SCrunner

Rank I

Contributor III

Santa Cruz, CA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
M
Looking to put a roof rack on my 2016 4runner. I would prefer one that extends the full length (no sunroof), can hold a Tepui Tent on the rear half, and can one accommodate a shovel mount, snowboard mount, and an awning. Not all at once, but that would be amazing if possible.

Does anyone have one of their own or any ideas? Thanks!

SCrunner

Rank I

Contributor III

Santa Cruz, CA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
M

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

There are several players, and not all offer full length. Your most oft listed options are Gobi and Baja, for steel, and FrontRunner, PrinSu, and K2 for aluminum. ARB makes both steel and aluminum, but I'm not sure if they are full length.

Here's my thread discussing the aluminum options. I ordered a PrinSu rack.

Roof Rack: First hand experiences with Prinsu, FrontRunner, or K9 Wanted

Reactions: vicali

SCrunner

Rank I

Contributor III

Santa Cruz, CA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
M
There are several players, and not all offer full length. Your most oft listed options are Gobi and Baja, for steel, and FrontRunner, PrinSu, and K2 for aluminum. ARB makes both steel and aluminum, but I'm not sure if they are full length.

Here's my thread discussing the aluminum options. I ordered a PrinSu rack.

Roof Rack: First hand experiences with Prinsu, FrontRunner, or K9 Wanted
Thanks! Do you suggest steel or aluminum? What holds up better for all conditions and better for the long haul?

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Thanks! Do you suggest steel or aluminum? What holds up better for all conditions and better for the long haul?
I have no personal experience with any yet. I've been using a Yakima LoadWarrior basket for about six years. It is steel, but I painted it with frame paint when newly assembled and again a couple of years ago.

I went with aluminum due to salt use on the roads here in Ohio, and PrinSu for the cost, low profile, and modularity. I'm waiting for it to arrive.

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

Prinsu. Love the way it follows the body lines and doesn't look as boxy as the others. I have my CVT RTT on top of it along with a CVT awning and mounts for Rotopax fuel and water. I could add mounts to the back or other side if need be as there is still room.

Cam_Cam_Tech

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ
If you can do aluminum it will keep the weight down and still hold some weight. Anything you out on top you will feel it on and Offroad,

cam_toyota_tech

Lassen

Rank V

Member III

I'm in the process of building my own rack, but to hold it, I opted for the FrontRunner slats for a pair of load bars and four FrontRunner foot sets. I am very impressed with the quality of the materials.

Sent from my iPad using Overland Bound Talk

Teh_Viking

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ventura Ca
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Roosendahl
Member #

The Prinsu is by far the best looking rack for yotas out there, at least that's my opinion. The price is reasonable considering he uses 80/20 aluminum for the crossbars and the raw material cost for that isn't cheap. You can attach all kinds of tie down points an other stuff to the 80/20 as well or add more bars or less when needed. I plan on making a similar low profile rack for my camper shell.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Those factory rails won't hold much more than 175lbs.
Not that it is recommended, but for what it is worth, I've had way more than 175 pounds on the OEM roof rails of both my 4Runner and my Subaru Outback without incident on two cross-country trips, including gravel and forest roads. Both were with the factory rails, but using Thule crossbars. I have had in excess of that on the Outback's OEM crossbars, but not near the load I've had on the Thule.

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
I just purchased a Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform rack. Should be here Monday. Looking forward to it. Aluminum, modular rails, T track, main difference from the Front Runner is that the wide slats go front to back, not side to side. Seems to be lower profile as well. There's a ton of attachments available too

Internet photos
IMG_1313.JPG IMG_1314.JPG