Subaru Owners Registry

• HTML tutorial

WhiskeyIsMySpiritAnimal

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Scottsdale AZ
Member #

I thought I'd share some pictures from last weekend to show that the off road Subaru scene is thriving. I had the honor of leading 21 Subaru's during a weekend outing through all sorts of terrain. We attracted a ton of attention and a lot of awe when people learned where we went. Can't say enough about the capabilities of Subaru AWD.

View attachment 22390 View attachment 22391 View attachment 22392 View attachment 22393 View attachment 22394 View attachment 22395 View attachment 22396
I really need to hook up with the MountainRoo AZ guys, but I think I need new shoes before trying anything too difficult. The stock tires are not confidence inspiring.

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

escape_the_paradigm

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Newark, CA
Member #

Have any additional info on the behind the grill LED bar?
I followed this guide here: https://projects.geothunder.com/how-to-install-an-led-light-bar-behind-the-grille-of-a-2014-or-newer-subaru-forester/
Here is how mine turned out:

One thing I did a bit different is I mounted the switch inside of the fuse door, did not fill like drilling the switch panel yet.

I ended up mounting the relay on the drivers fender and running the cables through the fender. Its a good spot as its right near the battery and a short run to the cabin via the grommet near the gas pedal:

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I was reading up on the recovery thread a bit ago. It was surprising how much weight multiplies with only just a little bit of mud, let alone when there's an incline, or an angle, etc.

It's why I started thinking about recovery points. I was hoping there were more reinforced spots because money is tight, but I'll likely have to just cave and get something custom built eventually. It's the safest option.
Only ever use the OE recovery points in a relatively straight line pull. As far as in skin bumpers go they're really not that expensive. It doesn't have to look pretty, it just had to work. If you look at the Forester parked next to mine in the last photos you'll see 2 recovery points and a winch hidden (the shackles don't have to be there) in there. Simple design.

I really need to hook up with the MountainRoo AZ guys, but I think I need new shoes before trying anything too difficult. The stock tires are not confidence inspiring.
Good thinking with the tires but absolutely hook up with them. Subaru people are good people and I'm sure you'll have a blast.

Last edited:

Veritablehatter

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Boston, MA
Member #

Only ever use the OE recovery points in a relatively straight line pull. As far as in skin bumpers go they're really not that expensive. It doesn't have to look pretty, it just had to work. If you look at the Forester parked next to mine in the last photos you'll see 2 recovery points and a winch hidden (the shackles don't have to be there) in there. Simple design.
I noticed it when I looked through the photos. It caught my eye as to more of what I was looking for, I'll have to find someone to fab something up.

Sadly, I have to keep the thing somewhat inconspicuous looking.

Escher

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Washington, DC, USA
Member #

Excellent thread! Glad to see so many overland bound Subarus representing! :grinning:

MY06 Forester here. LL Bean Edition in green, aka "the Green Bean." 1" strut top lift from Primitive. King HD springs. Yoko AT-R's on Sparco Terra (I think) wheels.

I thought I'd share some pictures from last weekend to show that the off road Subaru scene is thriving. I had the honor of leading 21 Subaru's during a weekend outing through all sorts of terrain.
21 Subarus going off-road in PA? That is totally awesome, @Wawa Skittletits! :grinning:

Regarding the popularity of Subarus, I recently spent a week in Moab, Utah. There were a ton of tricked out Jeeps. It was the week following the Easter Jeep Safari, after all. However, I was delighted to see lots and lots of Subarus all over the place, too.

No off-roading for me this time. Just did a lot of hiking in Arches and Canyonlands with a borrowed, old GMC farm pickup. But, one day, I shall take the Subaru to Moab! It's on my bucket list. :wink:

Last edited:

Rocky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Loveland, Colorado
Member #

Glad to see there are more Subaru's here.
Mine is a 2011 Forester XT it has a modifide exhaust, 2" Anderson lift (whish I had waited for the 4"), Subaru roof rack with aux LED lights front & rear.
Future is skid plates front, trans, rear. ARB 2000 awning. Custom front push bar grill gard. Custom made tail light gards. Tire Gate spare tire carrier.

Rocky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Loveland, Colorado
Member #

I thought I'd share some pictures from last weekend to show that the off road Subaru scene is thriving. I had the honor of leading 21 Subaru's during a weekend outing through all sorts of terrain. We attracted a ton of attention and a lot of awe when people learned where we went. Can't say enough about the capabilities of Subaru AWD.

View attachment 22390 View attachment 22391 View attachment 22392 View attachment 22393 View attachment 22394 View attachment 22395 View attachment 22396
This look like it would have been fun.
Reminds me of the Jeep Jamboree's when we had a Jeep.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Are you planing on skid plates?
I am on the fence right now on the skid plates have heard the moutning points are weaker on these new models as they changed the mounting points. Still under further review as I really do want the protection. But there is lots of clearance now with the 2" lift.

IMG_2356.JPG IMG_2357.JPG IMG_2364.JPG IMG_2366.JPG IMG_2367.JPG