REDARC_Ryan

Rank III

Advocate I

Puyallup, WA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Thurston
This thread got me reading and considering redarc products. I see two limitation from my reading, Redarc does not charge the vehicle battery? Also, Redarc does not posses the ability to join the batteries to be jumped?
I am NOT a RedArc expert….That being said, Your alternator recharges your vehicle battery As you are driving. We have done all of our overlanding with the jeeps only battery for years. Never needed to have my Jeep jumped because we didn’t use its power after we turned the Jeep off. We relied on a GoalZero. IF we ever had need to jump the Jeep we had a charged NOCO battery jumper. You could run a lithium battery in the back that has a 650cca or better and jump your car with jumper cables I suppose. I’m pretty sure Dakota Lithium has one that can do that.

The best solution might be a dual battery setup order the hood and the Redarc Manger 30 & Revision system in the back. THE DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM UP FRONT takes care of everything from the driver forward and the Redarc setup takes care of everything behind the driver.
That is correct, our current product line up does not charge back to start battery without additional Redarc products to support it. Our SBI12 by itself or in conjunction with a BCDC, or Manager30 can be used to conjoin batteries to jump start. Our SBI212 can be used to conjoin batteries to support Jump Start and or Winching.

NoMoreGreen

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Mckinney Texas
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Redacted
Member #

I missed the SBI12/sbi212, that maybe the missing puzzle to my upcoming wiring nightmare.

As for why to charge my vehicle battery; There is always parasitic drains present in vehicles. If I am going to put an expensive dual/three battery system with solar, I want it to keep my vehicle battery charged (Think extended parking/camping). Further, the Toyota Tundra does not properly charge AGM batteries or Lithium batteries. If I install a system, I want it to top off those batteries so I dont have to hook it up to a charger monthly.

Overland True North has the thought of what I am chasing. The dual battery system under the hood for the stuff I want to add immediately (Winch, lights ETC, ARB AIR). Admittedly I had not considered a product like goal zero to help alleviate a desire for a second battery under the hood. More research, that never seems to end.

Reactions: OTH Overland

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
This thread got me reading and considering redarc products. I see two limitations from my reading, Redarc does not charge the vehicle battery? Also, Redarc does not posses the ability to join the batteries to be jumped?
When installing my system, I considered adding the extra gear to be able to combine batteries, but decided against it as I run different types of batteries for vehicle and house, and just do not want to jump off my expensive lipo4 house battery and risk damage, when I already carry a jump pack which will easily start the Jeep if needed. Have been running a single battery in the factory tray for years and never had an issue, allowing a safe work / rest time on my winch when using it to avoid damage to the electric motor, I just do not seem to tax the single battery enough where it does not recover during rest periods. Overall not work the weight, cost, parts or extra wire to back charge to the starting battery. can not imagine sitting in on spot while camping without starting the vehicle to have parasitic draw kill my battery, and that is with a bunch of electronics on standby in the cab. If I was to park my rig for a long period in storage I would just connect a float charger for the starter battery and let the Manager 30 handle keeping the house battery sorted. With the factory alternator the Jeep will charge the house battery at the full 30 amp capacity of the manager 30 at idle.

I have everything electrical that is not factory supplied on either the RedVision system or the SwitchPROS controller depending on if house function or driving function. Two disconnects completely isolate the added equipment from the vehicle and leave it factory if something I added fails on a trip.

Landy-Lee83

Rank IV

Explorer I

Derby, City Of Derby, England, United Kingdom
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Mellors
Member #

Good day you you all.

I have been using Renogy for over a year now and very happy with it. Probably have done 8k miles with this system on and running my 52L National luna fridge. I have a 200ah battery and room on my board for a 240v inverter if i need it. I do not have solar only alternator. When the batter is to 20% it take 2 hours driving to charge. Running the fridge, LED lights and charging phones etc i use around 8% of battery a day and that is with the freezer on!!

IMG_1472.jpg

Reactions: OTH Overland

REDARC_Ryan

Rank III

Advocate I

Puyallup, WA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Thurston
I missed the SBI12/sbi212, that maybe the missing puzzle to my upcoming wiring nightmare.

As for why to charge my vehicle battery; There is always parasitic drains present in vehicles. If I am going to put an expensive dual/three battery system with solar, I want it to keep my vehicle battery charged (Think extended parking/camping). Further, the Toyota Tundra does not properly charge AGM batteries or Lithium batteries. If I install a system, I want it to top off those batteries so I dont have to hook it up to a charger monthly.

Overland True North has the thought of what I am chasing. The dual battery system under the hood for the stuff I want to add immediately (Winch, lights ETC, ARB AIR). Admittedly I had not considered a product like goal zero to help alleviate a desire for a second battery under the hood. More research, that never seems to end.
Give me a shout via email, rthurston@redarcelectronics.com I can walk you through a few options that may work best for you and what you’re trying to achieve.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Gazziza

Rank I

Contributor III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Tin
Last Name
Lev
To add to this discussion, Redarc and Victron are IMO targeted at two very different markets. Just look at their socials. Victron shows their products powering entire homes and million dollar yachts. Redarc show cases their products in a Tacoma. The way I look at it the Redarc is kind of like an Apple iMac. Everything is all-in-one and products within the ecosystem pair well with each other. Performs great at what it does, easy to use and form factor is compact but there is less flexibility and customization. Victron is more like a DIY PC that you put parts together a-la carte. More complicated, less streamline, larger foot print but ultimate customization.

For a vehicle based platform I'd absolutely go Redarc. In a truck or SUV you are limited on space and the less run of wires and less individual components the better. That's where the Redarc system shines. Everything is streamlined in a small package and all the components are meant to work together. I'd also select Redarc for your overland style trailers or teardrops as well.

For a larger travel trailer, slide-in camper or flatbed camper, or van applications I would get the Victron since you have more real estate to work with. Their systems allow you to maximize energy inputs. One of the BIGGEST limitations of the Redarc products is solar input charging. Apparently your charge is limited to a max input voltage of 30V on some of their products, not sure if all however. So if you're running multiple high voltage panels in series as you would in a camper the Redarc stuff can't handle the extra power those panels can harness. 4xOverland actually went over this in a recent video and explained why he changed from a Redarc system to Victron on his troopy. I believe Mario Donovan has said the same as well and why they use the National Luna DC-DC system in their Aterra XL over Redarc. The folks over at Equipt pretty much confirmed the same as well but there's obviously some bias there as well since they import National Luna stuff. On a Jeep, 4R, Tacoma the solar limitation is less of a big deal since you're likely running a single panel.

Both make great products and there's certainly some cross over but I think their target market is quite different. Just have to pick the right product for your application.

Last edited: