Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central Texas
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Braden
Member #

My only wish(es) is that it had a full piece of steel from the front to the back... and a rear bumper. Back up in the woods with it and you are hitting the door on a rock/tree if you miss the mark. Oh one more thing, an easier way to wire it for power. Getting power into the main compartments is not easy. It can be done though. But for the money I am happy.

Reactions: Rooster & Donna

YotaStyle

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

San Tan Valley AZ
Member #

Nice set up! So the tent rack is adjustable? I have a 4 person Tepui rtt with an annex and am wondering how/if it will fit on the trailer. Looks like yours fits ok.
Same question, been looking at this to take the weight off my truck. but I have the 4 person overlander XL tent already and the trailer looks short. :/

YotaStyle

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

San Tan Valley AZ
Member #

So just went down to 4 Wheel Parts to ask some questions about the Scout. Apparently they cant sell me one until January. They are changing manufacturers and adding more storage?

Reactions: Silverback07

Bulwinkle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Yarmouth, ME, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Michaelsen
Member #

I know that it has been awhile since you shared your changes. I am wondering how you made out with the water tank. I am waiting for a trailer to show up and have some ideas but need to have the trailer in front of me to check reality/dreams. One thing I definitely have planed is to move the spare tire to a separately mounted stock spare tire swing out in the rear. It also opens up ability with stock racks to hold fuel/water on that back swing spare tire set up. Moving the spare to the rear will not only will provide space behind the front box, but will off set some tongue weight for batteries, water tank or fuel storage. ( lucky to have all the tools ) Would love to hear how you are making out.

Reactions: Catabler

blackiestone

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Eureka, CA, USA
First Name
Laura
Last Name
Manzanilla
Member #

Yeah, so happy I found you all. We are looking to get a Scout and do a little customizing. Will be pulled by our Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk v6. Was wondering about performance and how it handles/responds to the rougher roads. Also, we are in San Jose, California and are looking for someone to do the electrical and some customization on the trailer. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Would love to know how this rig is working in the real world. Let me know how you are liking the scout. @Silverback07

Silverback07

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central Texas
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Braden
Member #

Mine is as complete as I've got it. LOL... still want to add a rear bumper w/ swingout and I held off on the 21 gallon water tank... seemed like too much weight. So for now I have 3 5 gallon jerry cans. But this winter I'll pick back up on it. Its just been too hot to do anything with it. I don't think I have any recent photos handy, I pulled the plug on Photobucket.

Bulwinkle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Yarmouth, ME, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Michaelsen
Member #

Here is a photo of how I am installing the bumper. There will be a swing gate for spare and some other mountable items. (2) 3.5 gal Rotopax will be on the inside of the swing gate. The bumper extends @ 6" to accommodate the Rotopax. I had ordered them from 4WD but they are no longer selling them. Turns out they are less $ direct from Rotopax. The bumper is mounted with the stock receiver tube and 2 additional. It will be removable if for some reason it has to come off. Going to add another receiver to the bumper for a bike rack or any other idea that comes up. Bumper is 3x5 x.125.

Attachments

Bulwinkle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Yarmouth, ME, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Michaelsen
Member #

Here are a few additional photos. Still unsure of what to do about an awning. I like the idea of a 270deg, just not sure if it is too much. The photo next to the E Brake is of the wire junction box I used to re-wire.. Did not like how they made up the plug. Used a real cord plug. You can find the cord and box as a set on Amazon for under 15$. I am a nut about wire. It has to be correct, waterproof, and able to be trouble shot if something happens. What they sent was not for the long haul.

Attachments

Reactions: MojaveME

blackiestone

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Eureka, CA, USA
First Name
Laura
Last Name
Manzanilla
Member #

Cool do you notice much movement when you are in the tent or do the stabilizers anchored well?

Bulwinkle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Yarmouth, ME, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Michaelsen
Member #

Very nice photos. I see you added the gas struts. I have been looking at them and wondering what size to get. I saw them first on a Habitat youtube from TX. I think he said they were 100#. Let me know what you think. I ordered some single led button lights (red lens) for a few spots under the frame. Just to give soft light to move around safely. Still working on the bumper and swing for spare. Have to wait for the Rotopax to show before I build the left side of the swing. I think I will have room for a shovel and jack, although I probably want the ability to mount the jack only on the jeep also.

Attachments

Reactions: DBG

DBG

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kamuela, Hawaii County, Hawaii, United States
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Ackerman
Member #

Struts are great. However, I am debating on making the vertical tubes round vice square. I think they will bind less while going up and down. I use spray graphite lube which does help. I wouldn’t even run a spare if the tow rig was same bolt pattern and similar size. I have rotopax mount above right fender.