyeing iKamper after seeing a YouTube video form Overland Expo West recently.

Last edited:

WhiskeyIsMySpiritAnimal

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Scottsdale AZ
Member #

Nice! If you haven't yet, check out the Apache trail, it's just up the street from you. When we lived in Phoenix, we went up there a few times. There's also a pretty good campground on it.
Thanks! We've driven the length of it several times in the Forester. Now with the Outback we have an excuse to do it again. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

GypsyTreker

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

IMG_20170605_110848422.jpg IMG_20170605_110848422.jpg For those with CrossTreks......Just got back from a 40 Day roadtrip dragging our Aliner Scout. It was just under the mfg tow limit and pulled fine up and over the Rockies on 164 (10k elev). We used our manual paddle shifters (mostly 3rd and 4th gear) and little more than downshifting on the backsides. Avg MPG about 22. Never came close to overheating. These tow great!!

Attachments

The_Tactical_Tony

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

California
First Name
Antonio
Last Name
Molina
View attachment 30712 View attachment 30712 For those with CrossTreks......Just got back from a 40 Day roadtrip dragging our Aliner Scout. It was just under the mfg tow limit and pulled fine up and over the Rockies on 164 (10k elev). We used our manual paddle shifters (mostly 3rd and 4th gear) and little more than downshifting on the backsides. Avg MPG about 22. Never came close to overheating. These tow great!!
What were your avg speeds? The tow rating is usually including gear and people. For the vehicle to have such low torque and HP, I just have a hard time believing it did the trip without issues. I usually carry gear in my car with an RTT on top, I have a manual XV, and when heading into the Sierra in CA, the pass up to Mammoth always makes me drop into 3rd and I can barely keep 60mph. I know I am not even half of the two capacity and it has issues. Have you done any upgrades to the XV, trans cooler, bigger fans, etc. That kind of climb in the XV is just really hard to believe...

odingrey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

My Outback build is coming right along. 2" ADF lift, roof rack, Added electrical plug ins, CB, hitch and rear tire carrier. So much more to do. King Springs, skid plates, front protection bat from LP, lights.....
There goes the budget.
Oh man do I have questions for you.

ADF lift, you like it? I saw from your build thread you had ADF install it, would you mind sharing the price with installation?

Electrical plugins. That looks like the back of the center console. Did you wire direct from the battery for that? Is there a kit somewhere you got or did you do that yourself?

King springs. Worth it with the ADF lift? I hear it helps with the sway you get from the lift.

Rear tire carrier. Do you like it? Does it squeak? How sturdy does it feel? They say it can act as a class 4 hitch in itself, but that honestly seems super unstable to me.

Trasharoo. It looks like it's blocking the license plate. CA is touchy about that from what I understand. Do you keep it there when moving on road?

Backup camera. Did you end up relocating it, or is the stock location working out?

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Oh man do I have questions for you.

ADF lift, you like it? I saw from your build thread you had ADF install it, would you mind sharing the price with installation?

Electrical plugins. That looks like the back of the center console. Did you wire direct from the battery for that? Is there a kit somewhere you got or did you do that yourself?

King springs. Worth it with the ADF lift? I hear it helps with the sway you get from the lift.

Rear tire carrier. Do you like it? Does it squeak? How sturdy does it feel? They say it can act as a class 4 hitch in itself, but that honestly seems super unstable to me.

Trasharoo. It looks like it's blocking the license plate. CA is touchy about that from what I understand. Do you keep it there when moving on road?
For the backup camera and license plate see my build thread posts 35 and 36, relocated the plate and backup camera is still in stock location so blocked when viewing. I'll live with it for awhile and see if I want to relocate the camera.

Backup camera. Did you end up relocating it, or is the stock location working out?
Got the lift installed by Patrick from ADF, think I got a little deal so just email directly and he can tell you installed cost. Love the lift works reallty well. Quite happy with it.
Yes it is the back of the center console. DId the electrical myself with my brother-in-laws help. but real easy to do. Ran a hot wire from the battery to a new 6 gang fuse and buss under the divers seat then wired the plugs and CB from it. THe CB and plugs are always hot so that is why you see the switches above to turn the plugs off if I need to.
King springs will be added as the weights I am adding to the car demand it. Sitting a little down in the rear with the tire carrier and all the camping gear added in. That is the only reason for the King springs. They are 25-30% over OEM rating. Should get me back level with all the gear added although I understand it will be stiffer for daily driving.
No squeak and pretty rock solid as it has a wedge anchor to really make it solid in the hitch. Just got it installed this week and first real trip with it will be next week so I'll post how it works when I get back. Main reason foro the carrier was I am 62 and hauling the tire up and down off the roof rack is getting old, just like me, HAHA.
5&6.
For the backup camera and license plate see my build thread posts 35 and 36, relocated the plate and backup camera is still in stock location so blocked when viewing. I'll live with it for awhile and see if I want to relocate the camera.

https://overlandbound.com/forums/threads/another-subaru-build-thread.7622/page-2#post-134509
License Plate Mount1.JPG

Last edited: