Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
It would be great if I could get some other Subarus to come out to this year's OB OTG Rally. I was the only Subaru last year and had to prove to the naysayers that my Subaru could go up Bald mountain with no issues.

I hope to get there this year in my Outback but will only have a 2" lift on it and no skid plates. Think I can make it up? Sure would like to try.

Reactions: WanderingCouture

WhiskeyIsMySpiritAnimal

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Scottsdale AZ
Member #

Hello. Just joined but you can count me in the Subaru crew. No mods yet except the basket, probably won't do much until we get our second Forester in fall of this year and I decide which one get's all the goods.

Mods planned are 17" wheels and KO2's in 225/65R17. ADF 2" Lift. Primitive Racing Skids. Lights, awning... the usual. It will never be that hard core of an off-roader as my wife and travel buddy doesn't care for rough trails just for the sake of doing them, so really it's just going to be made a bit more capable to get us to some cools spots to camp and hike and with less chance of a something going wrong or getting damaged.

IMG_7255.JPG P1060771.jpg P1060335.jpg IMG_6226.JPG

WanderingCouture

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Grande Prairie Alberta
Member #

Hey love the rigs! I'm a newer member from Canada #3847, current explorations partner is my lifted 2016 Outback 2.5i w/6 speed, has taken me from the east coast of Canada to the west coast. Hoping to make a few trips down south to enjoy so of the trails and camping I see most of the members States side doing, looks a little warmer [emoji4] IMG_20170312_180628_078.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using OB Talk mobile app

drumber

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Orlando, Orange County, Florida, United States
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Healy
Member #

DSC04101.jpg
My wife's 2012 OB will soon become the family adventure mobile. Its already got some Geolander AT/S tires and will be receiving a Yakima cargo basket outfitted with a light bar, backup lights, shovel, axe, chainsaw, gas cans, etc. Looking into a fridge, ADF Lift and some wheels once I take full possession.

Veritablehatter

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Boston, MA
Member #

Just picked up a 12 Forester and I'll be started in on it soon. Thankfully had a Curt hitch on it before I got in and a back bed liner.

Currently squirreling away cash to get an an AD 2 lift, some skidplates, better tires/wheels, and a ham setup. Eyeing a set of gorilla flaps too.

Cool to see all the Subaru setups!

WanderingCouture

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Grande Prairie Alberta
Member #

Hey ive been working on my 2016 2.5i 6 speed outback for a while, 2" lift, exhaust, now full skid plates, wheel spacers and waiting on some tires and all the overlanding/camping gear i can fit,

Then the other day i just picked up this gem a 99 limited 5speed forester plans are to get custom fabbed 6" lift kit, custom winch mount and as well full skids and tires im hoping hopefully to meet some canadian members here on the west coast would really like to do a subaru rally up north here

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using OB Talk mobile app

Veritablehatter

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Boston, MA
Member #

What do the rest of you folks do for recovery points? I've got a hitch with a shackle, and the front screw in tow hook that comes with all Subarus, but I'm not finding much for extra hardware.

I know the frame is a limiting factor, but are there any front solutions that can be set up with two points in order to spread out the pressure?

Reactions: Ricky-Bobbi

WhiskeyIsMySpiritAnimal

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Scottsdale AZ
Member #

What do the rest of you folks do for recovery points? I've got a hitch with a shackle, and the front screw in tow hook that comes with all Subarus, but I'm not finding much for extra hardware.

I know the frame is a limiting factor, but are there any front solutions that can be set up with two points in order to spread out the pressure?
I want to say most, but not all subies have the screw in recovery point in both the front and rear bumpers.

Personally I would stay away from using a hitch as a recovery point on a Subaru. Most of the hitches are mounted beyond the crumple zone areas of the unibody. Those areas are intentionally weaker than the passenger area so if recovered incorrect you could bend the car.

That said, I don't know why this wouldn't be a risk with the factory recovery points also, but some engineer at Subaru who is smarter than I am has deeded it ok. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I want to say most, but not all subies have the screw in recovery point in both the front and rear bumpers.

Personally I would stay away from using a hitch as a recovery point on a Subaru. Most of the hitches are mounted beyond the crumple zone areas of the unibody. Those areas are intentionally weaker than the passenger area so if recovered incorrect you could bend the car.

That said, I don't know why this wouldn't be a risk with the factory recovery points also, but some engineer at Subaru who is smarter than I am has deeded it ok
The factory recovery points are inline with the structural body while the hitch is not. I also wouldn't recommend using the hitch as a recovery point because of the leveraged forces involved.

I have a tow hook screwed into both ends until I get around to doing bumpers.

Veritablehatter

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Boston, MA
Member #

The factory recovery points are inline with the structural body while the hitch is not. I also wouldn't recommend using the hitch as a recovery point because of the leveraged forces involved.

I have a tow hook screwed into both ends until I get around to doing bumpers.
As I understand it, each side has only one factory recovery point accessible via the removable panel. Do you happen to know if there's another one on the opposite side of the bumper that is reinforced in the same way? (just without the access panel)

I've heard single point recoveries on one side of the car can cause torsion and I want to figure out a way to pull it from two points to spread pressure out.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I thought I'd share some pictures from last weekend to show that the off road Subaru scene is thriving. I had the honor of leading 21 Subaru's during a weekend outing through all sorts of terrain. We attracted a ton of attention and a lot of awe when people learned where we went. Can't say enough about the capabilities of Subaru AWD.

IMG_1548.JPG IMG_1557.JPG IMG_1555.JPG IMG_1551.JPG IMG_1552.JPG IMG_1554.JPG IMG_1550.JPG

@RubySubie @brandon wuchter

Last edited:

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
As I understand it, each side has only one factory recovery point accessible via the removable panel. Do you happen to know if there's another one on the opposite side of the bumper that is reinforced in the same way? (just without the access panel)

I've heard single point recoveries on one side of the car can cause torsion and I want to figure out a way to pull it from two points to spread pressure out.
The actual bumper is identical on both sides under the skin but only has one attachment point that was intended to be used as a recovery point. There are a million variables to consider when talking about required pulling force. Off angle, mired, up hill, etc.. are all going to require a lot more force. If you're serious about it you'll look into getting proper recovery points. A bumper can be custom built and still use the OE bumper cover if stock is the look you're going for.

IMG_1562.JPG

Reactions: Veritablehatter

Veritablehatter

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Boston, MA
Member #

The actual bumper is identical on both sides under the skin but only has one attachment point that was intended to be used as a recovery point. There are a million variables to consider when talking about required pulling force. Off angle, mired, up hill, etc.. are all going to require a lot more force. If you're serious about it you'll look into getting proper recovery points. A bumper can be custom built and still use the OE bumper cover if stock is the look you're going for.

View attachment 22397
I was reading up on the recovery thread a bit ago. It was surprising how much weight multiplies with only just a little bit of mud, let alone when there's an incline, or an angle, etc.

It's why I started thinking about recovery points. I was hoping there were more reinforced spots because money is tight, but I'll likely have to just cave and get something custom built eventually. It's the safest option.

WhiskeyIsMySpiritAnimal

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Scottsdale AZ
Member #

Reactions: drumber